Options

Advice for new Ragdoll owner?

Raye1774Raye1774 Posts: 1,028
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I pick up my new kitten tomorrow, she's 3 months old, a bluepoint ragdoll and gorgeous. I had intended to get a boy when she declared her ownership of me and I fell in love.

I have named her Darcy (gave her a choice of several names and that's the only one she responded to) and part of me wishes that tomorrow would hurry up so I can bring her home.

Does anyone have any advice for a Ragdoll owner (I have had cats before, three) but this is my first time going non-moggie? Is there anything that the sites don't tell you about?

Comments

• Options
    clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    Can't offer any Ragdoll advice Raye but hope all goes well for you and Darcy tomorrow!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clm2071 wrote: »
    Can't offer any Ragdoll advice Raye but hope all goes well for you and Darcy tomorrow!

Thank you - tomorrow night in MKR forum I will likely be all "omg she just meowed and oh dear why did they decide to make that :)"
  • Options
    clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    Raye1774 wrote: »
    Thank you - tomorrow night in MKR forum I will likely be all "omg she just meowed and oh dear why did they decide to make that :)"

I expect nothing less ☺
  • Options
    TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    Is she going to be an indoor cat or an outdoor cat?

Where are you getting her from?

My seal colour point

photo4.jpg

My red colourpoint
    008-1.jpg

my blue tabby tortie bicolour
    IMG_20160707_071636540.jpg

3 is a small number most people I know have more, current record holder is two of my friends who both have 10 each
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TWS wrote: »
    Is she going to be an indoor cat or an outdoor cat?

Where are you getting her from?

My seal colour point

photo4.jpg

My red colourpoint
    008-1.jpg

my blue tabby tortie bicolour
    IMG_20160707_071636540.jpg

3 is a small number most people I know have more, current record holder is two of my friends who both have 10 each

She's going to be indoor, mostly because I live in a flat but also because I live in a very busy traffic area. I am getting her from a friend, she's not being sold as a pedigree even though I have seen both her parents (and their certification), she's just going to be my house baby. Her and her two brothers were the first litter of two bluepoints. They've had genetic tests and everything so I know that they are healthy (thank goodness).

Your cats are gorgeous, I have been in love with the breed for a very long time, their nature appeals to me, as well as the fact that they are beautiful.

Unfortunately, I am not allowed more than one pet (and it took a third of a year to get permission to even have that). Luckily (or unluckily) I was made redundant from my full-time job last month so I am at home full time to get her settled.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ultimately she is a cat but as she is an indoor cat, scratch posts tall ones as raggies are bigger than standard moggies.

The main thing is grooming, they all have different coats all mine are different, but they need to be combed forwards and brushed backwards if that makes sense to prevent matts and tangles in their undercoat...get grooming from day one.

Toys toys and toys indoor cats need to be kept entertained they are hard work.

Don't wear black all the time like I do:D

That's just from the one lol
    imagejpg2.jpg
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ultimately she is a cat but as she is an indoor cat, scratch posts tall ones as raggies are bigger than standard moggies.

The main thing is grooming, they all have different coats all mine are different, but they need to be combed forwards and brushed backwards if that makes sense to prevent matts and tangles in their undercoat...get grooming from day one.

Toys toys and toys indoor cats need to be kept entertained they are hard work.

Don't wear black all the time like I do:D

That's just from the one lol
    imagejpg2.jpg

That's one heck of a lot of fur. I will admit that one of the first things I did after she decided she was mine was getting a double-sided grooming brush, that's interesting (the method) will definitely take note of that. I have to say that a main reason I was attracted to the breed (apart from the nature) was the fur, I used to love brushing my old moggie's coat (and his fur was very fine and short).

I have purchased a fair few toys, a few ball things, a layered scratching post and some feather things, and as I am at home I will be able to amuse her (until I get a job - which I hope will be soon).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's one heck of a lot of fur. I will admit that one of the first things I did after she decided she was mine was getting a double-sided grooming brush, that's interesting (the method) will definitely take note of that. I have to say that a main reason I was attracted to the breed (apart from the nature) was the fur, I used to love brushing my old moggie's coat (and his fur was very fine and short).

I have purchased a fair few toys, a few ball things, a layered scratching post and some feather things, and as I am at home I will be able to amuse her (until I get a job - which I hope will be soon).

like I say it depends on their coat, my seal is finer and you can generally just comb forwards and probably get away with twice a week. The other two every other day would be the minimum. I tend to do it every day then give them a webbox stick afterwards to get back in their good graces..

This is the best thing I ever bought for them...may be overkill for the one but they love standing tall to scratch out

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/scratching_posts/customer_favourites/scratch_posts/194645
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    like I say it depends on their coat, my seal is finer and you can generally just comb forwards and probably get away with twice a week. The other two every other day would be the minimum. I tend to do it every day then give them a webbox stick afterwards to get back in their good graces..

This is the best thing I ever bought for them...may be overkill for the one but they love standing tall to scratch out

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/scratching_posts/customer_favourites/scratch_posts/194645

That looks amazing. For now I have a two layer thing with a hammock and loads of rope and hanging mice.

I picked her up this morning and brought her home with me and she batted at the mice a bit but did a runner when one of them smacked her back in the face (was hilarious to watch).

She's currently sleeping on the chair next to my feet having exhausted herself running around the flat like a mad thing for the last half-hour.

https://www.instagram.com/allthedarcy/
  • Options
    CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That looks amazing. For now I have a two layer thing with a hammock and loads of rope and hanging mice.

I picked her up this morning and brought her home with me and she batted at the mice a bit but did a runner when one of them smacked her back in the face (was hilarious to watch).

She's currently sleeping on the chair next to my feet having exhausted herself running around the flat like a mad thing for the last half-hour.

She's gorgeous!

It looks like she's settled in already :kitty:
  • Options
    sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    Gorgeous!

This is my seal point:

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh48/sadmuppet_photos/DSCF0168.jpg

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh48/sadmuppet_photos/DSCF0173.jpg

She's gorgeous but not as laid back and floppy as she's meant to be!

I would also say - don't wear black, and get Darcy used to being groomed.
    Groom every day if possible.

Big (she has a pedigree name, but she's always been 'Big') has extremely dense fur and the under-layer gets very knotty! She has been known to have slugs, snails and twigs tangled in her coat (which obviously Darcy won't being an indoor cat!)
    We have her shaved every year due to the knots and because she gets FAR too hot in the summer - the vet says she has the densest coat he's ever seen....

Here are the before and after photos... :D

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh48/sadmuppet_photos/DSCF0003.jpg

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh48/sadmuppet_photos/after.jpg
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's gorgeous!

It looks like she's settled in already :kitty:

Not quite, she's still finding hiding places and she hasn't made use of her litter tray yet (though I have shown her where it is several times). Right now she's enjoying eating my toes.
  • Options
    kattkatt Posts: 10,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

oh she is beautiful!!
  • Options
    CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    katt wrote: »
    oh she is beautiful!!

Isn't she?!
    Not quite, she's still finding hiding places and she hasn't made use of her litter tray yet (though I have shown her where it is several times). Right now she's enjoying eating my toes.

Aw bless.. how is she doing now?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't she?!

Aw bless.. how is she doing now?

Hi, she is doing amazingly well. I've just taken her to have her vaccinations and get checked over by the vet, she's sleepy, clingy and being generally adorable.

I had to take the bus to the vet (it's not close and I don't drive) and she ended up with lots of fans, everyone who saw her said "she's so beautiful," and "she's gorgeous," think that she enjoyed the admiration a lot more than the journey itself :)
  • Options
    ch34ch34 Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    She is adorable!

I have a Birman and have just bought a Furminator which has been great for keeping his coat groomed, much better than any other brush or comb I've tried.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004WJ0L3Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ch34 wrote: »
    She is adorable!

I have a Birman and have just bought a Furminator which has been great for keeping his coat groomed, much better than any other brush or comb I've tried.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004WJ0L3Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am actually waiting on my order for the furminator...it looked so good, I did a bit of research and realised that it will help no end with the amount of fur that D is shedding right now. Hopefully it will also prevent the hairballs as she is a meticulous cleaner (of herself, not anything else, which is unfortunate, as I was hoping to get her to do the washing up and laundry).