Option - Copy

Loobs72Loobs72 Posts: 631
Forum Member
✭✭
I have only just noticed an option when I go into my planner against recordings there is an option to copy - what is this and what does it do?

Thanks

Comments

• sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you want to record multiple shows to VCR or DVD/HDD recorder, you can set them up with the copy command, and when you press play, playes them back to back.

Also handy if you want to set a play list up (maybe a few cartoon back to back for the kids).
  • CuBz90CuBz90 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you want to record multiple shows to VCR or DVD/HDD recorder, you can set them up with the copy command, and when you press play, playes them back to back.

Also handy if you want to set a play list up (maybe a few cartoon back to back for the kids).

I never really thought of that! My son watches alot of spongebob so using the "copy" option would be much easier to use as a playlist. Thanks for that.
  • Loobs72Loobs72 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got excited for a minute there. I thought I would be able to copy from my box downstairs to the one upstairs.

How do you record from sky box to DVD?
  • big_hard_ladbig_hard_lad Posts: 4,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loobs72 wrote: »
    I got excited for a minute there. I thought I would be able to copy from my box downstairs to the one upstairs.

How do you record from sky box to DVD?

With a DVD Recorder.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With a DVD Recorder.

But how do you record sky?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loobs72 wrote: »
    But how do you record sky?

Connect DVD recorder to Sky box, set DVD recorder input to whichever input you plugged Sky box in, press record.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 133
    Forum Member
    hahaha
    should not laugh but cant help it.
    you are basically using your sky output like a live tv channel.
    using your scart output (tv output for rgb)to record onto a dvd recorder as you used to with a vcr.no different.
    not going to be in hd but you can archive any programme this way in the best possible way you are allowed to.
    it works fine for stuff you want to keep and its better than vhs ever was.
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spudmorley wrote: »
    hahaha
    should not laugh but cant help it.
    you are basically using your sky output like a live tv channel.
    using your scart output (tv output for rgb)to record onto a dvd recorder as you used to with a vcr.no different.
    not going to be in hd but you can archive any programme this way in the best possible way you are allowed to.
    it works fine for stuff you want to keep and its better than vhs ever was.

I think I can add to that so HD can be recorded, use a HDMI to composite converter so that you have an analogue YPrPb (along with the audio) going to an external PVR that can record an analogue HD this way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    I think I can add to that so HD can be recorded, use a HDMI to composite converter so that you have an analogue YPrPb (along with the audio) going to an external PVR that can record an analogue HD this way.

Didn't think there were any PVR that can record an external HD source?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oh really? it would have to be onto a computer then with the right hardware/software
  • webbiewebbie Posts: 1,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Something like a pc with a Hauppauge colossus card in it. Or a Hauppauge hd-pvr.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    webbie wrote: »
    Something like a pc with a Hauppauge colossus card in it. Or a Hauppauge hd-pvr.

Im not going mad then one does exist! I bet its expensive compared to other makes of PVRs

I just checked the prices out £100-200 is not overly priced for a PVR. I believe so worth it if anyone is getting one and I suggest a HDMI to composite YPrPb converter, as in a digital out from a Sky box might carry copy protection and converting to an analogue form would probably strip this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's a hdmi to component video converter:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HDMI-To-RGB-5RCA-Component-YPbPr-Stereo-Audio-HD-Video-Converter-Fr-PS3-Apple-TV-/190685306090?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item2c65badcea#ht_2518wt_986
    This is hdcp compatible so will work with a sky hd box. If you're using a Hauppauge device, use the 5.1 optical audio from the sky hd box.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Straight forward English rather than all this techy speak would be really helpful :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    webbie wrote: »
    Here's a hdmi to component video converter:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HDMI-To-RGB-5RCA-Component-YPbPr-Stereo-Audio-HD-Video-Converter-Fr-PS3-Apple-TV-/190685306090?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item2c65badcea#ht_2518wt_986
    This is hdcp compatible so will work with a sky hd box. If you're using a Hauppauge device, use the 5.1 optical audio from the sky hd box.

Thanks for completing things now people can do what they could do with a Thompson box on all sky boxes!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im not going mad then one does exist! I bet its expensive compared to other makes of PVRs

I just checked the prices out £100-200 is not overly priced for a PVR. I believe so worth it if anyone is getting one and I suggest a HDMI to composite YPrPb converter, as in a digital out from a Sky box might carry copy protection and converting to an analogue form would probably strip this.

I stand corrected then, never seern one of them before.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hauppauge-Capture-Definition-Hardware-Encoders/dp/B001M0MY10/ref=cm_lmf_tit_1
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think Sky and the HD rights holders have completely missed this! it makes all their attempts to stamp out the Thompson Sky+HD box pointless really! and they might as well use the money for upgrading people with old SD boxes to be HD!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my opinion, the Hauppauge colossus is a better option over the hd-pvr if your pc is up to it. No extra box and power supply required. No flaky usb2 connection to worry about.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    Has anybody successfully used the Hauppauge Colossus to transfer HD content to a PC and subsequently to a Blu-ray disk ? are there not encryption issues ?

Or do you have to convert to Component ?

How does 5.1 work does the unit except 5.1 via HDMI or do you need to use the optical connection ?

Thanks
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think there is encryption issues or the like over HDMI thats why I suggested a HDMI to composite YPrPb converter, but if its only short cables, I wouldnt have thought there would be a noticeable loss in quality from converting to an analogue form and back to digital and its still HD!
  • davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think there is encryption issues or the like over HDMI thats why I suggested a HDMI to composite YPrPb converter, but if its only short cables, I wouldnt have thought there would be a noticeable loss in quality from converting to an analogue form and back to digital and its still HD!
    Try getting the correct terminology - it is an HDMI to component converter (NOT composite) you should be referring to. Component video is capable of carrying HD video signals , composite video is NOT and is just above RF analogue in terms of video quality (i.e. the second lowest quality).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, you will need a hdmi to component (not composite) converter - see post 14.
    And some component video cables (phono to phono x 3) to connect to the colossus. I think the hd-pvr comes with those cables, but not the colossus. Both the colossus and hd-pvr have optical sockets for 5.1 dolby digital sound. So you'll need an optical cable as well if you don't already have one.
    You can burn to a blu-ray but you will need appropriate software - TS muxer is free and wll create blu-ray files that you can use with imgburn. If you need to edit you will need some hd editing software. You might get some bundled with your blu-ray burner.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    Yea sorry meant component

So even though the Colossus accepts HDMI you still have to convert to component, does this remove the encryption issues ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try getting the correct terminology - it is an HDMI to component converter (NOT composite) you should be referring to. Component video is capable of carrying HD video signals , composite video is NOT and is just above RF analogue in terms of video quality (i.e. the second lowest quality).

yes My mistake I did mean component not composite
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With the colossus you still need the hdmi to component converter as the hdmi socket complies with hdcp and prevents copying.
    The converter I linked to and the Hdfury2 or 3 ignore the hdcp so are fine to use with the colossus analogue inputs. Just keep the leads short and of good quality and you'll be fine.