Options

Rumour: Amazon Fire TV Stick coming to UK tomorrow

Available for a special price for 2 days only (maybe Prime customers only)

£40 instead of £20?

Pure speculation based on previous events, US price and the fact there is a banner on the front page of Amazon who's JPEG name starts fts_

(Fire TV Stick?)

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/02/kindle/merch/2014/campaign/fs/fts_promo-teaser-lp-d-uk-900x300._V310272475_.jpg

Comments

• Options
    SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trainer99 wrote: »

£40 instead of £20?

Pure speculation based on previous events, US price and the fact there is a banner on the front page of Amazon who's JPEG name starts fts_

(Fire TV Stick?)

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/02/kindle/merch/2014/campaign/fs/fts_promo-teaser-lp-d-uk-900x300._V310272475_.jpg

I might get one after this deal has finished.:)
  • Options
    Trainer99Trainer99 Posts: 252
    Forum Member

Check

Check
    £40 instead of £20?

£19 instead of £35 for Prime customers.
  • Options
    DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My offer today is for £7 after refund, instead of £35, for new annual Prime members £79 pa.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    Can you insert in to the USB input on a DVD player instead of direct into a tv?
    Thx in advance :)
  • Options
    tony le mesmertony le mesmer Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can you insert in to the USB input on a DVD player instead of direct into a tv?
    Thx in advance :)

They recommend plugging it in to the wall as tv and dvd usb ports often don't provide enough power.
  • Options
    richparrrichparr Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    Quite tempted by the £7 offer, may finally go for a paid 'Prime' membership.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    They recommend plugging it in to the wall as tv and dvd usb ports often don't provide enough power.

Hi Thx for the reply.
    Prob didn't explain myself prop :blush:
    I meant can you play via the usb input in a DVD/BLU player
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Thx for the reply.
    Prob didn't explain myself prop :blush:
    I meant can you play via the usb input in a DVD/BLU player

They use a HDMI port for video, you use the USB port for power.
  • Options
    Placebo_PRSPlacebo_PRS Posts: 149
    Forum Member
    Anyone know how you're supposed to get one of these if you're in a non Amazon country portal? I'm in Sweden and Amazon UK won't sell it outside the UK, Amazon DE not outside Germany etc. etc.
  • Options
    abigail1234abigail1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it worth it? I subscribe to Netflix (two screens) and Amazon Prime (one screen - all that's on offer!) and we have several TV sets. Would this enable us to use Netflix on a 3rd screen - or indeed Amazon? And iPlayer and suchlike?
  • Options
    millimole2001millimole2001 Posts: 342
    Forum Member
    Anyone know how you're supposed to get one of these if you're in a non Amazon country portal? I'm in Sweden and Amazon UK won't sell it outside the UK, Amazon DE not outside Germany etc. etc.

No answer, but I suspect that's illegal under EU rules; all markets should be available to all of EU.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No answer, but I suspect that's illegal under EU rules; all markets should be available to all of EU.

Good point that actually!

I already have Amazon Prime USA which I use with SmartDNS so no interest in UK/DE Amazon Prime, I just want the the Fire TV Stick for the reduced £19 price, guess I'll need to find someone in the UK or Germany to receive it and post it on to me, I'm assuming the actual stick can't have any kind of regional locks on it?
  • Options
    ovbgovbg Posts: 1,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good point that actually!

I already have Amazon Prime USA which I use with SmartDNS so no interest in UK/DE Amazon Prime, I just want the the Fire TV Stick for the reduced £19 price, guess I'll need to find someone in the UK or Germany to receive it and post it on to me, I'm assuming the actual stick can't have any kind of regional locks on it?

It's probably too late now, but yes, you will need to know someone to send it to in the US, Austria, Germany or UK. Buying from the US may incur import duty.

Alternatively, you can use a redirecting company. It works like this, you ship to this company, and they forward it on to you - of course for an additional fee. I've never used one in the UK or Germany (since I live in Germany and have friends or family in the UK who function as such ;) ) But they do exist.

The Stick itself has no regional locks. You can set it up to work with a US Prime account, as long as you have some way to unblock (usually Smart DNS which can be set up directly in the Stick).

You can even mix apps from different countries using a simple hack (see here), so you can also throw in the BBC iPlayer, STV Player, Demand 5 and full, live UK TV from TVPlayer (pretty cool that bit). Netflix works on it, and so does Hulu if you have that - with all sitting side-by-side.
    Is it worth it? I subscribe to Netflix (two screens) and Amazon Prime (one screen - all that's on offer!) and we have several TV sets. Would this enable us to use Netflix on a 3rd screen - or indeed Amazon? And iPlayer and suchlike?

Yes, as long as only two instances of Netflix are running at any given time. There is no limit on how many Netflix apps you have in your account, but on your sub, you can only play two at a time. Not a big deal really, unless you really have a lot of people watching a lot of TV, and then you will need to up your Netflix account to the Premium version which allows for 4 concurrent streams.

iPlayer has no limit on how many screens you can watch at any given time.

As for Amazon Prime, you can stream up to two titles at the same time using the same Amazon.com account. You can stream the same title to no more than one device at a time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ovbg wrote: »
    Alternatively, you can use a redirecting company.

Thanks! Ironically enough I sort of did this earlier, decided to go with the Fire TV, saw that Sling TV were giving a $50 off voucher (or free Fire Stick) if you signed up for 3 months, was curious how well it'd work from Sweden via Unlocator so signed up to that and got the Fire TV for $49.99 then used usgobuy.com to redirect it to me, fingers crossed all will work out well!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks! Ironically enough I sort of did this earlier, decided to go with the Fire TV, saw that Sling TV were giving a $50 off voucher (or free Fire Stick) if you signed up for 3 months, was curious how well it'd work from Sweden via Unlocator so signed up to that and got the Fire TV for $49.99 then used usgobuy.com to redirect it to me, fingers crossed all will work out well!

Yes, it should work out well. You may get stung by customs duty depending on how usgobuy.com priced your delivery. But even if they do, it is not a big deal and well worth it.

I often watch Sling TV on my AFTV Stick. In fact, I'm watching now and seeing a crisp, live stream of 4100kbps from A&E. Sling TV is great value if you like the channels it has on offer, and it is likely to get even more soon.
  • Options
    SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For those who ordered on the 2 day discount days the Fire Stick’s are out for delivery today.

Just as if you didn’t know.:D
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Yep a couple of guys in work, just had theirs delivered.
  • Options
    kegsiekegsie Posts: 2,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got mine today. Seems quite slick on the quick play I had with it.

Now I need to see what goodies I can sideload onto it....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SkipTracer wrote: »
    For those who ordered on the 2 day discount days the Fire Stick’s are out for delivery today.

Just as if you didn’t know.:D

Mine has arrived today.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kegsie wrote: »
    Got mine today. Seems quite slick on the quick play I had with it.

Now I need to see what goodies I can sideload onto it....

Let's us know. I've got the it's full sized brother. KODI works really well on it. Have installed one or two others that I think forum rules prevent me from mentioning. DM me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had one for a while (from US) and it is noticeably more sluggish than the box.

Since I haven't seen any hardware updates in the UK model, I expect it will be the same. Not that it has problems playing anything, but navigating can suddenly freeze up every now and again.

Full review explaining this here.
  • Options
    Davidjohn31Davidjohn31 Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Mine arrived today works a treat too
  • Options
    pokemasterpokemaster Posts: 1,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I downloaded the "pokemon tv" app to the fire tv stick, but can't seem to select an episode to watch when its on, any ideas?
  • Options
    richparrrichparr Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    Mine also arrived today.:)

just had a quick play, nice and easy to get going, will have a longer play around with it later .
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Ours arrived too :) loving the fact that we have youtube back on our telly after the app disappeared from our Samsung tv.

It was so easy to set up and is simple to use.