Labour Party candidate suspended - sent messages to the sixth former

Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
Forum Member
A Labour Party candidate has been investigated by police over ‘inappropriate’ social media contact with a 17-year-old public schoolgirl.

******************, 30, is said to have sent messages to the sixth former after addressing students at Wellingborough School, Northamptonshire, last week.

It is believed the girl’s mother alerted the school after discovering he had been contacting her daughter.

Allegedly the would-be MP asked the girl whether she was doing anything that night and if she was ‘ready for bed?’.

Last night the Labour Party did not respond to questions about its disgraced candidate’s dealings with schoolgirls, but said in a letter to Garvie that he had been suspended over his conviction for the fraudulent purchase of rail tickets. Garvie is appealing his suspensio

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3064732/Police-probe-Labour-parliamentary-hopeful-went-Snapchat-asked-public-schoolgirl-17-Ready-bed-yet.html#ixzz3YvVkdVXO
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

All alleged at this time.

I thought Labour did good checks of its would-be MP's. Clearly not.

Comments

• CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    The article says that police said no offence had been committed, so why are the Mail bringing it up?

He had no chance of beating Peter Bone in Wellingborough anyway.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Clearly a personal matter with no relevance to the guys party.

Perhaps he just mistyped the text though and actually meant to ask the sixth former if she was ready for Ed?
  • StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is it ************ at the beginning and then his names appears later?

Not quite sure why its even a story, she's 17.
  • Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    Sky_Guy wrote: »

Are you just desperately trawling the internet to try and find absolutely anything (no matter how irrelevant) to discredit Labour MP's?

It's a bit silly IMO.

Most people make their minds up on the policies/manifesto - dragging up stuff to discredit individuals with links to the Labour party is a bit desperate.
    Forum Member
    Staunchy wrote: »
    Not quite sure why its even a story, she's 17.

You have something of a point, but it's not all that surprising that people would be bothered by it. I'm roughly the same age as this guy, and I think that people would frown on my having that sort of conversation with a 17 year old, even though it isn't illegal.
  • greenyonegreenyone Posts: 3,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you just desperately trawling the internet to try and find absolutely anything (no matter how irrelevant) to discredit Labour MP's?

It's a bit silly IMO.

Most people make their minds up on the policies/manifesto - dragging up stuff to discredit individuals with links to the Labour party is a bit desperate.

I was going to post the same thing
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a bit grubby, but 17 occurs after 16, not before.
  • StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cryolemon wrote: »
    You have something of a point, but it's not all that surprising that people would be bothered by it. I'm roughly the same age as this guy, and I think that people would frown on my having that sort of conversation with a 17 year old, even though it isn't illegal.
    Yes, they would, I agree, some would I wouldn't. unless the young woman herself says its dodgy who am I to judge?
    Forum Member

It's a bit silly IMO.

The fraud is an issue. The SnapChat messages less so.
  • Fixit AgainFixit Again Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grubby and reprehensible, but not a political issue.
    Forum Member
    Staunchy wrote: »
    Yes, they would, I agree, some would I wouldn't. unless the young woman herself says its dodgy who am I to judge?

I agree with you, but clearly a number of people don't lol.
  • alfamalealfamale Posts: 10,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You're winning that race to the bottom.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member

It's a bit silly IMO.

If any one bothers to look hard enough you will of course find plenty of such stories - and other personal failings and worse - for members/,candidates of all parties. People who stand as candidates in elections are human beings and have their failings and do unpleasant things and commit crimes just like people who aren't politically engaged.

Doesn't mean the entire party membership does that or endorses it.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Must admit I don't reeeally get the problem here.

17 isn't underage.

He's 30, fair enough, but I must admit when I saw a picture of him I thought he was younger. Was quite suprised to find out he was that old.

Even saying that though, 17 and 30? Not massively uncommon to find similar couples, and even cases far 'worse'. I once knew a 17 year old going out with a chap who was about 50... now *that* was wrong, even if it was legal.
  • Oliver TwistOliver Twist Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    The problem is we've got a Camernob fanboy trying to get his end away yet
    again!
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Like the thread on the ukip candidate making an "antisemitic" comment, this is irrelevant to party politics and the election.

Can't you find anything serious to debate?
  • David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is it about some of the DS left and their obsession with controlling what is, and what is not, permissible by way of debate?

For months now we've been hearing about how irrelevant Ed's looks / voice / eating habits etc. are and that he should be judged on his character. Now we have a story that's very much about character - only to be told it's irrelevant.

It was serious enough to come to the attention of the Police, who investigated it and made sure Garvie heard their views on his conduct. And you can bet your life they'll be keeping an eye out for him in future.

What with the fraud case, Labour dodged a bullet with this guy. That's the story here and it is a perfectly genuine one.
  • Deirdre BarlowDeirdre Barlow Posts: 298
    Forum Member

It's a bit silly IMO.

Sky_guy = Troll.
  • greenyonegreenyone Posts: 3,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »
    What is it about some of the DS left and their obsession with controlling what is, and what is not, permissible by way of debate?

For months now we've been hearing about how irrelevant Ed's looks / voice / eating habits etc. are and that he should be judged on his character. Now we have a story that's very much about character - only to be told it's irrelevant.

It was serious enough to come to the attention of the Police, who investigated it and made sure Garvie heard their views on his conduct. And you can bet your life they'll be keeping an eye out for him in future.

What with the fraud case, Labour dodged a bullet with this guy. That's the story here and it is a perfectly genuine one.

So you won't complain if we bombard this forum with unsavoury Tory news then :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    greenyone wrote: »
    So you won't complain if we bombard this forum with unsavoury Tory news then :)

A one liner that gives so much away...

Personally, no. I've been here a while and am more than used to it. However the mods might take a different view; that you're only posting here just to stir things up.
  • terry45terry45 Posts: 2,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky_guy = Troll.

Well he certainly has form on here under other names.
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Unlike you, I don't think this is a left / right issue. I find personal attacks on individuals as an attempt to prove a political point quite distasteful.

Unless it is part of a wider patten within the party, or the party turned a blind eye, this has nothing to do with politics.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A one liner that gives so much away...

Personally, no. I've been here a while and am more than used to it. However the mods might take a different view; that you're only posting here just to stir things up.

So you don't think the OP of this thread is stirring things up?

Complete none story as you only need to pop down to your local supermarket to see younger woman with older guys.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unlike you, I don't think this is a left / right issue. I find personal attacks on individuals as an attempt to prove a political point quite distasteful.

Unless it is part of a wider patten within the party, or the party turned a blind eye, this has nothing to do with politics.

Oh FGS. It's not a personal attack. It's a report of an issue with a prospective MP that involved the police.

Would you rather this kind of thing was swept under the rug and we never heard about it?