The DS Eurovision General Discussion Thread (Part 58)

Comments

• phill363phill363 Posts: 24,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rosetta12 wrote: »
    And they say Eurovision isn't political...
    https://twitter.com/HelenaKasp/status/594205650437144577

What goods a 1000 signature petition going to do in a continent of over 700,000,000, people need to give it a rest
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The UK jury is kind of appalling and full of conflicts of interest. Two out of all of them are not employed by BBC Worldwide. Shady lady indeed.

The dead hand of BBC Light Entertainment is certainly not letting go of Eurovision. And to think we all joked Arlene Phillips would be wheeled out to do the staging! Not so funny now. Another thing that concerns me is that 2 of the jury members are voice coaches so will mark down anyone who's not note perfect. Someone should remind the BBC it's a song contest not a singing contest.
  • EuroFoxiEuroFoxi Posts: 12,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Mrs ChecksMrs Checks Posts: 8,371
    Forum Member
    Another thing that concerns me is that 2 of the jury members are voice coaches so will mark down anyone who's not note perfect. Someone should remind the BBC it's a song contest not a singing contest.

To be fair, we don't know for sure that they'll do that. I know our jury is terrible, but let's not jump to conclusions before they've done their job.

Plus if Yvie Burnett's comments on the vocal talents of the acts of The Big Reunion are anything to go by, she has very low standards :D
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least one Brit and former BBC employee is extremely unhappy at the Beeb's approach this year :

http://www.breakingnews.ie/showbiz/sarah-cawood-slams-bbc-eurovision-arrogance-675096.html
  • thmsthms Posts: 61,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    voted in eurovoix and now watching the automated 'live' results..
    almost at the halfway point. but, still along way to go to see who is leading.
    (56 people have voted)

edit results are in

UK on 126 points and 9th place!

1st Albania
    2nd Italy
    3rd Azerbaijan
    4th Sweden
  • AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're not allowed on the jury if you work for the BBC so there's some bending of the rules going on here...certainly not complying with the spirit of the regulations. One BBC show alone (Strictly) has given us our choreographer and two jury members. I'm only slightly surprised Bruce Forsyth isn't a jury member to complete the Strictly take over ;-)
    (yes I know he's not on it these days)

Working on a show that is broadcast on the BBC doesn't automatically make you an employee of the BBC though. And I don't see what the issue is anyway.

Nothing wrong with having vocal coaches or singers on the jury as far as I can see.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    God what a racket... EV on Radio 2 is terrible! The scat part was anyway, replaced it with numerous horns going off. I did prefer it without that though... :blush: They did well though.
  • nick1990nick1990 Posts: 4,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EuroFoxi wrote: »
    God what a racket... EV on Radio 2 is terrible! The scat part was anyway, replaced it with numerous horns going off. I did prefer it without that though... :blush: They did well though.

I'm really confused if you liked it or not!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nick1990 wrote: »
    I'm really confused if you liked it or not!

Me too! :D:D:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AcerBen wrote: »
    Working on a show that is broadcast on the BBC doesn't automatically make you an employee of the BBC though. And I don't see what the issue is anyway.

Nothing wrong with having vocal coaches or singers on the jury as far as I can see.

yes I know they're not directly employed by the BBC that's why I spoke about it not being in the spirit of the regulation ("Members of the jury must not be employees of Participating Broadcasters"). Whether it's Tony Blackburn or these Strictly people most people would view them as working on the BBC if not 'for' them. The point of the EBU rule is so that broadcasters don't fill juries with jurors that will follow a broadcaster's agenda.
    I've no issue with singers in the jury but why include people whose job is to focus on vocal ability when the EBU have just dropped that criteria from the list of what jurors are meant to be marking on? Though I doubt the BBC are even aware of that change!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EuroFoxi wrote: »

To be honest I think I preferred this new 'ragtime' version of the song. It sounded less 'artificial' than the more electronic studio version.
  • BigBmadBigBmad Posts: 18,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont mind EV, was disappointed at first as wanted something that could really fight at the top. But better then bonnie and the hump.

Loving Norway, hoping with a good placing it could do what netherlands done last year. Such a powerful song
  • BBAnneBBAnne Posts: 23,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OGAE votes are coming in, the first 4 have been revealed

https://eurovisiontimes.wordpress.com/2015/05/01/ogae-2015-first-four-votes-revealed/
  • thengp12thengp12 Posts: 5,670
    Forum Member
    yes I know they're not directly employed by the BBC that's why I spoke about it not being in the spirit of the regulation ("Members of the jury must not be employees of Participating Broadcasters"). Whether it's Tony Blackburn or these Strictly people most people would view them as working on the BBC if not 'for' them. The point of the EBU rule is so that broadcasters don't fill juries with jurors that will follow a broadcaster's agenda.
    I've no issue with singers in the jury but why include people whose job is to focus on vocal ability when the EBU have just dropped that criteria from the list of what jurors are meant to be marking on? Though I doubt the BBC are even aware of that change!

Just a thought maybe Dave and Tommy are "out of contract" so to speak so are therefore unemployed by the BBC. That could be the justification of their presence on the Jury panel. Same goes for the Voice couple.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thengp12 wrote: »
    Just a thought maybe Dave and Tommy are "out of contract" so to speak so are therefore unemployed by the BBC. That could be the justification of their presence on the Jury panel. Same goes for the Voice couple.

Quite possibly... though Tony Blackburn wasn't unemployed when he was on the jury. I suspect all these people are employed by companies that act as middle men between the BBC and the individuals. Graham Norton probably isn't even technically a BBC employee but employed by his production company who then deal with the Beeb.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How did it work last year with Carrie Grant she's employed directly by the BBC isn't she
  • JaccobabeJaccobabe Posts: 27,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • thengp12thengp12 Posts: 5,670
    Forum Member
    Jaccobabe wrote: »

Glass houses and stones spring to mind
  • NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I must admit, they are a breath of fresh air.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They don't even like each other in the band, could be like Six4one again on that stage :D
  • thmsthms Posts: 61,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i'm putting on the kettle, when it's their turn
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Conchita interviewed on Graham Norton's radio show right now. 'Unstoppable' is a great song. Hope she gets to sing it in 3 weeks's time during the final
  • steeleuro_wolfsteeleuro_wolf Posts: 13,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So much for getting into the spirit of the contest. I really hope they get knocked out in the semi final.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh Rosetta will be proud. :p Yeah if they were nice guys, maybe I would invest in their story. But they don't come across like that at all. It's unique, so I get their point. But there's better ways of putting it, really. I think it'll get a good reception from the televote, but the jury's might make it bomb. (With any luck :blush:)
This discussion has been closed.