'The Girl' Hitchcock/Hedren Drama on BBC Two, 9pm.

Comments

• welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As always in these cases we never get to hear the other side of the story - but this has been very good
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    really enjoying this and can see why both Toby jones and SIenna Miller have been nominated for a golden globe for this.
  • tracystapestracystapes Posts: 3,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But Tippi Hedren who is alive and well gave consent to this, spoke to Sienna Miller about the part and has viewed it, praised it and said it was very much like the time in her life. I think Tippi is trustworthy enough to believe this drama did her story (I repeat her story, because like someone else said, there are always two sides) justice.
  • ExistentialistExistentialist Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was well produced but felt it was a bit of a character assassination. No surprise it was written by a woman.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should be showing 'The Birds' now, not 'Rebecca' :rolleyes:
  • Jo MarchJo March Posts: 9,256
    Forum Member
    I knew he was a bit of a lecher,?[ but having a hatchet-faced wife and working with hot chicks like Kelly, Novak, Leigh and Miles is it any wonder he tried it on occasionally?
    Nah...good for him.....what else is a guy, in that situation, supposed to do? :rolleyes:
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member

I'd prefer Marnie myself.
    Forum Member
    Jo March wrote: »
    Nah...good for him.....what else is a guy, in that situation, supposed to do :rolleyes:

I suspect someone's on a gee-up, I certainly hope so.

I read somewhere he kept Hedren on contract and on retainer for 2 years and wouldn't let her work for other directors.
  • topcat3topcat3 Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »
    As always in these cases we never get to hear the other side of the story - but this has been very good

hmm so the Telegraph are saying its not true and his other leading ladies had no bother from him. I wonder who the writers source is? Tippi herself or hearsay?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Doesn't make much sense does it? There are two Hitchcock films on, neither have her in.
    Forum Member
    I suspect someone's on a gee-up, I certainly hope so.

I read somewhere he kept Hedren on contract and on retainer for 2 years and wouldn't let her work for other directors.
    Me too.....I'm rather tired after all the celebrations so perhaps my sense of humour isn't quite what it usually is...:D

Thought that was an engrossing drama with excellent performances from both leads .....he was a cruel so and so...:mad:
    Forum Member
    topcat3 wrote: »
    hmm so the Telegraph are saying its not true and his other leading ladies had no bother from him. I wonder who the writers source is? Tippi herself or hearsay?
    It said at the beginning of it that it is based on extensive research, including interviews with Tippi Hendren and Hitchcock's surviving cast and crew.
  • topcat3topcat3 Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jo March wrote: »
    It said at the beginning of it that it is based on extensive research, including interviews with Tippi Hendren and Hitchcock's surviving cast and crew.

ahh missed the start
    Forum Member
    I thought it was well produced but felt it was a bit of a character assassination. No surprise it was written by a woman.

What's Donald Spoto’s excuse for the The Dark Side of Genius, then?
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd prefer Marnie myself.

I would too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never seen 'Marnie' funnily enough.

Wasn't it Tippi who was on an 8 year contract with Hitchcock and that's what she claimed "finished her career" because during that time he didn't hire her once (after 'Marnie') nor let her do other projects. B*stard.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,832
    Forum Member
    Considering the content of Marnie, it would certainly add some fuel to the "Hitchcock was a pervert" debate :eek:
  • The_TykeThe_Tyke Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    Another really good drama on the Beeb and FANTASTIC acting by Toby Jones, we really do have the best actors/actresses in this country.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The DVD is out in January. I'm really hoping it has some special features like a 'making of' or 'behind the scenes' but with BBC DVD that's always usually so limited :(
    Forum Member
    I've never seen 'Marnie' funnily enough.

Wasn't it Tippi who was on an 8 year contract with Hitchcock and that's what she claimed "finished her career" because during that time he didn't hire her once (after 'Marnie') nor let her do other projects. B*stard.

Oh that's a cracking film, also after a quick hunt round it's one I don't have in my Hitchcock collection.

Kept her out of work but on retainer for 2 years, probably enough to get the rumour mill going, that she was difficult, etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know that Hitchcock, though he made 3 films with Grace Kelly, only made one film with Kim Novak (Vertigo, now considered not only to be Hitchcock's best film but also the best film ever made, ahead of Citizen Kane) and one film with Eva Marie Saint. Apparently, he wanted Eva Marie Saint for Torn Curtain but the studio insisted on Julie Andrews instead. I think Kim Novak's performance in Vertigo is the best performance ever by any actress in any of Hitchcock's films. I'm surprised he did not try to do further work with Novak, rather than promote Tippi Hedren, who was pretty much unknown until Hitchcock decided to make her a star, but thereafter stifle her career.
  • OrangecrabOrangecrab Posts: 1,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For anyone who wants to watch Hitchcock's "The Birds", it happens to be on tomorrow 27 December at 11:00 pm on ITV3. I will certainly be watching it again!
  • mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are already some disputes over the beebs portrayal of Hitchcock:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/9766218/BBC-under-fire-over-Hitchcock-drama.html
  • Stephen_SimpsonStephen_Simpson Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its hard to form an opinion of whether this was true or not, when both sides are coming out with their stories. The thing is, more people are siding with Hitchcock than Tippi on this.

I didn't like this drama. The pacing was crap, the acting underwhelming and ultimately left a sour taste in my mouth. You can believe this story or not, but I reckon this could have been much better made. It felt to me too rushed.
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,233
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder what Hitch's daughter has to say on this drama?