labour mp's told to abstain EU referendum

Comments

• allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol, no he's played an ace

He's actually played a deuce because he couldn't count the spots. Both he and you can't quite work out that whatever the vote might be on the EU, over three quarters of voters want a referendum.
    Seriously though all Cameron's been played, his nervous backbenchers know it and so does he

I see far less nervousness in Cameron's back benchers than I do in Miliband's front benchers. And no, I'm not a Cameron fan, I see little between him and Miliband, other than one still wears short trousers...:D:D:D
    I thought it might be his last card to make sure he get's given the opportunity to lead his party at the next elections, I think if he doesn't get this through then it's less likely the Tories will keep him

Cameron's on a win-win with this, whether or not it gets through. Meanwhile, Miliband holds just black aces and eights.
    I mean he wanted to convince people he himself made that promise and it could play well. Now he has an unpopular Government and can't even offer the public a vote

He's offered one....Miliband is trying to deny him.
  • David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Labour don't want to be known as the party that when asked, voted against giving people a decision about whether to stay in Europe.

That's all this is about.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UKIP support in the polls is dropping.

The whole Europe thing was always just a passing fad.

No one really cares about staying or leaving. Except those deeply passionate about departing and they are now a small minority.

Frankly all this is a waste of time when there are more important things for them to work on. But as usual this is the Tory way of self distruct.
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UKIP support in the polls is dropping.

The whole Europe thing was always just a passing fad.

No one really cares about staying or leaving. Except those deeply passionate about departing and they are now a small minority.

Frankly all this is a waste of time when there are more important things for them to work on. But as usual this is the Tory way of self distruct.

2014 may see UKIP storming ahead again. We'll have to wait and see how many more migrants appear on our doorstep.

I wonder if the EU will push that date for Romania and Bulgaria out again though.
  • Auld SnodyAuld Snody Posts: 15,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2014 may see UKIP storming ahead again. We'll have to wait and see how many more migrants appear on our doorstep.

I wonder if the EU will push that date for Romania and Bulgaria out again though.

Lol. You must spend your whole time fretting about the EU and those nasty migrants coming here to the land of milk and honey:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Auld Snody wrote: »
    Lol. You must spend your whole time fretting about the EU and those nasty migrants coming here to the land of milk and honey:D

I think the eastern European immigrants are great, I'm of that descent myself as my father came here after WW2.

If we could send the 2 million odd of useless Brits over there in return, that would be even better.
  • ecco66ecco66 Posts: 16,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »
    Labour don't want to be known as the party that when asked, voted against giving people a decision about whether to stay in Europe.

That's all this is about.
    Absolutely, they are in a complete muddle and can't decide which way to go - or at least their leader can't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ecco66 wrote: »
    Absolutely, they are in a complete muddle and can't decide which way to go - or at least their leader can't.

They know which way to go, they are pro EU and don't want a referendum. The problem for them is that their position is out of step with a significant proportion of the electorate and could cost them votes.

This is the problem with politics, politicians are more concerned with winning votes than they are with developing long term sensible economic strategy.
  • ecco66ecco66 Posts: 16,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They know which way to go, they are pro EU and don't want a referendum. The problem for them is that their position is out of step with a significant proportion of the electorate and could cost them votes.

This is the problem with politics, politicians are more concerned with winning votes than they are with developing long term sensible economic strategy.
    No they don't. There's a reason Labour for a Referendum was launched. They are split.

I do agree that the leadership is all for the EU though.
  • rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    If they block it later it will not cause trouble for Cameron. He would like nothing more than to be able to go to the electorate and say I tried to give you a referendum, but labour and the lib dems blocked it because they don't trust you. They think you're too stupid to know what is best for yourselves.

This is arguably (party politically speaking) the better outcome for Cameron, so what are Labour thinking?
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    The Tories have no integrity, that's the point, Labour know to them EU is not a vote decider

The Tories have no integrity. :eek:

It is Labour that is lacking in that particular department - nor is it the first time they have sacrificed principle on the altar of politics - for that is what this is.

If they believe so much in the EU then where is the courage of their convictions. They can't even stand up and vote against - they have to abdicate the responsibility of making that decision and abstain.

The simple answer is Labour is as split on the EU as the Tories, just better at hiding it - but when the vote comes those splits will be open for all to see - that is what they are afraid of, and at the same time they think that this will embarrass Cameron - but it is they who will look bad.
  • allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Auld Snody wrote: »

The English are used to it, Scotties have been tasting English milk and honey for centuries.
  • ExiledchillerExiledchiller Posts: 1,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This will be another Cameron 'rubicon' moment

Ie when he says he'll give the public a referendum, no one believes him, Labour being honest and saying we don't want uncertainty but basically being against the idea shows at least you know where they stand.

If the eu means alot to people they'd vote UKIP but like people keep saying they may moan about it, but it's not a vote decider
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 386
    Forum Member
    jjne wrote: »

He knows full well that the next election is likely lost, so what better way to bugger Labour up royally, than to put in place legislation committing the country to a referendum, bind Labour to it, and run away laughing as Labour are left to pick up the pieces after a no vote.

If Cameron gets his referendum but loses the next election Labour can just repeal the bill. You can't bind a future government.
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    Ie when he says he'll give the public a referendum, no one believes him, Labour being honest and saying we don't want uncertainty but basically being against the idea shows at least you know where they stand.

On the other hand people will see Cameron trying to give people what they want and Labour blocking it.
    If the eu means alot to people they'd vote UKIP but like people keep saying they may moan about it, but it's not a vote decider

People in general do not vote on single issue(s) at a General Election - local and by-elections maybe - it is a chance to give the government a thumping and remind them they hold office at the wishes of the voters. Further for many it is not in or out, but the fact that so much power has been granted to the EU and they have not been asked if they are happy with this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not just Labour the Libs have very openly opposed leaving the EU and Nick Clegg has been very clear on that
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    mithy73 wrote: »
    The Establishment angle has been for years that we are a representative democracy and we elect MPs as our representatives to make such decisions on our behalf - and if we don't like the decisions our MP makes, we replace them with someone else.

And if I have to be honest, I have a fair amount of sympathy with that position. Many of us do not have well-informed, in-depth views about all aspects of national governance from housing to education to healthcare to foreign affairs to energy policy. We have our own day jobs, and national politics isn't normally that day job. We might have half-baked opinions about them, knee-jerk reactions, gut-instincts and visceral views, but those are not, in fact, good rational grounds for decision-making. (Sure, a few of us might be well-informed on any given subject at any given time, but the well-informed are generally in the minority.)Governance by emotion wouldn't be a good way to run a business, a charity, a school or a hospital - and it's not a good way to run a city, a county or a country either. I don't scrutinise legislation for a living - they don't build Web applications for a living - and we're quits on that.

Representative democracy has the advantage that it provides some sort of filter against some of the more extreme mood-swings of the public. What's the old adage - act in haste, repent at leisure...?

In general terms I agree with you. My problem is that the part I have emboldened sounds too much like the majority of our MPs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not just Labour the Libs have very openly opposed leaving the EU and Nick Clegg has been very clear on that

They are also polling horribly as a result. Which is why, I presume, Labour are keeping quite on the subject, so as not to affect the polls.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are also polling horribly as a result. Which is why, I presume, Labour are keeping quite on the subject, so as not to affect the polls.

No Lib's are just polling badly it's nothing to do with the fact they want us to remain in the EU
  • Auld SnodyAuld Snody Posts: 15,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    allaorta wrote: »
    The Scottish are used to it, Little englanders have been supping Scottish oil for decades

Fixed it for you;):D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No Lib's are just polling badly it's nothing to do with the fact they want us to remain in the EU

The LibDem votes are going directly to UKIP, so I say it does have something to do with the EU.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The LibDem votes are going directly to UKIP, so I say it does have something to do with the EU.

Eh?

The Lib-Dem votes haven't changed much since late 2010 when support for UKIP was a fraction of what it is now.

The Lib-Dem votes went to Labour a while back.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do we know the intention of the Lib Dems when it comes to this Referendum Bill ?

If they're going to vote against and most of the tories are going to vote for...............then it appears that Labour hold the balance of power

By abstaining they ensure that the Bill goes through without being seen to be supporting the Government

And what about amendments ?

I'm sure tory backbenchers will put forward numerous amendments to either bring forward the referendum or to try and attempt to tie Cameron's hands even tighter.............if Labour abstains on the amendments that could seriously embarrass the Government if they lose the votes..............as seems much more likely than being defeated on the actual Bill
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just read Labour's chief whip's notes on the referendum issue. Dismissing all the predictable party bollox at the start, he ends with this little gem..
    It is quite wrong to commit and legislate now for an in-out referendum, which would create four years of uncertainty, putting at risk the national interest by damaging both jobs and the economy.

So wrong, in fact, that their chosen solution is to abstain.
  • glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's always a good idea never to get involved in other people's "domestics".

This is simply a bit of Tory infighting...let 'em get on with it.