Covers better than the original

Comments

• JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He did a better version of Jealous Guy.

I'll give you that one, although it was a Roxy Music cover rather than a solo Brian Ferry one, and was superior (imo) mainly due to Roxy Music having a better sound on their cover than John Lennon's original, rather than Brian Ferry's contribution.
    Tina Turner - Let's Stay Together
    David Cassidy - How can I be Sure

Al Green's original of "Let's Stay Together" is much better than Tina's cover version (imo). I can't stand solo Tina Turner, musically I much prefer her with Ike, although I can understand why she wanted to get as far away from Ike as possible.

The original version of "How Can I Be Sure" by the Young Rascals is one of my favourite tracks of all time, and Dusty Springfield's cover is excellent too, but that David Cassidy abomination? No!, No!, No!, No!, a thousand times No!
  • TheTrader78TheTrader78 Posts: 948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hazy Shade Of Winter - The Bangles
    Sloop John B - The Beach Boys
    I Can Hear Music - The Beach Boys
    Hurt - Johnny Cash
    Always On My Mind - Elvis

Not as good as the original but I also liked No Doubt's version of It's My Life.
  • warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Pierces do a nice version of Gaga's Alejandro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnILC07zi7A
  • unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whitney Houston did I Will Always Love You better than Dolly Parton IMO

Also, I prefer the Animals' version of House Of The Rising Sun to the early versions
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scrilla wrote: »
    Just a few observations. (This thread is becoming scary).

Whitney Houston's cover of "I'm Every Woman" is not a patch on Chaka Khan.

Blondie's "The Tide Is High" is not superior to The Paragons.

Geri Halliwell can barely sing, never mind outsing The Weather Girls!

The notion that Cher of all people could surpass Jimmy Cliff's version of Many rivers To Cross is horrendous!

The Beat's Tears Of A Clown better than Smokey Robinson & The Miracles? Ha ha . No!

Soft Cell better than Gloria Jones? Not a chance!

I thought it was just me. :) I must admit, I actually thought some of the posts were jokes.
    =Electra;59150921]Communards - Don't Leave me this way

You have to be kidding. That is far and away the most hideous cover in history. It's so bad that it's actually offensive.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tina Turner - Let's Stay Together

:eek:

That is on par with The Communards as worst cover of all time. It's beyond bad, it's horrendous and it's actually an insult to Al Green that the cover was ever allowed to be made
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll give you that one, although it was a Roxy Music cover rather than a solo Brian Ferry one, and was superior (imo) mainly due to Roxy Music having a better sound on their cover than John Lennon's original, rather than Brian Ferry's contribution.

Agreed - not so much the vocals but the music.

Al Green's original of "Let's Stay Together" is much better than Tina's cover version (imo). I can't stand solo Tina Turner, musically I much prefer her with Ike, although I can understand why she wanted to get as far away from Ike as possible.

I didn't hear Al Green's version until AFTER Tina Turner's so maybe I'm biased as the one I hear first tends to sound better to me. The intro in particular is more atmospheric than Al Green's.
    The original version of "How Can I Be Sure" by the Young Rascals is one of my favourite tracks of all time, and Dusty Springfield's cover is excellent too, but that David Cassidy abomination? No!, No!, No!, No!, a thousand times No!
    Oh most definitely - love the Parisian feel to the David Cassidy version. The best song he ever recorded.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    unclekevo wrote: »
    Whitney Houston did I Will Always Love You better than Dolly Parton IMO

No way. Dolly Parton sang it with feeling - Whitney Houston just warbled her way through it like she did with most of her early recordings.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    Florence and the Machine - Take care (Drake)

Emeli Sande - Country House (Blur)

Cara Dillon - Black Is The Color
    (don't know who does the original but heard a few covers from Nina Simone to Paul Weller)

Sia - I go to sleep (The Kinks)

Fiona Apple - Please send me someone to love (Percy Mayfield)

Audra Mae - Here I Go Again (Whitesnake)

Cat Power - Sea of Love (Phil Phillips)

Kelly Clarkson - Angel
    (Sarah Mclachlan)

Just a few of my favourltes :)
  • Neighbours_FanNeighbours_Fan Posts: 7,513
    Forum Member
    I like Mariah's version of I'll Be There more than the Jackson 5's version.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    IMO, Disturbed's cover of "Land of Confusion" is far better than the original. Not to say that the original Genesis version is bad, but as an angry protest song, the heavy metal sound and rough, edgy vocals makes Disturbed's version sound more believable.
  • Hutchy_MuseHutchy_Muse Posts: 7,080
    Forum Member
    Another one is Fyfe Dangerfield- She's Always A Woman and, for the pure comic of it, Arctic Monkeys- Love Machine :D
  • Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IMO, Disturbed's cover of "Land of Confusion" is far better than the original. Not to say that the original Genesis version is bad, but as an angry protest song, the heavy metal sound and rough, edgy vocals makes Disturbed's version sound more believable.

Unfortunately, Disturbed forgot to record the best part of the original song:

I remember long ago - when the sun was shining. Yes and the stars were bright. All through the night. And the sound of your laughter. As I held you tight. So long ago ...

2:41 - 3:40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU9lv_WqK6k
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Misty - Ray Stevens
    It's my Party - Dave Stewart & Barbara Gaskin
    Only you - Flying Pickets
  • howard hhoward h Posts: 23,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Desenchantee -
    Mylene Farmer (French Canadian) vs Kate Ryan (French Belgian)?
    Never made my mind up - clearly the song BELONGS to Mylene, and she does a superb stage version, but I also love the up-tempo trancy effort by Kate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar1fWc-cqLk Ms.Farmer
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQhl001WL9I Ms. Ryan
    BTW in Ryan's video, who IS that first dancing girl???? Not that I fancy her or anything.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Despite the criticism, I like Candy Flip's cover of Strawberry Fields. And I thought George Harrison's take on He's So Fine was far better than the original. ;)

Nothing compares to you - Sinead o'connor
    Tainted Love - Soft Cell
  • MiddleotroadMiddleotroad Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing Compares 2 U - Sinead O'Connor
    Kiss - Tom Jones
    I Don't Wanna Talk About It - Everything But The Girl
    All Day and all of the Night - The Stranglers

Also the Pet Shop Boys wrote a song 'Private' for Dusty Springfield. Later they 'covered' their own song in a duet with Elton John. It sounded different and rather risque for them.
  • hello.memberhello.member Posts: 7,635
    Forum Member
    DJ Sammy - The Boys of Summer
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No way. Dolly Parton sang it with feeling - Whitney Houston just warbled her way through it like she did with most of her early recordings.

The word is caterwauled. :D And yes, Dolly sang it better.

The Pet Shop Boys song I mentioned was actually 'In Private'. Probably not many have heard their version, anyway.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nina Hagen Band - TV Glotzer
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing Compares 2 U - Sinead O'Connor
    Kiss - Tom Jones
    I Don't Wanna Talk About It - Everything But The Girl
    All Day and all of the Night - The Stranglers

Also the Pet Shop Boys wrote a song 'Private' for Dusty Springfield. Later they 'covered' their own song in a duet with Elton John. It sounded different and rather risque for them.

Is it classed as a "cover" when they wrote it? If so then Paul McCartney's version of Step Inside Love (even though it's incomplete, it's better than Cilla's!

p.s. Ididn't know The PSB had done a duet with Elton. I've just checked it out and I prefer the Dusty Springfield version. The backing music on the more recent version is grating.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The word is caterwauled. :D And yes, Dolly sang it better.
    Well I was trying to be polite but yes caterwauled is probably more accurate. :D

Can't remember the site where I read it but someone agreed with us on this and mentioned that Whitney Houston broke hearts and many windows when she sang (or should that be screeched) that song!
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kiss - Tom Jones

No. I give him points for at least doing something different to the original, but Prince's version is far superior.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A good cover is one that tries to do something original with a song and is a genuine labour of love. So the cover doesn't have to be 'better' just different.

I first heard the PSB/ Elton song in a shop. Dusty Springfield's version is very different. It was just surprising to hear a PSB song, basically a fairly straightforward love song about a man and a married man - with (as I thought) non of the usual PSB camp.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DJ Sammy - The Boys of Summer

I've NEVER heard such a statement in my life.

DJ Sammy better than Don Henley?

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: