Top Of The Pops 1976 every week on BBC Four

Comments

• AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a fantastic way to end the 1976 re-runs of TOTP, I agree with my fellow posters about missing some classics including Lean On Me by Mud, which I absolutely loved then and still do, especially the Christmas bells at the end .Pity about some other classics being wiped but beggars can`t be chosers. For those who would prefer the BBC to show different years I say ssshhh! Do we really want a dj talking over the links, and in the case of Jean Genie the final note? We should congratulate BBC4 on showing these in full. I am looking forward to 1977 even though I can not stand punk, each to their own I say.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    AZZURRI 06 wrote: »
    What a fantastic way to end the 1976 re-runs of TOTP, I agree with my fellow posters about missing some classics including Lean On Me by Mud, which I absolutely loved then and still do, especially the Christmas bells at the end .Pity about some other classics being wiped but beggars can`t be chosers. For those who would prefer the BBC to show different years I say ssshhh! Do we really want a dj talking over the links, and in the case of Jean Genie the final note? We should congratulate BBC4 on showing these in full. I am looking forward to 1977 even though I can not stand punk, each to their own I say.

It is good they are showing an episode a week, but I would also prefer if they showed the 80s episodes as well.

Starting with the first week of 1980.
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So are we all looking forward to 1977? I certainly remember more of the top 40 tunes that year than I do 1976.

I think '77 was the first year I really noticed pop music rather than it being largely something my older sisters were into.

Disco and punk. Happy days...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    So are we all looking forward to 1977? I certainly remember more of the top 40 tunes that year than I do 1976.

I think '77 was the first year I really noticed pop music rather than it being largely something my older sisters were into.

I think I share your experience as I was born in 1968... I recall around 50% of the 1976 music on the TOTP reruns... there was a ton of really ghastly music, but overall I think 1976 had some wicked music (The Liverpool Express and Joan Armatrading clips are fabulous) . I think 1977 was even better...

The punk thing being talked about, and in respect of the 1976 TOTP documentary (I just watched this and thought it was excellent)... my own experience of punk was that it was a bit flash in the pan and the post punk period was pretty much already upon us by 77/78 anyhow...

FWIW I much preferred the Stranglers to the Pistols... although I do find a lot of the punk music quite catchy in general but even that music had its own fair share of banality... with a lot of stuff sounding like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIo1FfnRpKs

Punk music for me was the prominent sound of the school disco in 1977-79.. it was as easy for that music to be in the mix with Blondie, Rush, Queen, ELO as well as even Boney M, T Connection and Abba... we didn´t really discern so much I guess...

TOTP was really a populist show for everyone reflecting the best selling singles of the age... in reflection the real quality music was shown on Old Grey Whistle Test but I was too young to watch that.. although I faintly recall the title music in the middle of the night... :D

Happy days!
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Disco is the main reason I'm happy with the 70s still. But would prefer the new romantics of the 80s.
  • mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    1977 was good. 1978 my favourite year. So many different styles.
    Rock n roll....showaddywaddy/darts
    Disco.....the brilliant donna summer/bee gees
    Pop.....Abba/boney m
    Reggae/easy listening...just about everything
    Punk?new wave
    And some of the best chart toppers ever.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    Very much looking forward to Top of the Pops from 1977 with the disco music.
  • emailsemails Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    arh at last 1977:)
  • highlander1969highlander1969 Posts: 6,832
    Forum Member
    emails wrote: »
    arh at last 1977:)

Just in case you didn't catch it there's a new thread started covering TOTP 1977. :)
  • emailsemails Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just in case you didn't catch it there's a new thread started covering TOTP 1977. :)

oh right thanks for that:)
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mesonychid wrote: »
    r i p sir jimmy saville,top of the pops legend .
    WaveCrest wrote: »
    Took me by surprise the news about Sir Jimmy Saville. RIP

Looking at the Top of the Pops presenters list for the shows still in the archives, the next edition with him presenting is 25th November, 1976.
    RIP Jimmy! :cry:
    Since the repeats started we've already three people from the era that has so far been aired, Flick Colby, producer Robin Nash and now Sir Jimmy. :(
    i pickt up this news at 6pm GOD i was shocked:eek: sir jimmy you made some great shows TOP OF THE POPS ,JIM'LL FIX IT & other kids shows mind how you go & play it safe you'll be cery sadly missed RIP SIR JIMMY:cry::cry:
    I was shocked when i saw on BBC News that Sir Jimmy Saville had died :( Jimmy was one of my fave presenters and i used to regularly listen to his 'Old Record Club' show on a sunday afternoon which i loved.

R.I.P. Jimmy :(
    whats the chances of the BBC now putting on extra eps of totps for tributes to JS
    RIP Sir Jimmy Savile, you will be much missed. I liked your quirky presenting style. The 1976 episodes of Top of the Pops with Jimmy Savile as presenter seem, I can't quite explain it, just sort of different from the other presenters' episodes. And I remember Jim'll Fix It quite well. It wasn't on for much longer after I started watching but I remember it being a great programme, and it was replaced by something vaguely similar with Gaby Roslin (the title of which escapes me) - it was rubbish.
    Caught up with this week's show on iPlayer. We're heading towards that great disco boom now with one of the bona fide disco anthems of the 70s (Play That Funky Music).

Interesting to see Simon May performing. Showcased his typically insipid style of songwriting which spilled over into the dreary Eastenders theme and godawful horror show of a song Every Loser Wins. I have to grudgingly admit that I rather like I Was Born With a Smile On My Face, though.

And RIP Sir Jim'll. One of Britain's true modern eccentrics. While pop DJs are often a forgettable lot (I'm talking about you Simon Mayo) Jimmy Saville was most definitely one of a kind and completely unmistakeable (and much imitated by impressionists and schoolchildren all over the country). OoOoOoOoOoOo, yes indeed.
    merrim01 wrote: »
    Jimmy Saville was a legend and it's sad to see another ex presenter of TOTP and Radio 1 DJ pass away. It's really ironic that since these repeats have started we've had 3 people heavily associated with the show now die. I'm hoping that the BBC will bring back TOTP at some point. Jimmy Saville was there from the beginning and on the very last show in 2006 and he was amusing on that last show. A shame that there are not so many 60s shows in the archive with Jimmy in his younger days.

With a few mentions on the TOTP 1979 thread about Jimmy Savile, and all the comments which sound rather like being wise after the event about him, I thought I'd take a look back at the comments about him from the week he passed, and a whole year before the scandals broke, from a time when I myself was watching the show but was a lurker a few months before joining in. Makes an interesting little look back to what people genuinely thought of the man.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Top Of The Pops - The Story Of 1976 is now showing on the Yesterday channel, seems they have bagged quite a few of the old BBC4 shows.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Top Of The Pops - The Story Of 1976 is now showing on the Yesterday channel, seems they have bagged quite a few of the old BBC4 shows.

As BBC4 moves into the 80s, it would be great if Yesterday played some 70s editions on a regular basis
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    As BBC4 moves into the 80s, it would be great if Yesterday played some 70s editions on a regular basis
    With that post of mine re-igniting this thread, we now have 4 of the TOTP threads for 1976, 1978, 1979 and soon to be 1980 on the go at once with recent postings! We just need 1977 to have the full set on the go at once. It could get confusing. :D

I love the contradiction of your name 80'sfan, and your wish to also be able to revisit the 70's TOTP episodes if and when they get re-shown on Yesterday alongside BBC4's new 1980 to come next week. :p
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »

I love the contradiction of your name 80'sfan, and your wish to also be able to revisit the 70's TOTP episodes if and when they get re-shown on Yesterday alongside BBC4's new 1980 to come next week. :p

Ha ha! Perhaps I should rename myself 7778midtolate80sfan :D

I really enjoyed the shows from 1977 and 1978 and wish I'd saved more of them in fact.
  • darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although i have most of the BBC four rerun shows recorded ,it would still be fun for yesterday to repeat some episodes :)
  • IngohoffIngohoff Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Glengavel wrote: »
    I've never heard this Bobby Goldsboro song (for which much thanks, apparently), but I have unfortunately heard 'Honey'. It's hard to believe the same guy wrote "Summer (The First Time)".

Have just heard 'Honey' for first time in years, on Radio 2 POTP. Truly appalling.
  • AndrewSmithAndrewSmith Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paul M C wrote: »
    Markjuk wrote: »
    It was a policy that the BBC very much regrets nowadays, although common sense should have dictacted at the time to keep it after spending a small fortune producing it.

Bit like saying for example you film a relatives wedding, show it once to them them wipe the material, why would you do it?

BTW the first repeated edition is tonight! with the 1/4/1976 edition with Tony Blackburn.

We will even see Noel Edmonds hosted editions over the next few weeks.

Paul MC (our resident TOTP guru :D) - do you know how long this repeat season is on for, and will it only cover 1976? All those of us hoping for 1980's repeats could be disappointed.

Hi there

I was a guest on BBC Wales yesterday for which I had to chat about the BBC4 repeat season, so I did some digging around with some of the people I know at the Beeb to try and glean some more info so I could comment on things if asked by the presenters...

The info I got back, via a statement said that they were "committed" re-showing every surviving 1976 edition of TOTP and the repeat season should last at least "a year" - obviously starting at April tonight and given the fact that there are still some gaps within the archives for 76, we would be well into 1977 repeats but this time next year...

Apparently, the repeat season will be "regulary" reviewed (especially as we reach the end of 76) to see how well the shows are being received and what score the audience appreciation index has measured. I am advised that the very long term future depends on viewing figures, so I would say hopefully one year at least - but - I've a sneaky feeling that viewing figures may after a while drop off somewhat (but I hope not) .... I must say, it's quite rare for a channel to commit themselves for such a long repeat run.....

Because they are showing the shows chronologically in the same week order as now, I did ask what happens when we reach the archive gaps (first of which in this run won't be until 01 July - for which 01 July 76 is missing), then we've got one missing in August, a couple from September, 2 from November and 2 from December) but no one knew whether the repeats would take a break for these weeks or just carry on slightly out of sync. My guess might be they'll take a break as it's only odd weeks here and there....

I was also advised (as already suspected) that they've started on 1976 because of course, this is the first year that they hold a decent archive for (3/4 of the year exists approximately), then of course it gets better for 77, with a complete archive from Sept 1977 onwards...)

So, time will tell....and if we want the repeats to continue, we've all got to keep on watching!;)

What programme and was it a segment?
  • AndrewSmithAndrewSmith Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was a policy that the BBC very much regrets nowadays, although common sense should have dictacted at the time to keep it after spending a small fortune producing it.

Bit like saying for example you film a relatives wedding, show it once to them them wipe the material, why would you do it?

BTW the first repeated edition is tonight! with the 1/4/1976 edition with Tony Blackburn.

Paul MC (our resident TOTP guru :D) - do you know how long this repeat season is on for, and will it only cover 1976? All those of us hoping for 1980's repeats could be disappointed.

Hi there

I was a guest on BBC Wales yesterday for which I had to chat about the BBC4 repeat season, so I did some digging around with some of the people I know at the Beeb to try and glean some more info so I could comment on things if asked by the presenters...

The info I got back, via a statement said that they were "committed" re-showing every surviving 1976 edition of TOTP and the repeat season should last at least "a year" - obviously starting at April tonight and given the fact that there are still some gaps within the archives for 76, we would be well into 1977 repeats but this time next year...

Apparently, the repeat season will be "regulary" reviewed (especially as we reach the end of 76) to see how well the shows are being received and what score the audience appreciation index has measured. I am advised that the very long term future depends on viewing figures, so I would say hopefully one year at least - but - I've a sneaky feeling that viewing figures may after a while drop off somewhat (but I hope not) .... I must say, it's quite rare for a channel to commit themselves for such a long repeat run.....

Because they are showing the shows chronologically in the same week order as now, I did ask what happens when we reach the archive gaps (first of which in this run won't be until 01 July - for which 01 July 76 is missing), then we've got one missing in August, a couple from September, 2 from November and 2 from December) but no one knew whether the repeats would take a break for these weeks or just carry on slightly out of sync. My guess might be they'll take a break as it's only odd weeks here and there....

I was also advised (as already suspected) that they've started on 1976 because of course, this is the first year that they hold a decent archive for (3/4 of the year exists approximately), then of course it gets better for 77, with a complete archive from Sept 1977 onwards...)

So, time will tell....and if we want the repeats to continue, we've all got to keep on watching!;)

So, was it BBC Wales Today on the 31st March?

Unfortunately, the BBC iPlayer won't go back that far for BBC Wales Today.

Do you have a copy to upload?

• JustinThePubJustinThePub Posts: 3,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 10/04/20 - 08:43 #2996

Hi there

It was 9 years ago! I don’t think iPlayer will ever go back that far.

• Robert WilliamsRobert Williams Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 10/04/20 - 09:31 #2997

Hi there

It was 9 years ago! I don’t think iPlayer will ever go back that far.

Is it possible the original poster was talking about BBC Radio Wales? Not that it helps finding out, of course.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously some shows from this era can't be shown due to the Savile and DLT connection, but I'd much rather see music from 1976 than the current 1989 repeats. Apart from the first stirrings of punk, which wouldn't be felt until 1977, you had such a big variety of music in 1976, from country to heavy rock.
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's the point in digging up an old thread, Andrew?
  • JedikiahJedikiah Posts: 5,396
    Forum Member
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Obviously some shows from this era can't be shown due to the Savile and DLT connection, but I'd much rather see music from 1976 than the current 1989 repeats. Apart from the first stirrings of punk, which wouldn't be felt until 1977, you had such a big variety of music in 1976, from country to heavy rock.

Yes, definitely better than 1989.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jedikiah wrote: »
    Glenn A wrote: »

Yes, definitely better than 1989.

1989 would probably be one of the worst years for music ever, manufactured pop and dance rubbish everywhere. I head Radio 2 on this morning and that Coldcut and Lisa Stansfield song People Hold On was being played and if it wasn't much cop then, it's completely dated now, However, it did help Lisa Stansfield on her way to being one of the biggest soul singers of the early nineties.