2»

Comments

• Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Joanna is presenting tomorrow according to the BBC web site

Turns out it's Jane Hill today.

Another one who I'm sure will be better than the official presenter.
  • SpaceToiletsSpaceToilets Posts: 3,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the stand ins are better than Victoria Direbeshire.

Yep, that's how I feel about her and the show.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm actually surprised they continue the show with stand-ins when Derbyshire is on holiday, why not just revert to the successful rolling news format which guarantees them more viewers ? I suppose that would be an admission of defeat.
  • Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any recent ratings for Derbyshire ? The last one I saw was 39,000 on BBC2.

Is that a typo, is there a 0 missing? Thirty Nine, not 390,000 thousand? The ratings can't be that low surely? :o
  • shaddlershaddler Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Derbyshire seems to take an awful lot of time off,surely the slot should not have her name on it.

She did the same thing on her radio show. Out of all the Five Live presenters she was the most frequently absent.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Torch81 wrote: »
    Is that a typo, is there a 0 missing? Thirty Nine, not 390,000 thousand? The ratings can't be that low surely? :o

That was the last figure given on DS - thirty-nine thousand, no typo. Probably two or three watching on the BBC News channel as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It normally hovers between 80,000 and 100,000 on BBC2. Best figure on a day a figure was given 119,000 (but might be some better, but unreported on DS)

News Channel unknown, but I reckon, at best, another 40, 000 (and probably less)
  • St. AnthonySt. Anthony Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jane Hill is my fave, very attractive.
  • curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't find the original Victoria Derbyshire programme thread, so I thought I'd comment here. I checked out her programme yesterday to see if she'd cheered up now she's had her op.

No such luck ! Yesterday domestic abuse, today, lack of mental health facilities. Doom & Gloom ! Unless I wanted to deliberated become depressed I certainly wouldn't watch her programme, it's dire !
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've tuned into this a few times over the last few weeks. I didn't know who Victoria Derbyshire is, so was confused why the presenters had different names.
    I though it might be somebody who's ill and they got a stand-in, but it was every time I flicked the channel onto this there was a presenter on it who wasn't called Victoria Derbyshire, so I even started to question the meaning of the title. I even wondered if it was a famous writer or something like that, and that the show had been named in honour of them.

I've stumbled onto this channel about six times while channel surfing over the last few weeks, and not once has there been a presenter on it called Victoria Derbyshire.
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've tuned into this a few times over the last few weeks. I didn't know who Victoria Derbyshire is, so was confused why the presenters had different names.
    I though it might be somebody who's ill and they got a stand-in, but it was every time I flicked the channel onto this there was a presenter on it who wasn't called Victoria Derbyshire, so I even started to question the meaning of the title. I even wondered if it was a famous writer or something like that, and that the show had been named in honour of them.

I've stumbled onto this channel about six times while channel surfing over the last few weeks, and not once has there been a presenter on it called Victoria Derbyshire.

Victoria Detbyshire is currently going through Breast Cancer, she had a mastectomy, hense why her absence, shr allowed her show to follow her treatment throughout.

she is going to present her show as much as possibly during upcoming Chemo and Radio
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    curmy wrote: »
    I can't find the original Victoria Derbyshire programme thread, so I thought I'd comment here. I checked out her programme yesterday to see if she'd cheered up now she's had her op.

No such luck ! Yesterday domestic abuse, today, lack of mental health facilities. Doom & Gloom ! Unless I wanted to deliberated become depressed I certainly wouldn't watch her programme, it's dire !

Victoria still has cancer, she isnt likely, to be jumping sround her set doing handstands
  • Ess_BeeEss_Bee Posts: 7,716
    Forum Member
    Victoria still has cancer, she isnt likely, to be jumping sround her set doing handstands

Theoretically, the cancer is gone as soon as you've had the surgery. The chemo and radio are 'mopping up' procedures to get rid of any rogue cells that might have escaped the knife. And the chemo makes you feel far worse than the actual breast cancer, which ironically, is not generally painful or nausea-inducing!
  • SepangBlueSepangBlue Posts: 4,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not a fan of the conceit of having a TV programme named after you. SKY has/had a daily programme called Murnaghan, fronted by Dermot Murnaghan.

Why can't the stations have simple descriptive titles for their shows and leave people's names out of it?

Although I'm not a fan of Victoria Derbyshire (can't quite get used to her rather low voice), I do wish her well in her recovery from recent breast cancer surgery.
  • rmc57rmc57 Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    curmy wrote: »

This forum hits a new low. A presenter has just gone through the hell of breast cancer and you're moaning about her show being too serious.

You really need to take a look at yourself and your values.

A sickening post, duly reported.
  • A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rmc57 wrote: »
    This forum hits a new low. A presenter has just gone through the hell of breast cancer and you're moaning about her show being too serious.

Not just one post, but there are a few posters here having a go at her, they are taunting why she is absent, and she had breast cancer.

Yes many have posted and hit a new low.

There are no further words for some of those posts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A.D.P wrote: »
    Not just one post, but there are a few posters here having a go at her, they are taunting why she is absent, and she had breast cancer.

Yes many have posted and hit a new low.

There are no further words for some of those posts.

The vast majority of posts were before people knew she was ill.
  • daisy_johnsdaisy_johns Posts: 845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ess_Bee wrote: »
    Theoretically, the cancer is gone as soon as you've had the surgery. The chemo and radio are 'mopping up' procedures to get rid of any rogue cells that might have escaped the knife. And the chemo makes you feel far worse than the actual breast cancer, which ironically, is not generally painful or nausea-inducing!

No that isn't quite correct as in some cases clear margins are not met with the first op and often a seckond op has to take place to achieve this.

I hope she's doing ok, never seen her present a programme but from experience I know what she's going through and it's not nice
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watch BBC Breakfast most mornings. They do a cut to the Victoria Derbyshire show telling us what's coming up - and it's usually without this elusive woman. I'm not actually sure what she looks like!! How on Earth did she manage to get a show named after her when she's never there?!?!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well my post is still there, it wasn't a personal attack on VD, it was a criticism of the choice of subjects she & her editor make for her programme.

Why shouldn't she be somewhat relieved that she's successfully come through major surgery ? & as she's just had a major cancer operation, are you inferring all the items on her show should be down beat ?

I also had no idea she was ill when she was missing from her programme earlier in it's run, she didn't tell anyone until very recently.

I wish her all the best & hope that she comes through any further treatment with the minimum of side effects.
  • SepangBlueSepangBlue Posts: 4,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So you're the Digital Spy police now, eh? Get over yourself!

We all know the point that curmy was making, so don't be so confrontational for goodness sake!

VD posted her personal video diary on the programme while she was still in hospital before and after undergoing treatment for breast cancer .. I think that was very brave of her. Now that she's back in the saddle the programme can resume its daily round of matters of current interest and anything else topical that the producers feel may be of note and interest to the audience. The fact that the day curmy watched it was carrying rather doom-laden stories is just an unfortunate coincidence!
  • SambdaSambda Posts: 6,203
    Forum Member
    The BBC would have to be very, very careful about cancelling the show while she's not there, and off ill. That sounds ripe for the Disability Discrimination Act.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SepangBlue wrote: »
    So you're the Digital Spy police now, eh? Get over yourself!

We all know the point that curmy was making, so don't be so confrontational for goodness sake!

VD posted her personal video diary on the programme while she was still in hospital before and after undergoing treatment for breast cancer .. I think that was very brave of her. Now that she's back in the saddle the programme can resume its daily round of matters of current interest and anything else topical that the producers feel may be of note and interest to the audience. The fact that the day curmy watched it was carrying rather doom-laden stories is just an unfortunate coincidence!

Thank you SepangBlue, you've made my point so much better than I did :)
  • shaddlershaddler Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ridiculous post. Her shows on Five Live and now BBC 2/BBC News have always focused on depressing subjects/life stories and criticism of that has nothing to do with her illness, and neither should people refrain from criticising the show just because she is ill.
  • SambdaSambda Posts: 6,203
    Forum Member
    shaddler wrote: »
    Ridiculous post. Her shows on Five Live and now BBC 2/BBC News have always focused on depressing subjects/life stories and criticism of that has nothing to do with her illness, and neither should people refrain from criticising the show just because she is ill.

Especially as Naga is a better presenter in any case.