Doc Martin (Part 17 — Spoilers)

Comments

• BloodphobiaBloodphobia Posts: 448
    Forum Member
    My perception of soap operas is that you only get bits of pieces of a number of storylines that span multiple episodes, with lots of overlap and long-term story arcs, and without a clear protagonist. I really don't see that with DM. In fact, besides the main storyline of M&L's will they/won't they, there is very little overlap of storylines from one episode to the other. For such a small village, there sure are a lot of people we only see once, and who disappear after their medical malady is resolved!

What I do see in DM (in the later seasons) is melodrama - the huge emotional rises and falls, the last-minute declarations of regret and of love, the increasingly ridiculous and harrowing situations requiring ever greater emotional responses (ie kidnapping, car-crashes, etc.) All we need now is an evil twin brother, or someone in a coma with amnesia, or even better, someone who was presumed dead to show up in Portwenn! *cough* *cough* *Christopher*

I can take a bit of melodrama. Some of my favourite scenes are those with the great emotional declarations of love (or as close to it as DM can get...). But I'm not sure how much more BP can get away with, despite my optimistic hopes for S7.

I fully expect to see Christopher Ellingham return and not as a ghost
  • earlgrey152earlgrey152 Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    I fully expect to see Christopher Ellingham return and not as a ghost

Have there been any sightings of dear old Dad Ellingham during S7 filming? Or any of the other parents?
  • MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Better if they went to Edith Momtgomery's fertility clinic and had IVF. That would show more commitment and deliberation than another randomn pregnancy plot device

Blood, I don't get the point of the comment. Why couldn't they be grown ups and PLAN another pregnancy? They don't have to have it as a random plot device. And of course they'd have to get back together first....but it really doesn't matter.
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My perception of soap operas is that you only get bits of pieces of a number of storylines that span multiple episodes, with lots of overlap and long-term story arcs, and without a clear protagonist. I really don't see that with DM. In fact, besides the main storyline of M&L's will they/won't they, there is very little overlap of storylines from one episode to the other. For such a small village, there sure are a lot of people we only see once, and who disappear after their medical malady is resolved!

What I do see in DM (in the later seasons) is melodrama - the huge emotional rises and falls, the last-minute declarations of regret and of love, the increasingly ridiculous and harrowing situations requiring ever greater emotional responses (ie kidnapping, car-crashes, etc.) All we need now is an evil twin brother, or someone in a coma with amnesia, or even better, someone who was presumed dead to show up in Portwenn! *cough* *cough* *Christopher*

I can take a bit of melodrama. Some of my favourite scenes are those with the great emotional declarations of love (or as close to it as DM can get...). But I'm not sure how much more BP can get away with, despite my optimistic hopes for S7.

Earlgrey your definition IS the way things have gone on DM in many ways. The DM/LG/E relationship has been totally "soap opera". We have long storylines of both Al and Bert not finding their place in life, or a love in life, moving forward, moving backwards. We have long storylines of Mrs. T, her dissolving into insanity (pretty much), of DM's secretaries and their lives.

Pretty soap opera-ish, I think.
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have there been any sightings of dear old Dad Ellingham during S7 filming? Or any of the other parents?

No. Nary hide nor hair.
    Forum Member

An appearance by Margaret and/or Christopher could be done as an interior scene shot at the barn

My "theory" is that Margaret needed money and used Christopher's alleged death as a plot device to contact Martin. After their last encounter, even she realized Martin did not want to see her. Margaret tried to appeal to Martin's sense of duty to his old mum in asking for money. When he gave her nothing, she nicked his clock

I think Christopher and Margaret are in cahoots and Christopher will return with the clock and try to extort money from Martin . The clock has more sentimental than monetary value for Martin and he may buy it back from his father just as he bought back the farm for Joan

Even if there is no further sighting or mention of Christopher, I think Margaret faked his death
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well folks, we've all put my excitement and enthusiasm for Series 7 in the crapper. I hope that will change when I'm at Buckham Fair next week. Rumor has it that Martin is quite dreamy in real life. Maybe I can get that "spark" back? Otherwise it's "dull, dull, dreadfully dull and boring and awful......"according to our group. My fingers are crossed for otherwise.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mofromco wrote: »
    Well folks, we've all put my excitement and enthusiasm for Series 7 in the crapper. I hope that will change when I'm at Buckham Fair next week. Rumor has it that Martin is quite dreamy in real life. Maybe I can get that "spark" back? Otherwise it's "dull, dull, dreadfully dull and boring and awful......"according to our group. My fingers are crossed for otherwise.

No, no, no. I'm betting it won't be darker than S4 and with less antagonism between them. Poignant, yes. And frustrating. But it will be all right in the end! BP are not in the business of tragedy.

Have a wonderful time at Buckham Fair. I know it'll be great.
  • ZarwenZarwen Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    Apologies if someone posted this information earlier, but I am excited that PBS will start airing "Arthur and George" back-to-back with "Sherlock" S3 on September 6! :D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zarwen wrote: »
    Apologies if someone posted this information earlier, but I am excited that PBS will start airing "Arthur and George" back-to-back with "Sherlock" S3 on September 6! :D:D:D

I've also lost my allure with Cumberbatch's Sherlock Holmes, after the last season. I have found the Holmes plots to be near indecipherable, and on top of that the dialogue spoken way too quickly. I did not like Holmes telling everyone BUT Watson he was alive. I didn't like Holmes murdering the villain at the end of last season. And, after only 9 episodes, they already have to rehash Moriarity.

SO, I'm delighted that after I give that show's season one last go, I get my reward with "Arthur and George", which I found delightful in every single way.
    Forum Member
    MMD. Cumberbatch is clean cut hot, Arsher Ali is smouldering hot. He was great as George
    Edalji
  • dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV's trailer for season 7.

Password is Martin.

https://vimeo.com/136265392
    Forum Member
    Martin is going to say "no" to all help? The scene of Louisa hugging Martin and tapping her fingers in exasperation is her response? Makes for anither tantalizing season! .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MMD. Cumberbatch is clean cut hot, Arsher Ali is smouldering hot. He was great as George
    Edalji

Hey, BP, Cumberbatch does not do it for me. And I was more attracted to MC as Doyle, than Arsher Ali as George. :) Different strokes for different folks!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Martin is going to say "no" to all help? The scene of Louisa hugging Martin and tapping her fingers in exasperation is her response? Makes for anither tantalizing season! .

I have a completely different take on that scene. I think her eyes are teared up and he looks devastated.
    This could be where she tells him that she's thought things over, she's very sorry, she wanted things to be different, but she can't see how they can go on together

A true Rorschach test. I see what I see probably b/c that's what I expect will happen in the 1st or 2nd episode, probably the 2nd.
    Or as I say that, I wonder if it's possibly very early in S1, where she tells him that she still thinks she needs to leave, after he's pleaded with her to stay. But I think we won't see Louisa until she returns from Spain, or wherever.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's not tapping her fingers in exasperation. How can you even interpret it that way? She's just grabbing her own arm in the hug and moving her fingers...like living creatures tend to do...they move! This degree of negativity is bordering on the mentally pathological. Jeez.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    Hey, BP, Cumberbatch does not do it for me. And I was more attracted to MC as Doyle, than Arsher Ali as George. :) Different strokes for different folks!

Can't say I've given Cumberbatch a chance. I chalk that up to other people having their weird tastes and preferences, just as I have my own peculiar proclivity toward Martin Clunes...which is atypical in itself. He just looks like some kind of insect and is much too young for me. Arsher Ali....zero sex appeal...less than zero...I thought his acting in Arthur and George was a weak link, despite the actor himself wanting to be "Spock -like". As Mona said, "To each, his own..."
    Forum Member
    NewPark wrote: »
    I have a completely different take on that scene. I think her eyes are teared up and he looks devastated.
    This could be where she tells him that she's thought things over, she's very sorry, she wanted things to be different, but she can't see how they can go on together

A true Rorschach test. I see what I see probably b/c that's what I expect will happen in the 1st or 2nd episode, probably the 2nd.
    Or as I say that, I wonder if it's possibly very early in S1, where she tells him that she still thinks she needs to leave, after he's pleaded with her to stay. But I think we won't see Louisa until she returns from Spain, or wherever.

NP. That is the first scene you are referring to, and i completely agree with you. The scene I am referring to is toward the end when one sees Louisa's face only and she is tapping/fluttering her fingers
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NP. That is the first scene you are referring to, and i completely agree with you. The scene I am referring to is toward the end when one sees Louisa's face only and she is tapping/fluttering her fingers

What is going on in the "first scene" you speak of? I saw Louisa in a couple of flashes standing up but the only scene of her face is when she's embracing him. Maybe I'm missing something? It's impossible to tell what's going on in the last scene...they know how to set up a "teaser", don't they?
  • Ms_SarahMs_Sarah Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    I watched it - I watched it....twirling around the room :)

Just in case...spoilers might be discussed.

1. Looks like he's playing hardball. Bring it on, baby. (don't mess with my sista, Louisa)

2. Looks like a video on YT where Louisa says "No" in every scene (musical montage). CopyCats.

3. Buddy is Back :p

4. Martin is being consoled? He is despondent or he's morphed into a child or a cute muppet ?

5. Louisa is on a really long ride and he's going to push every fricking button he can...

Mofromco...I am of sound mind. Just havin' a bit of fun ;-) (Thanks, dcdmfan)!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ms_Sarah wrote: »
    I watched it - I watched it....twirling around the room :)

Just in case...spoilers might be discussed.

1. Looks like he's playing hardball. Bring it on, baby. (don't mess with my sista, Louisa)

2. Looks like a video on YT where Louisa says "No" in every scene (musical montage). CopyCats.

3. Buddy is Back :p

4. Martin is being consoled? He is despondent or he's morphed into a child or a cute muppet ?

5. Louisa is on a really long ride and he's going to push every fricking button he can...

Mofromco...I am of sound mind. Just havin' a bit of fun ;-) (Thanks, dcdmfan)!

No chance I'll mess with your fun....I truly don't understand what you're saying...but you carry on.
  • Ms_SarahMs_Sarah Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    Mofromco:
    No chance I'll mess with your fun....I truly don't understand what you're saying...but you carry on.

LOL-watched it again. Al, Penhale, and Doc all in good form and looks like a fun season ahead ;-)
    Fingers crossed.
    Forum Member

MMD. Martin Clunes went without saying! ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

BP, for me this trailer is SO hopeful. It's light, airy, full of comedy, full of interactions with others. Even though DM is saying "no", he says it with a different face each time and one time he seems embarrassed by it. His interaction with Morwenna and AR at the same time is enjoyable. All in all, as one of the ones most dreading the new season, this trailer has revitalized my interest a great deal and it made me smile! Hope has returned for this fan! :D
    Forum Member
    BP, for me this trailer is SO hopeful. It's light, airy, full of comedy, full of interactions with others. Even though DM is saying "no", he says it with a different face each time and one time he seems embarrassed by it. His interaction with Morwenna and AR at the same time is enjoyable. All in all, as one of the ones most dreading the new season, this trailer has revitalized my interest a great deal and it made me smile! Hope has returned for this fan! :D

Totally agree. Upbeat music and there is a little sizzle in the Doc. As I said it is very tantalizing and I think the magic may be back.
This discussion has been closed.