Options

Corbyn set to win Labour Leadership race

Comments

• Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Veri wrote: »
    They are weeding people out because they hadn't realised when they made the ridiculous decision to open the vote to anyone who paid £3 that the opening would be exploited by entryists and wreckers. Basically, they were fools.

Fair comment.:D
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm showing how polls are manipulated to show a certain bias on behalf of the commissioner. They either manipulate the sample base as in the case of today's ComRes result, or load the questions in the way the Survation poll has done. Which brings us back to the original issue that today's ComRes poll is hogwash.

I challenge you to find me a poll that directly conflicts with the agenda of the person who commissioned it.

OK. How about every single political poll commissioned by the Telegraph, Times, Mail, Sun and Express between the start of 2011 and the end of 2014?

Yup. Let's start with those before we tackle the issue of your knowledge about representative sampling and weighting..
  • Options
    FruityLoopyFruityLoopy Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JayyK wrote: »
    They did openly encourage him, until they underestimated his popularity. That appears to have been what caused the senior Tories to change their minds. I'll find the link for you all. The guy claims the Tories were all for Corbyn winning until the night of the 3.5 thousand rally, then something changed their mood.

Several sources in the media have likened Corbyn's rise in popularity to that of Strugeon, so its of no surprise Tories have now started to think twice. Joey Jones said he hadn't seen support for any politician this high for 'many years' and claimed he was blown away by the support for Corbyn while following his campaign all last week.

I suggest that's the main reason both The Telegraph and The Daily Mail are now telling their readers not to vote him. They too saw it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rafer wrote: »
    They did. But only in the interests of "broadening the field" and "having a debate" Not because all of his supporters actually wanted him as leader. He was meant to be this years Diane Abbot. There to keep the left happy and go out in the first round. Not to win in the first round.

It's just heartbreaking when a great plan goes belly up.:D
  • Options
    RaferRafer Posts: 14,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They did openly encourage him, until they underestimated his popularity. That appears to have been what caused the senior Tories to change their minds. I'll find the link for you all. The guy claims the Tories were all for Corbyn winning until the night of the 3.5 thousand rally, then something changed their mood.

That would be interesting to find. I'm not doubting you. I just find it odd that this is something that should get leaked. (and by extension be true) It's got planned leak written all over it. It looks more like a psychological attempt to shift support to Corbyn. But I may be wrong.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    It's just heartbreaking when a great plan goes belly up.:D

If only they had chiselled the rules in stone. but, there's never an eight foot lump of limestone around when you need one.
  • Options
    Jayceef1Jayceef1 Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm showing how polls are manipulated to show a certain bias on behalf of the commissioner. They either manipulate the sample base as in the case of today's ComRes result, or load the questions in the way the Survation poll has done. Which brings us back to the original issue that today's ComRes poll is hogwash.

I challenge you to find me a poll that directly conflicts with the agenda of the person who commissioned it.

I would say pretty much every poll commissioned by the Sun, Mail, Telegraph over tha last couple of years that were showing labour doing well.
  • Options
    paul2307paul2307 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    That would be interesting to find. I'm not doubting you. I just find it odd that this is something that should get leaked. (and by extension be true) It's got planned leak written all over it. It looks more like a psychological attempt to shift support to Corbyn. But I may be wrong.

Cameron can't come straight out and say who he wants as opposition leader but he can play tricks to get who he wants and if anything the Conservatives have played the election far better than Labour have
  • Options
    Jayceef1Jayceef1 Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If only they had chiselled the rules in stone. but, there's never an eight foot lump of limestone around when you need one.

:D:D:D:D Though Prescott might still be available.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ed Miliband probably knows where to lay his hands on one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paul2307 wrote: »
    Cameron can't come straight out and say who he wants as opposition leader but he can play tricks to get who he wants and if anything the Conservatives have played the election far better than Labour have

Are you joking? Corbyn is packing out rallies night after night to thousands of people. Burnham on the other can't get more than a couple of hundred to attend his.

There is a reason the media went from backing Corbyn to changing their tune and its because they didn't see his popularity growing, as someone just said, he is a maverick. That makes him dangerous as all the floating voters are usually more drawn to the new exciting person. Hence why so many thousands are turning up each day to hear him speak.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Ed Miliband probably knows where to lay his hands on one.

I think he used it as a work surface in his second kitchen :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Are you joking? Corbyn is packing out rallies night after night to thousands of people. Burnham on the other can't get more than a couple of hundred to attend his.

There is a reason the media went from backing Corbyn to changing their tune and its because they didn't see his popularity growing, as someone just said, he is a maverick. That makes him dangerous as all the floating voters are usually more drawn to the new exciting person.

Kinnock packed out a rally in Sheffield of 10,000 acolytes proclaiming victory just before his massive defeat in 1992 , whats your point ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree. They've done really well out of it. They've sat back and done very little. As a certain Frenchman once said two centuries ago: "never interrupt your opponent while they are making a mistake". All they need to do is stay away while the labour party resembles a bag full of angry ferrets. Make the occasional nudge towards Corbyn. But generally be seen to be the party of calm organisation while labour present themselves as the party of chaos. While parliament is in recess the focus becomes almost entirely on Labour.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kinnock packed out a rally in Sheffield of 10,000 acolytes proclaiming victory just before his massive defeat in 1992 , whats your point ?

That was over 20 years ago and all those people were Labour faithful. As the media have been reporting, many of those attending Corbyn's rallies aren't even registered to vote. That's an entire new audience and its why the Right Wing media suddenly got scared.

If the Tories truly wanted Labour to be out of power they should have gone for Burnham who is just the pretty boy version of Miliband. There is nothing exciting or new about him.. Corbyn on the otherhand is a maverick that has struck a cord with people who haven't been interested in politics for a long time.

As Adam Boulton said ' we are in new ground now '.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

:D:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That was over 20 years ago and all those people were Labour faithful. As the media have been reporting, many of those attending Corbyn's rallies aren't even registered to vote. That's an entire new audience and its why the Right Wing media suddenly got scared.

If the Tories truly wanted Labour to be out of power they should have gone for Burnham who is just the pretty boy version of Miliband. There is nothing exciting or new about him.. Corbyn on the otherhand is a maverick that has struck a cord with people who haven't been interested in politics for a long time.

No we are on old ground some of us have seen it all before and know what will happen and it won't be what Corbyn and his followers are expecting
  • Options
    JayyKJayyK Posts: 423
    Forum Member

I do think Tory arrogance might just be about to blow up in their face.

All these people who follow politics for their job can't be wrong about what they are seeing from people when out with Corbyn.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No we are on ground some of us have seen it all before and know what will happen and it won't be what Corbyn and his followers are expecting

I disagree. You are in for a huge shock. Once Pandoras box is open there will be no stopping Corbyn.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

All these people who follow politics for their job can't be wrong about what they are seeing from people when out with Corbyn.

When Kay Burley even admits she underestimated Corbyn you know there is an issue! lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I disagree. You are in for a huge shock. Once Pandoras box is open there will be no stopping Corbyn.

Interesting use of that phrase. The former Cameron adviser also suggested Labour's fear was extremists trying to rejoin and support the party should Corbyn win. He suggested it would be done in a way which people didn't know about until after Corbyn potentially became PM.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    This has been the most memorable summer recess that I can remember and there's more excitement to come.
  • Options
    Forum Member

All these people who follow politics for their job can't be wrong about what they are seeing from people when out with Corbyn
    I should have added

Apparently people who spend all day on DS know better than reporters following Corbyn's campaign trail..... :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You could say the same about Farage. UKIP's base is those who were disillusioned with politics. Farage himself is a maverick character. But when the chips were down. The support just wasn't there in sufficient numbers to break through. (although they did well nationally, close second in 80 or so seats.) I'm not saying Corbyn can't win an election. But I'm sceptical about much of the popular support he enjoys today, will translate into votes in may 2020.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting use of that phrase. The former Cameron adviser also suggested Labour's fear was extremists trying to rejoin and support the party should Corbyn win. He suggested it would be done in a way which people didn't know about until after Corbyn potentially became PM.

A former advisor's opinion is no better than ours or mine. He's an outsider now.