Whats the worst airline you've ever flown?

tobesure Aaarh!tobesure Aaarh! Posts: 1,159
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The one thats stands out to mind was American Airlines. Would never use them again. Flew from Gatwick to New York - New York to Jamaica, and on return flight Jamaica to Miami and connected back to Gatwick.

The first leg to New York was brilliant, but the flight to Jamaica, the toilets smelt like a cesspit and was rank you could smell the staleness throughout the plane when the door opened, the cabin crew were abrupt and rude (I don't know if it was because the place was full of Jamaicans or working in the stench):D On the flight back to Gatwick the customer service was non existent. I asked for a travel-cot for my baby (which they had provided first flight) they went away and never came back asked about three times, and then after asking again said they didnt have one. The crew behaved has if they were doing you a favour. I don't know if it is an American thing where has a foreigner you should be grateful to enter their country. Swore I would never fly them again.

Comments

• Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aeroflot

We had to have a whip round to land, and trust me it was worth every penny just to be able to get off.
  • big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thomas Cook! Couldn't move it was that cramped
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Delta! The fackers overbooked the plane and I ended up having to get back to Ireland via Amsterdam and 48 hours of no sleep. Only got $150 compensation too
  • SkycladSkyclad Posts: 3,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monarch
  • simonmooresimonmoore Posts: 643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I once flew on a Swissair flight. Everything ok until the landing lol. But once you crash land on the runway it kind of ruins the flight! I got the biggest friction sliding down that bloody emergency slide! Luckily they are not about anymore. They take you in a room to "de brief" you the captain walked in and said " that was a bit bumpy" lol. I have never been so scared in my life!
  • camercamer Posts: 5,237
    Forum Member
    Ryan air and Easy Jet simply because they always demand a passport to travel within the U.K:mad: both are joke outfits but I have to use them due to cost.
  • clarriboclarribo Posts: 6,258
    Forum Member
    Iberia- Madrid to Lima didn't even have personal choose your movie TVs. (this was in 2004)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BMI Baby- really dirty on the plane, loads of stuff left by previous people- used them because they were cheap but ended up having a six hour delay!

Won't book with them again!:(
  • jackyorkjackyork Posts: 6,608
    Forum Member
    The one thats stands out to mind was American Airlines. Would never use them again. Flew from Gatwick to New York - New York to Jamaica, and on return flight Jamaica to Miami and connected back to Gatwick.

The first leg to New York was brilliant, but the flight to Jamaica, the toilets smelt like a cesspit and was rank you could smell the staleness throughout the plane when the door opened, the cabin crew were abrupt and rude (I don't know if it was because the place was full of Jamaicans or working in the stench):D On the flight back to Gatwick the customer service was non existent. I asked for a travel-cot for my baby (which they had provided first flight) they went away and never came back asked about three times, and then after asking again said they didnt have one. The crew behaved has if they were doing you a favour. I don't know if it is an American thing where has a foreigner you should be grateful to enter their country. Swore I would never fly them again.

Yip American Airlines for me too Cabin crew very abrupt and wearing civvy clothes instead of uniforms, you couldnt tell who was staff and who were customers. Heathrow to New York .
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    I got on an Alitalia flight in Saudi Arabia and there were goats running up and down the aisles.
    To calm them down the owners put down hay.
    After a while the goats started to pee and crap in the aisles too.

Also, anybody else old enough to remember DanAir?
  • howard hhoward h Posts: 23,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jet2 are great....except for the crappy tinny musak they inflict on you before you take-off and after you land. All year, same 4/5 songs over and over again. If you are sat there and take-off is delayed, yup, the songs are on repeat, even if you ask for them to be turned off.
    I'm surprised none of the staff or passengers have taken them to court as surely it's psychological warfare and against H+S rules.

Please, Jet2, bin the musak, otherwise you're superb. It spoils it.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    camer wrote: »
    Ryan air and Easy Jet simply because they always demand a passport to travel within the U.K:mad: both are joke outfits but I have to use them due to cost.

I hate Ryanair as well, I'd rather walk to my destination than fly with them. Sometimes we've had to use them though if there was no other airline.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thomas Cook by far the worst. They have the tiniest seats for big bums.

Big bummed people should travel with Thomson and Monarch - Monarch especially as they seem to have a bit of extra leg room too :D
  • shoesgirlshoesgirl Posts: 179
    Forum Member
    irishguy wrote: »
    Delta! The fackers overbooked the plane and I ended up having to get back to Ireland via Amsterdam and 48 hours of no sleep. Only got $150 compensation too

We flew Delta once - an internal flight in the US - they were dreadfully disorganised. At the time we were a family of five and they allocated us 5 seats separated all over the plane - two together and three single seats all spread out. So that was useful - should one adult sit with the two year old or the disabled seven year old ?

However for us Ryan Air really took the biscuit - despite having ample notice they didn't organise a lift to get our wheelchair bound son on board. Instead they strapped him to a board and bounced him up the steps like a piece of meat.
    When we landed the other end again they had no lift but we refused to inflict anymore bruises on him and another passenger was very kind and helped my husband to carry him off the plane which was a bit more dignified but still not ideal.
    Did we get any apology when we complained? Did we heck they said that their flights weren't really intended for families with special needs and perhaps they were not the right airline for us.
    Needless to say we have never used them again.
  • Carlos_dfcCarlos_dfc Posts: 8,262
    Forum Member
    Garuda
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dan Air.Shocking bit of landing at Dalcross(Inverness) airport.Thought my number was up.He hit the runway with such force,i thought the shock absorbers were going to come up through the floor.
    Load of RAF pilots on board said they were going to 'have a word' with the the pilot!.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    Calling them an airline is rather generous, but ryanair play a fanfair when they land - this really worries me, it's almost like their in shock too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Virgin Atlantic are very poor for long haul, flew with them in both 2009 and 2010 and neither times have I been that impressed- also flown with Emirates and Delta in the same space of time and preferred them tenfold.

For shorthaul, Thomson Airways were awful. Just could not move.
  • shoesgirlshoesgirl Posts: 179
    Forum Member
    Virgin Atlantic are very poor for long haul, flew with them in both 2009 and 2010 and neither times have I been that impressed

They are our airline of choice - we have always been looked after very well by them and they have always been on the ball with our "special needs" as have British Airways when we've flown with them.
    The only slight issue we ever had with Virgin was when one of their cabin crew asked me if my son could understand them and he, sitting next to me, answered "My legs don't work but my hearing and brain are fine thank you".
    Soon put her in her place :D
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thomas Cook. Never again. That airline is for midgets.
  • PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    howard h wrote: »
    Jet2 are great....except for the crappy tinny musak they inflict on you before you take-off and after you land. All year, same 4/5 songs over and over again. If you are sat there and take-off is delayed, yup, the songs are on repeat, even if you ask for them to be turned off.
    I'm surprised none of the staff or passengers have taken them to court as surely it's psychological warfare and against H+S rules.

Please, Jet2, bin the musak, otherwise you're superb. It spoils it.

Jet2 are excellent! I was expecting an awful RyanAir/EasyJet experience, but Jet2 is basically like British Airways economy in 1990.

Brilliant for the money.
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ryanair and Mint Airlines (who substituted a Thomas Cook flight).
  • misha06misha06 Posts: 3,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iceland Express gets my vote

Mainly due to an engine catching fire on take off.:D
  • TombstoneTombstone Posts: 2,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monarch - miserable stewardesses. I don't expect them to be laughing their socks off, but a smile helps.

Brittania - purely because they kept us waiting at Mahon airport for 26 hours. Everyone drank their duty free so the virtually the whole passenger list was paralytic and somewhat fractious. To alleviate things when we finally got on board the pilot announced that all drinks would be free during the flight because of the inconvenience- we could have flown on the fumes if we had run out of fuel. It must have been an amazing sight as 300 of us staggered into Gatwick arrivals laughing and singing at 6 in the morning.

Bahamian Airways - f*** me is all I can say.

American Airlines - cheap, cheap, cheap. Ugly stews too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Monarch - by a long, long way.

Tiny seats, crap service, massive delays due to unserviceable aircraft and lies from the staff about what was happening.