Rememberance Day - 2 Minute Silence

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,156
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Next Thursday will be 11th November - Rememberance Day.

I will be observing the 2 minute silence to honour those that gave their lives for their country and so we could have a better quality of life.

All of our buses will stop en-route and park-up to observe it (where safe to do so).

Will you observe it and where will you be?

Lest We Forget.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,455
    Forum Member
    I will certainly be avoiding the roads. The amount of people that just think it's acceptable to slam on the brakes whereever they are as soon as it strikes 11am is unbelievable. Who do they think they are? :mad:

I hope your buses go to a proper car park and not just park up on the side of the road causing queues. Personally if I was a passenger on your bus I would be pretty pissed off especially if I had to be somewhere and the bus just randomly stopped. I probably wouldn't use the service again tbh.
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    Me, me, me, me, me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Confusing wrote: »
    I will certainly be avoiding the roads. The amount of people that just think it's acceptable to slam on the brakes whereever they are as soon as it strikes 11am is unbelievable. Who do they think they are? :mad:

I hope your buses go to a proper car park and not just park up on the side of the road causing queues. Personally if I was a passenger on your bus I would be pretty pissed off especially if I had to be somewhere and the bus just randomly stopped. I probably wouldn't use the service again tbh.

That is a pretty typical response from someone who thinks of no-one else but themselves.

To be fair, we have publicised what we're doing and drivers aren't as stupid as you think they are - there are things called Bus Stops where buses can, er, well, stop!

I don't think that anyone would slam their brakes on.....perhaps you should observe road users more carefully!

Clearly, if you were one of my passengers and got "pretty p***ed off", you wouldn't have the balls to voice your objections, thiough if you did, you'd be walking the rest of the way to wherever it is that's more importatnt than showing an ounce of respect for those that give people like you the chance to rant on forums like this with no grounded arguement.:mad:

I trust you see where I'm coming from.
  • Special K_Special K_ Posts: 6,320
    Forum Member
    Yes as I always do, I shall also be remembering my beloved grandpa who fought in the war. I will probably be on a train and if anyone talks I will tell them to shut up and learn some respect.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    I've no idea where I'll be and it's very unlikely I'll observe it either.
  • Bom Diddly WoBom Diddly Wo Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Next Thursday will be 11th November - Rememberance Day.

I will be observing the 2 minute silence to honour those that gave their lives for their country and so we could have a better quality of life.

All of our buses will stop en-route and park-up to observe it (where safe to do so).

Will you observe it and where will you be?

Lest We Forget.

It seems that we forget all too quickly and seem to send kids off to be killed and to kill for altogether ignoble reasons.
  • Bom Diddly WoBom Diddly Wo Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Special K_ wrote: »
    Yes as I always do, I shall also be remembering my beloved grandpa who fought in the war. I will probably be on a train and if anyone talks I will tell them to shut up and learn some respect.

Probably better to keep your own dignity and observe the silence as you wish to. You don't have the right to tell people what to do or how to feel and surely any aggression on your part would completely undermine the meaning of your observance.
  • embyemby Posts: 7,837
    Forum Member
    Next thursday at 11am i'll be in the cinema with a friend, so i'll be silent because of that. But i don't think i've ever observed the 2 minute silence since I left primary school.
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    surely any aggression on your part would completely undermine the meaning of your observance.
    Well said. This is the same issue as wearing a poppy I feel.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems that we forget all too quickly and seem to send kids off to be killed and to kill for altogether ignoble reasons.

I don't believe that we send our kids off to be killed.

Every young person has the right to enter into their chosen vocation.

For those that CHOOSE to join the armed forces, they have my utmost respect, and for that reason, we should take 2 minutes out of our lives to pay our respects.
  • flowerpowaflowerpowa Posts: 24,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emby wrote: »
    Next thursday at 11am i'll be in the cinema with a friend, so i'll be silent because of that. But i don't think i've ever observed the 2 minute silence since I left primary school.

I understand, like you, that we all forget in the rush of everyday life, why we have so much freedom in this Country, we just take it forgranted. I'm guilty too.

We should stop and think, for just 2 minutes, just once a year, for those young men and women who died for us. So that we could be free.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I work in Debenhams and there will be a 2 minute silence on Thursday at 11 and another one on Sunday.
  • mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not really for the war, is for mah birfday.
  • Yorkie47Yorkie47 Posts: 1,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think a few people need to see a couple of documentaries on what actually happened during the two World Wars. That said, respect for other people's opinions is always paramount.

Nothing to add, except it is actually called "Remembrance Sunday".
    Forum Member
    flowerpowa wrote: »
    I understand, like you, that we all forget in the rush of everyday life, why we have so much freedom in this Country, we just take it forgranted. I'm guilty too.

We should stop and think, for just 2 minutes, just once a year, for those young men and women who died for us. So that we could be free.

That's it definitley, rather than simply not caring.
    Forum Member
    Yorkie47 wrote: »
    I think a few people need to see a couple of documentaries on what actually happened during the two World Wars. That said, respect for other people's opinions is always paramount.

Even when it's on a different day of the week?
  • Special K_Special K_ Posts: 6,320
    Forum Member
    Probably better to keep your own dignity and observe the silence as you wish to. You don't have the right to tell people what to do or how to feel and surely any aggression on your part would completely undermine the meaning of your observance.

True. It is difficult to keep my mouth shut, I will try as you make some good points, I shall just scowl at anyone that talks.
  • User68571User68571 Posts: 3,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Confusing wrote: »

Is two minutes out of your life that hard to endure? People give their lives so you could have the freedom that you enjoy.

Attitudes like this disgust me when it comes to rememberance day.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's no chance I'll remember to do it.

However, if I now attach 4 poppies to my lapel - thus proving I care 4 times as much as the average person with their single poppied lapel - I believe I shall have enough credit in my bank of self-righteousness to forgo this public ritual of pretend remembrance without endangering my soul.
  • flowerpowaflowerpowa Posts: 24,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yorkie47 wrote: »

November 11th this year falls on a Thursday.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's no chance I'll remember to do it.

However, if I now attach 4 poppies to my lapel - thus proving I care 4 times as much as the average person with their single poppied lapel - I believe I shall have enough credit in my bank of self-righteousness to forgo this public ritual of pretend remembrance without endangering my soul.

I trust you also forego your Christmas presents this year as you don't celbrate/honour particular events or calendar dates.

Oh, I'll leave your birthday card in Clinton's too.
    Forum Member
    I trust you also forego your Christmas presents this year as you don't celbrate/honour particular events or calendar dates.

Oh, I'll leave your birthday card in Clinton's too.

To be fair, isn't it a choice whether people observe it or not?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    emby wrote: »
    To be fair, isn't it a choice whether people observe it or not?

Not according to the self-appointed guardians of public morality.
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member

This argument goes round and round and round and round...

For those who will not observe, I trust you will be respectful to those who do observe the 2 minutes silence. Last year, a shop neglected to switch off the loud music during the 2 minute silence and it caused chaos.
    Forum Member
    Not according to the self-appointed guardians of public morality.

So it seems.

It's not a requirement so as long as those who want to observe it, do so, what is the problem?