Great reaction imo.
  • dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant reaction I thought.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what kind of reaction is that, Phil makes it looks like it is wrong to be gay. knob:mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i wish they focused more on ben and phil instead of the stupid moons:mad::mad:
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what kind of reaction is that, Phil makes it looks like it is wrong to be gay. knob:mad:

No you got it so wrong, he cried because he loves his son and tried to deal with.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No you got it so wrong, he cried because he loves his son and tried to deal with.

but why cry, i get the impression that Phil would prefer Ben to be straight.
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course he would, but he cried surly because he loves his son and he was trying to deal with it, he almost hugged Ben i thought he was going to.
  • monalisa62003monalisa62003 Posts: 56,936
    Forum Member
    phil wants the perfect son - straight and to be more like him. he cried cos he finds it hard to deal with (i think )

wasn't expecting it though.
  • dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He was crying because he has known that it was coming but didnt want to ever hear it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dazza89 wrote: »
    He was crying because he has known that it was coming but didnt want to ever hear it.

well that is true, seeing has ben dressed up as kylie in that white dress a few years ago. the signs were there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phil took the news well then. :)
  • BeautifulSexy_1BeautifulSexy_1 Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil wanted the perfect son to be a hardman but Ben is just a gay camp boy
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member

Of COURSE Phil would prefer Ben to be straight, his character isn't the perfect father, in fact, far from it. He's not even a nice person!

Phils reaction was very believable I thought. Not at all ott. I was really impressed by it actually. Well done Eastenders.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 339
    Forum Member
    I was disappointed with how it went yesterday, but I was impressed with how it went tonight. I too wasn't expecting Phil to cry, I found it quite touching actually
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was expecting some sort of punch round the face, kind of disappointed really.
  • agatha_crispiesagatha_crispies Posts: 31,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think that Phil might be afraid that Ben's traumatic upbringing, which he partly brought about, has "made" him gay. It's a silly assumption, but one fathers subscribe to quite often. My dad was just the same, he thought I was hiding some sort of dreadful event from childhood, when in fact I had a stress-free (if chaotic) upbringing.
  • agatha_crispiesagatha_crispies Posts: 31,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil wanted the perfect son to be a hardman but Ben is just a gay camp boy

He isn't though. OldBen was. Joshua is playing him pretty straight-acting, in my opinion.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    AdzPower wrote: »
    I was expecting some sort of punch round the face, kind of disappointed really.

i thought that too
  • Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dare I say it to the doom mongers...good acting tonight from Steve & Joshua
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,750
    Forum Member
    Steve McFadden is a class act. They don't always know what to do with Phil now, but he always does his best with it and is generally very good in scenes like the one we just saw. What a fantastically acted reaction that was. Perfectly believable, especially for the character he is playing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think that the previous actor should've been replaced, nor do I believe that making Ben gay is that good a move in terms of character development. What was so interesting about Ben was that he was straight but such a camp, feeble, and pathetic disappointment to his father. The character's raison d'être was being so different from Phil.

Replacing the actor was a move to complete change the character by making Ben tougher and more confident after a rough time in prison, so making the character gay now with the new actor is silly. Joshua Pascoe cannot play camp, which is exactly what made Ben Ben.

Phil's crying was a good, unexpected reaction though. I predict him blaming Christian somehow in the near future.
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    Is Phil gone for a while then?

Always annoys me in soaps when characters go on an extended break after a big revelation.
  • monalisa62003monalisa62003 Posts: 56,936
    Forum Member
    Agent F wrote: »
    Is Phil gone for a while then?

Always annoys me in soaps when characters go on an extended break after a big revelation.

no mention in spoilers till the end of the month :(
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    no mention in spoilers till the end of the month :(

That sucks - would have been great to see the immediate aftermath and Phil working through this.

I did think it was a great reaction though - perfectly in character for Phil to react like that. All of his ideas about what he wanted his son to be like have just been thrown out of the window. From his perspective its all of his worst nightmares come true.
  • dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,279
    Forum Member
    Agent F wrote: »
    That sucks - would have been great to see the immediate aftermath and Phil working through this.

I did think it was a great reaction though - perfectly in character for Phil to react like that. All of his ideas about what he wanted his son to be like have just been thrown out of the window. From his perspective its all of his worst nightmares come true.
    The storyline stills plays out though with Ben & Roxy on Monday:)