Options

Newsreader Pronunciation

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 58
Forum Member
Anyone else noticed how BBC newsreaders have taken to pronouncing Bahrain sort of like 'Bark-rain' instead or 'Bah-rain'. It sounded particularly bad in the BBC News this evening when the newsreader used 'Bark' and the reporter used 'Bah'. I've noticed something similar with Afghanistan.

Pretty unimportant I know but I thought the BBC had rules about these things.

Comments

• Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably an Anglicised version of the local pronunciation - after all we say Paris but the French say Paree.We say Beijing but it sounds nothing like that in Mandarin.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They seem to exagerate the "H" sound, like a Scouser saying "back"
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which newsreader complained that after he'd spent a lot of time practicing and finally after months had mastered saying "Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa, the Prime Minister of Nigeria," he went and got himself killed in a coup?
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you remember the Pamela Stephenson take off of Angela Rippon saying "Gay ree ar" for guerrilla.?:rolleyes:
  • Options
    springtimeloverspringtimelover Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    They seem to exagerate the "H" sound, like a Scouser saying "back"

Im sure thats how it would be said, the H is like a flemmy click at the back of the the throat?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who was the TV football commentator who used to exaggerate the local pronunciation of the names of foreign players?
    It really got irritating after a while.
  • Options
    QWERTYOPQWERTYOP Posts: 6,878
    Forum Member
    Who was the TV football commentator who used to exaggerate the local pronunciation of the names of foreign players?
    It really got irritating after a while.

All of them!
  • Options
    LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im sure thats how it would be said, the H is like a flemmy click at the back of the the throat?
    Yup.
    That's what all the locals seem to say when they get interviewed on TV.
  • Options
    Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    Which newsreader complained that after he'd spent a lot of time practicing and finally after months had mastered saying "Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa, the Prime Minister of Nigeria," he went and got himself killed in a coup?

Have a funny feeling it was Trevor McDonald, but I could be wrong.
  • Options
    StaffsyeomanStaffsyeoman Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another mention (as I have elsewhere) for those who keep saying "Arfharnistan'. Worst offender Mishal Husain. Got to go, must feed the arfhan harnd.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think you will find a number of newsreaders, BBC and ITN, have claimed that one over the years:D

Then there was Jack de Manio on the old BBC Home Service who introduced the music Land of the Niger as ''Land of the N****r'' (true:eek:)
  • Options
    HenryBaneHenryBane Posts: 4,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Probably an Anglicised version of the local pronunciation - after all we say Paris but the French say Paree.We say Beijing but it sounds nothing like that in Mandarin.

It is odd that they Anglicise some words as you say, Paris rather than Paree, yet they pronounce Sarkozy the French way, some newsreaders even put on a French accent when they say his name, like it's Allo Allo and not the news.
  • Options
    WingerWinger Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I seem to remember Andrew Gardiner (RIP) laying claim to that during an episode of 'It'll be Alright on the Night'. He said he had been practising his name for a considerable period of time "...and then they shot him."
  • Options
    ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,855
    Forum Member
    Reggie Bosenquet was the king of pronounciation :D
  • Options
    Bob PaisleyBob Paisley Posts: 3,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HenryBane wrote: »
    It is odd that they Anglicise some words as you say, Paris rather than Paree, yet they pronounce Sarkozy the French way, some newsreaders even put on a French accent when they say his name, like it's Allo Allo and not the news.

Fiona Bruce is a particularly bad offender when it comes to this sort of thing. I think she did modern languages at university - so she feels the need to go into 'funny accent' mode every time a foreign word appears.

It reminds me of this sketch by Catherine Tate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc8tfioOKvU
  • Options
    allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ToffeeGuy wrote: »
    Anyone else noticed how BBC newsreaders have taken to pronouncing Bahrain sort of like 'Bark-rain' instead or 'Bah-rain'. It sounded particularly bad in the BBC News this evening when the newsreader used 'Bark' and the reporter used 'Bah'. I've noticed something similar with Afghanistan.

The newsreaders you heard probably pronounced it BarHrain with an aspirated H (like loCH) which is closer to the native pron but actually a bit pretentious! We generally have to stick to the established Anglicized pron... if this helps!
  • Options
    NonamooseNonamoose Posts: 1,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My wish is that they'd all learn to pronounce Secretary properly. I've heard secatry secretry and other variations - it drives me bloody mad.
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another mention (as I have elsewhere) for those who keep saying "Arfharnistan'. Worst offender Mishal Husain. Got to go, must feed the arfhan harnd.
    But if you listen to a local saying Afghanistan that's more or less how it sounds. It's our anglicisation which puts a hard G in there. At a guess Mishal Husain might have a good insight in how to pronuonce such things correctly. I don't have a problem with newsreaders or football commentators having a go at correct pronunciation, the problem is when they overly stress it, showing off their "knowledge" which isn't always correct.

The way the main ITV football commentator pronounces Drogba as Drogbarrr really annoys me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    I think you will find a number of newsreaders, BBC and ITN, have claimed that one over the years:D

Then there was Jack de Manio on the old BBC Home Service who introduced the music Land of the Niger as ''Land of the N****r'' (true:eek:)

Jack de Manio, (MC and Bar, wasn't aware of that for years) regularly got the time wrong by an hour.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    ToffeeGuy wrote: »

I have noticed this. It wouldn't be so noticable if they pronounced it the same but each news reader / report seems to swap between the two.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    Do you remember the Pamela Stephenson take off of Angela Rippon saying "Gay ree ar" for guerrilla.?:rolleyes:

That's how Angela Ribbon used to say it, to be fair. She was the one who started all this local pronounciation/'say it like the natives do'. I remember she used pause slightly before coming out with it.
  • Options
    nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There seems to be an increasing inability by some newsreaders/commentators in pronouncing their x's. For example: they keep saying "sikth" instead of 'sixth'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They can't say secretary either.
  • Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    allafix wrote: »
    But if you listen to a local saying Afghanistan that's more or less how it sounds. It's our anglicisation which puts a hard G in there. At a guess Mishal Husain might have a good insight in how to pronuonce such things correctly. I don't have a problem with newsreaders or football commentators having a go at correct pronunciation, the problem is when they overly stress it, showing off their "knowledge" which isn't always correct.

The way the main ITV football commentator pronounces Drogba as Drogbarrr really annoys me.

But in English 'Afghanistan' isn't pronounced like a native of Kabul says it so why does that news reader insist on, in effect, mispronouncing it? It's just to show off. 'Oslo' is pronounced 'Ooshlo' by Norwegians but that's not how it should be said in a news broadcast in the English language.
    What next...'Montreal' being said 'Mon-rayalle' like Quebecers say it??
  • Options
    oulandyoulandy Posts: 18,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But in English 'Afghanistan' isn't pronounced like a native of Kabul says it so why does that news reader insist on, in effect, mispronouncing it? It's just to show off. 'Oslo' is pronounced 'Ooshlo' by Norwegians but that's not how it should be said in a news broadcast in the English language.
    What next...'Montreal' being said 'Mon-rayalle' like Quebecers say it??

Yes, it's odd when you hear an English newsreader saying it with an accent that sounds Afghani or Pakistani, rather than saying it the English way. I don't know why they do that.