HP brings back Windows 7

Comments

• cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    About time too. It means more choice for consumers. There are a lot of people who would probably jump at the chance to buy a Windows 7 computer rather than a Windows 8 one. Let's hope mainstream computer stores start selling them again.
  • DANCE OF DEATHDANCE OF DEATH Posts: 4,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have windows 8.1 and love it. I have no problems using the metro screen or doing to desktop. Microsoft did drop the ball when they left off the start menu, but I use Start 8 and it is there just like windows 7. So I have the best of both worlds...
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A clever move by HP, but you'd have to be very foolish to buy a Windows 7 machine in 2014.

I personally can't see the point of wanting a slower, more resource hungry OS on a brand new machine. Windows 8.1 is just more efficient and streamlined and it is noticeably faster than Windows 7 to me, especially starting up. But I guess the choice is nice for some. :)
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    HP just preying on the ignorant and lonely....;-)
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is marketing, simple as that, they know that 8 have not done so well and sales of machines have dropped, so they are hoping that this will get more peopel to buy. but i doubt it will.

the other problem is it is HP, I don't really give their computers much credit to be honest.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People want W7, people will get it. W8 is an improvement over W7, it's just UI that causes the drama.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This doesn't look good for Microsoft. I do think Microsoft made a big mistake in getting rid of the Start menu though. They should have left things alone that didn't need fixed.
    Forum Member
    Zack06 wrote: »
    A clever move by HP, but you'd have to be very foolish to buy a Windows 7 machine in 2014.

I personally can't see the point of wanting a slower, more resource hungry OS on a brand new machine. Windows 8.1 is just more efficient and streamlined and it is noticeably faster than Windows 7 to me, especially starting up. But I guess the choice is nice for some. :)

The average punter wouldn't think of that though. Most people walking into a mainstream computer store would probably take one look at Windows 8 and leave without buying anything. They want the Windows they're used to and Windows 7 would be that as it still has the familiar interface.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    This doesn't look good for Microsoft. I do think Microsoft made a big mistake in getting rid of the Start menu though. They should have left things alone that didn't need fixed.

I agree that they should have left the Start Menu as if they had left that in they would have managed to get away from most of the complaints about the rest of the OS.

But I disagree they should have left it all alone - you have to keep improving and can't just stand still.
    Forum Member
    The average punter wouldn't think of that though. Most people walking into a mainstream computer store would probably take one look at Windows 8 and leave without buying anything. They want the Windows they're used to and Windows 7 would be that as it still has the familiar interface.

..and yet, that mainstream computer store is selling plenty of Windows 8.1 machines to your 'average punter'. Shame they don't read the tech forums and understand that they shouldn't bother to learn about something new...:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    I agree that they should have left the Start Menu as if they had left that in they would have managed to get away from most of the complaints about the rest of the OS.

But I disagree they should have left it all alone - you have to keep improving and can't just stand still.

Things, as in, some things.
    Forum Member
    call100 wrote: »
    ..and yet, that mainstream computer store is selling plenty of Windows 8.1 machines to your 'average punter'. Shame they don't read the tech forums and understand that they shouldn't bother to learn about something new...:)

That's because those stores want to sell people Windows 8. Maybe smaller independent stores sell Windows 7 or would custom build a Windows 7 machine for someone but the mainstream stores want to flog W8. Last time I was in my local PC World they still had big Windows 8 adverts all over the place.
    Forum Member
    That's because those stores want to sell people Windows 8. Maybe smaller independent stores sell Windows 7 or would custom build a Windows 7 machine for someone but the mainstream stores want to flog W8. Last time I was in my local PC World they still had big Windows 8 adverts all over the place.
    You were referring to 'Mainstream' stores. So the 'average' punter isn't walking away because of the OS.
    Forum Member
    call100 wrote: »
    You were referring to 'Mainstream' stores. So the 'average' punter isn't walking away because of the OS.

When I say mainstream stores I refer to the likes of Currys PC World. Sometimes they are. I was in my local Currys last Saturday and there were loads of people and some of them weren't impressed by W8. I saw a lot of them looking at the tablets and Chromebooks. There was only one lonely Mac in the store :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Windows 8.1 has a desktop environment so I don't think that is a convincing argument. But if people want to be taken for fools, then that is their prerogative I guess. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I say mainstream stores I refer to the likes of Currys PC World. Sometimes they are. I was in my local Currys last Saturday and there were loads of people and some of them weren't impressed by W8. I saw a lot of them looking at the tablets and Chromebooks. There was only one lonely Mac in the store :(

You love to 'bash' Windows so how can we believe that what you're saying above is true?
  • GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it were up to some people we would still be stuck using old commodores (and I say that as someone who loves commodores). Change happens, get used to it.

Windows 8.1 ain't perfect, but it's desktop environment is demonstrably better than 7 and the start menu, screen, or whatever you want to call it, is actually much more configurable and nicer to use if you can be bothered to learn to adapt to new things.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it were up to some people we would still be stuck using old commodores (and I say that as someone who loves commodores). Change happens, get used to it.

Windows 8.1 ain't perfect, but it's desktop environment is demonstrably better than 7 and the start menu, screen, or whatever you want to call it, is actually much more configurable and nicer to use if you can be bothered to learn to adapt to new things.

Metro user interface, to be technical.
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,416
    Forum Member
    This isn't all that surprising. All the major PC manufacturers were complaining of massive drops in sales since Windows 8 was launched. Its good that HP are taking the initiative on this one, but to be fair you have always been able to get Win7 via the business stores of HP/Dell/Lenovo/Fujitsu etc. The question will be how much publicity and marketing this gets and if it makes others follow suit.
  • Esot-ericEsot-eric Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    I personally can't see the point of wanting a slower, more resource hungry OS on a brand new machine. Windows 8.1 is just more efficient and streamlined and it is noticeably faster than Windows 7 to me, especially starting up.

That's because by default Windows 8 no longer fully shuts down when you select "shutdown" (you either have to dive down through several menus or create a shortcut to run
    shutdown /s /t 0

). Try fully shutting down and then see if booting is faster than Windows 7.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Esot-eric wrote: »
    That's because by default Windows 8 no longer fully shuts down when you select "shutdown" (you either have to dive down through several menus or create a shortcut to run. Try fully shutting down and then see if booting is faster than Windows 7.

I'm well aware of the boot enhancements made in Windows 8. The point still stands that it has a positive effect on daily usage, particularly when starting up or putting the device to sleep.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you look at the corporate market the vast majority of new systems are configured for Windows 8. Most businesses don't want to touch Windows 8 as it gives their desktop and laptop users very little new, causes a lot of new problems and means they would have to spend a lot of money on training.
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    You love to 'bash' Windows so how can we believe that what you're saying above is true?

I was just reporting on what I noticed in Currys on Saturday. Not too many people were interested in Windows 8. Most of the time the Windows bashing is just an act. I hadn't got much Mac experience when I first switched to it in August 2010. I had mostly used Windows XP and 2000 and I still have very fond memories of Windows 98. I hated Vista though and let's not talk about ME. I've used many versions going back to 3.1 so although I love Macs I'm not entirely unfamiliar with the world of Windows.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted.
    Forum Member
    I was just reporting on what I noticed in Currys on Saturday. Not too many people were interested in Windows 8. Most of the time the Windows bashing is just an act. I hadn't got much Mac experience when I first switched to it in August 2010. I had mostly used Windows XP and 2000 and I still have very fond memories of Windows 98. I hated Vista though and let's not talk about ME. I've used many versions going back to 3.1 so although I love Macs I'm not entirely unfamiliar with the world of Windows.

So, you knew all of these people were not interested in W8.1? even though you didn't speak to them, didn't know if they had come in for some ink and were just browsing? Stood there long enough to see them all walk away without doing what you imagined they were there for and knew it was because they disliked the OS?^_^