Hi-de-Hi! - a very random question....

jiroosjiroos Posts: 15,212
Forum Member
✭✭
As the Royal Variety Performance sometimes invites casts on to perform (Neighbours, Corrie, Only Fools, Bread to name a few), did the cast of Hi-de-Hi! ever appear?

I have this very vague memory of its cast appearing in a sketch which followed a ballet routine involving water. When the dance finished, Su Pollard (in her guise as 'Peggy') came on complaining about all the water that had been splashed and that she'd better get it cleaned up quick before 'Miss Cathcart' comes along. She went on to say there's so much to do that she may need some help. On blowing a whistle, the curtains were pulled back to reveal the entire cast, each with mop in hand, All then began to mop the floor. I seem to particularly remember 'Yvonne Stuart-Hargreaves' (Diane Holland) playing up to her snooty character's persona, thereby hardly even wanting to touch, let alone use her mop!

I remember loving seeing this the first time but have never been able to find it. Would someone be able to assure me that I have not imagined this and post a link to it if they have one?

Thanks!

Comments

• Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't help you there, I'm afraid, but having seen the re-run of the series, any mention of Hi de Hi brings back an image of Ruth Madoc in her ladybird fancy dress costume. "sex on legs."
  • jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    Ruth Madoc and Su pollard appeared in 1986 but not as their Hi De Hi characters
  • grilligrilli Posts: 1,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes they did, it was shown recently on one of the sunday night at the paladium history shows
  • jiroosjiroos Posts: 15,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grilli wrote: »
    yes they did, it was shown recently on one of the sunday night at the paladium history shows

Thanks grilli - and did it go something along the lines of my explanation?
  • jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    jiroos wrote: »
    Thanks grilli - and did it go something along the lines of my explanation?

Have a look through this, every act to appear at The RVP, I cannot find hi de hi
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Royal_Variety_Performances
  • jiroosjiroos Posts: 15,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jackol wrote: »
    Have a look through this, every act to appear at The RVP, I cannot find hi de hi
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Royal_Variety_Performances

Already did this - hence why I began to wonder if I just imagined the entire thing...

On the other hand, I know that that Wikipedia list is inaccurate because, although Max Bygraves is listed as appearing in 1986, he did so with the cast of Eastenders who, despite their massive popularity after their first year, are not listed.

Thanks all the same jackol:)
  • jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    OP you're not going mad, because when I read this I remembered it too from the depths of my subconscious!

It definitely involved some dance routine in a little pool, possibly accompanied by Handel's "water music". May not have been the RVP, could have been for a TV special or telethon or something like that - I've had a very quick search on Google and Youtube but couldn't find anything though.
  • NELLIENASHNELLIENASH Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes they all did - a couple of cast had speaking parts, maybe Paul Shane and Su Pollard then the whole cast appeared and the joke was they were sweeping/mopping the stage floor - I remember Yvonne looking indignant in her ballgown. It was 82/83/84 -and a very quick sketch
  • davadsdavads Posts: 8,643
    Forum Member
    Su did the Children's Royal Variety in 1985, could it have been that? (Doesn't mention the Palladium though.)

http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/e06ca958c10c40d080d2893ac0b60a30
  • davadsdavads Posts: 8,643
    Forum Member
    davads wrote: »
    Su did the Children's Royal Variety in 1985, could it have been that? (Doesn't mention the Palladium though.)

http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/e06ca958c10c40d080d2893ac0b60a30

Well, I seem to have killed this thread :) What do you reckon to my suggestion OP?