Options

The Other Prince William 27/8 C4

Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
Forum Member
✭✭
Did anyone see this? I'd never heard of him before, I found it interesting even though I'm not a royalist, but most of all I was thinking that if any film maker wanted to make a biopic of this guy then they absolutely have to cast Jude Law in the lead role....

Comments

• Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Damn got excited when I saw the thread title thought it was a documentary suggesting Prince William is really a complete arse in private and has Kate locked up in a tower. ;)
  • Options
    ChrissieAOChrissieAO Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member
    Did anyone see this? I'd never heard of him before, I found it interesting even though I'm not a royalist, but most of all I was thinking that if any film maker wanted to make a biopic of this guy then they absolutely have to cast Jude Law in the lead role....

I thought it was very interesting and I had heard of him and knew he was killed in a plane crash but this is the first time I have actually seen footage of him.

I agree about Jude Law, definitely they look alike.
  • Options
    firefly_irlfirefly_irl Posts: 4,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really interesting documentary, of course twitter had a few conspiracy theories about possible tampering with the plane rather than an "accident". Who knows.

Jude Law would be a bit old though no, William was 30 when he dies and the Zsuzi character older than that. I mean its a film so they go could artistic license with it.

I was more thinking of who'd play Zsuzi, I though Olga Kurylenko cause she'd have an Eastern European accent and is hot, or even a Mila Kunis.

But the story has to become a film, its just too interesting not to be.
  • Options
    MadBettyMadBetty Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be interesting to see a doco made about his father, the old Duke of Gloucester, who was known to be a rather unbalanced individual - he was Governor General of Australia during WW2 and the family lived there during his office. There are well documented accounts of his erratic behaviour and the costs of repairing the damage he caused to his GG residence after his violent outbursts. Some even allege he slapped his wife, Princess Alice, around quite badly when the mood was on him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Re him: I'm wondering how come he was a prince as opposed to a duke or a lord, Prince Edward's children AFAIK do not have the titles 'prince/princess' & Edward's kids like William are/was the child/children of the youngest child of a monarch.

Re her: as a Hungarian I was confused as to how she was free to 'globe-trot', yes I know she was an air-hostess, but back then Hungary was part of the Eastern Bloc, a communist country, I thought that citizens of those countries during that time were not allowed to travel freely; plus who was looking after her daughter.....?
  • Options
    ChrissieAOChrissieAO Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE=Jenny_Sawyer;79426311]Re him: I'm wondering how come he was a prince as opposed to a duke or a lord, Prince Edward's children AFAIK do not have the titles 'prince/princess' & Edward's kids like William are/was the child/children of the youngest child of a monarch.

Re her: as a Hungarian I was confused as to how she was free to 'globe-trot', yes I know she was an air-hostess, but back then Hungary was part of the Eastern Bloc, a communist country, I thought that citizens of those countries during that time were not allowed to travel freely; plus who was looking after her daughter.....?[/QUOTE]

Not absolutely sure myself, but I can only think that he was descended through the male line, ie KIng George, whereas Edward was through the female line, Queen Elizabeth.

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong...
  • Options
    damianswifedamianswife Posts: 1,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MadBetty wrote: »
    It would be interesting to see a doco made about his father, the old Duke of Gloucester, who was known to be a rather unbalanced individual - he was Governor General of Australia during WW2 and the family lived there during his office. There are well documented accounts of his erratic behaviour and the costs of repairing the damage he caused to his GG residence after his violent outbursts. Some even allege he slapped his wife, Princess Alice, around quite badly when the mood was on him.[/Q

I wonder if Henry, Duke of Gloucester suffered from Porphyria. William certainly did.
  • Options
    Surf's UpSurf's Up Posts: 2,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure I watched a documentary saying he did, some years ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Re her: as a Hungarian I was confused as to how she was free to 'globe-trot', yes I know she was an air-hostess, but back then Hungary was part of the Eastern Bloc, a communist country, I thought that citizens of those countries during that time were not allowed to travel freely; plus who was looking after her daughter.....?

Her estranged husband was American so I'm assuming she married him and acquired US citizenship or defected or something. Yeah the how she ended up living in Japan was never explained.

Hungary wasn't like Yugoslavia in terms of travel freedoms and exit visas were long processes so it must be cause she married an American.
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Re him: I'm wondering how come he was a prince as opposed to a duke or a lord, Prince Edward's children AFAIK do not have the titles 'prince/princess' & Edward's kids like William are/was the child/children of the youngest child of a monarch.

All children and grandchildren of a monarch are automatically prince or princess at birth. However, the monarch can change all titles at their discretion, and Prince Edward requested his children have non-royal titles (as did Princess Anne).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »
    All children and grandchildren of a monarch are automatically prince or princess at birth. However, the monarch can change all titles at their discretion, and Prince Edward requested his children have non-royal titles (as did Princess Anne).

I thought that Anne's kids didn't have titles because she married a 'commoner', & as with us regular folk - when a man & a woman get married the woman [usually] takes on the man's surname & the kids have their father's not mother's surname; I think Edward's kids are Lord & Lady.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Her estranged husband was American so I'm assuming she married him and acquired US citizenship or defected or something. Yeah the how she ended up living in Japan was never explained.

Hungary wasn't like Yugoslavia in terms of travel freedoms and exit visas were long processes so it must be cause she married an American.

Was Yugoslavia the most liberal of the former Eastern Bloc countries?
  • Options
    kitchenpersonkitchenperson Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    But the story has to become a film, its just too interesting not to be.
    There was a film made in 1976 called "Seven Nights in Japan", starring Michael York as "Prince George" who goes awol in Japan and falls for a local girl. The true story of William of Gloucester may have been the inspiration for the script.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Nights_in_Japan
  • Options
    Surf's UpSurf's Up Posts: 2,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched it, fascinating. Zsuzsi Starkloff is still a strikingly beautiful woman even aged nearly 80.
  • Options
    kayceekaycee Posts: 12,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought that Anne's kids didn't have titles because she married a 'commoner', & as with us regular folk - when a man & a woman get married the woman [usually] takes on the man's surname & the kids have their father's not mother's surname; I think Edward's kids are Lord & Lady.

No, if that was true then Prince Andrew's girls wouldn't have titles, as their mother is a commoner.

Anne didn't want her kids to have titles. I remember her saying, in an interview, if they want titles let them earn them! Good for Anne!

If you meet her when she is not representing royalty, you would find her completely down to earth and easy to talk to. [I met her several through mutual interest at a Three-Day Event, when her only interest was as a Mum watching her daughter].
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kaycee wrote: »
    No, if that was true then Prince Andrew's girls wouldn't have titles, as their mother is a commoner.

Anne didn't want her kids to have titles. I remember her saying, in an interview, if they want titles let them earn them! Good for Anne!

If you meet her when she is not representing royalty, you would find her completely down to earth and easy to talk to. [I met her several through mutual interest at a Three-Day Event, when her only interest was as a Mum watching her daughter].

She's the mother though - women take their husband's names/titles & not vice versa.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was Yugoslavia the most liberal of the former Eastern Bloc countries?

Yep its wasn't behind the Iron Curtain because Tito didn't let himself be bullied by Stalin and maintained relations with the West and East so it was all pretty open for a Communist country in Europe at the time. American and Western TV was commonplace and citizens could legally emigrate from the early 60s. The economics was different too with more focus on workplace co-ops rather than heavy handed central state ownership.

Oh and they unlike any other communist country entered the Eurovision :D