Options

Since we all think it's a stitch up, why do we watch?

Jessica_HambyJessica_Hamby Posts: 1,622
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Are our lives really so sad?

Comments

• Options
    FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good discussion and self amusement on DS...

To watch decent singers singing each week
  • Options
    Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it's a fix, just that they try to second guess how much money can be made from the people who get through. However, none of them really know. Who would have thought that Susan Boyle would have had a succ essful career on the back of BGT.

I just wish they would focus on talent rather than looks.

If Hannah doesn't get through to live shows I don't think I'll be arsed with it this year.
  • Options
    misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Entertainment, really. If you don't take it so seriously, the obvious "stitch up" stuff doesn't really matter to you. There's bigger things to be outraged about in life.
  • Options
    billiesmithbilliesmith Posts: 11,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Entertainment, really. If you don't take it so seriously, the obvious "stitch up" stuff doesn't really matter to you. There's bigger things to be outraged about in life.

Exactly - I am aware there are stitch ups going on and I don't care - I also love the 'live tv' experience where anything can happen. It is Saturday/Sunday night entertainment, nothing more.

Although occasionally there can be a performance that really impresses (but that is a bonus).

My worry for this year is that the contestants appear to be slightly dull so not sure how much entertainment there is to be had.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Couldn't agree more

Don't take it seriously and don't waste money voting
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Entertainment I suppose. Same with scripted comedies, you know what happens, why watch
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My worry for this year is that the contestants appear to be slightly dull so not sure how much entertainment there is to be had.

I've been thinking the same. The lack of a "joke act" this year is something of a loss, to me - at least that was something I could look forward to. I do enjoy seeing a genuinely good vocal performance, but they're often few and far between.
    Verence wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more

Don't take it seriously and don't waste money voting

Exactly. If you're going to complain, but then waste money voting, you've only got yourself to blame for being suckered in.
  • Options
    paralaxparalax Posts: 12,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's good entertainment for us sad folk who don't go out on cold, dark Saturday evenings, or sundays come to that.

You have to see it for what is it, desperate wannabees who are nowhere near as good as they think, who don't stand a dogs chance,even the winner of a long term career. The judges know it, the audience knows it, Cowell knows it but hey, he makes many times more money out of the show than the meagre budget he spends on the unfortunate winner's first album of covers.

Trouble is the only people who are in complete denial are the poor contestants. Once in a while somebody does well out of it, rarely the winner due to the multiple voting. They should know better but if they didn't offer themselves up for our weekly entertainment there would be no show.
  • Options
    AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because there is a limit to how much they can manipulate it, and usually the right person wins the show. Or I just have the same tastes as the producers! I find it worth watching because I usually end up enjoying some of the records that the contestants end up putting out. If I didn't, I wouldn't watch it.
  • Options
    mysty211mysty211 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's nothing else to watch and I'm not as interested in watching people dance at least strictly anyway. I know even if I say I'm not going to watch I will because it's good Saturday/Sunday night tv.
    I'm interested in it even if I may not like every single decision.
  • Options
    DaewosDaewos Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member

This. Plus laughing at the outrage on here from people who take it far too seriously. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daewos wrote: »
    This. Plus laughing at the outrage on here from people who take it far too seriously. :D

Oh of course, that too!
  • Options
    billiesmithbilliesmith Posts: 11,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh of course, that too!

That may be the most entertaining part of all :D
  • Options
    Geri69Geri69 Posts: 1,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually the best parts of the show will be over tonight.I like the audtions, boot camp and judges houses.I will watch the live shows but they seem a bit dull this year.Mainly I will watch cos there isnt much else on.Most Saturday nights for me are takeaways, wine and x factor.Sad.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not all of us play into the conspiracy theories and the laughable concept of "the producers" being omnipotent devils pulling the strings and controlling the world's media.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not all of us play into the conspiracy theories and the laughable concept of "the producers" being omnipotent devils pulling the strings and controlling the world's media.

More fool you then. Have a look at the thread about Sam's house and see how you're being blagged.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Geri69 wrote: »
    Actually the best parts of the show will be over tonight.I like the audtions, boot camp and judges houses.I will watch the live shows but they seem a bit dull this year.Mainly I will watch cos there isnt much else on.Most Saturday nights for me are takeaways, wine and x factor.Sad.

For me it starts to go downhill at bootcamp and gets worse. I'll be watching Strictly but not x-factor (except maybe for the binning at the end of the Sunday show, if I remember).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That may be the most entertaining part of all :D

Its certainly proving to be tonight. If I had a pound for every post wailing about Melanie McCabe...
  • Options
    HermanazoHermanazo Posts: 2,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because there's nothing else. Unless you like bad dancing, of course.
  • Options
    ameredithameredith Posts: 1,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to watch both X factor and Strictly but this year I made the decision not to watch x factor at all and I haven't watched a bit of it. Sounds like I haven't missed much.
  • Options
    DixDix Posts: 79,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are our lives really so sad?
    There are a lot of real sad lives out there, but one thing re XF is, if one doesn't like the performers, then the choice of songs given to them can be very interesting. That's the part I like to hear:)