Options

If you saw a Police Officer struggling to arrest someone.Would you offer assistance?.

12346»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Somner wrote: »

I've had help from members of the public on a couple of occasions and it was always welcome. I drove in to the town centre one evening just as a lad punched another in the head, I chased him and caught him down a poorly lit backstreet. I was lucky that another chap had followed and gave me a hand keeping the lad under control, because it was almost 10 minutes until any other officers arrived, by which point we were both completely knackered. Had I not been helped then the offender would have got away, and we'd have almost certainly never traced him (he was from a town 40 miles away and on a one time visit). There would have been no justice for the victim. Because somebody helped me, there was justice for the victim.

Try arresting a violent person when you're alone in the early hours of the morning, no vehicle and no police radio, just your whistle :o - my late dad joined the Police in the 1950's. ;-)

I could tell you some stories. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, because then they could arrest me for obstruction of justice. Unless they ask me, I am not going to get involved because civil action could be taken against me by whoever they apprehend if they are not found guilty and I'd also be expected to go to court as a witness.
  • Options
    2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes without hesitation. No conditions.

EDIT:

Look at this story:
    A teenager who wrestled a man to the ground after he assaulted two police officers has been recognised for his bravery.
    Kiya Ingham, 16, from Sussex, saw the man push over PCs Lynsey Burkinshaw and Johanna Clarke after they had put him in a police car.
    Kiya was walking in Lewes Road in Brighton on 10 June when he chased the suspect, who threatened and abused him.
    He was presented with an award at an Sussex Police event.
    Bradley Hughes, 31, from Pelham Place in Seaford was restrained by the two officers, with Kiya's help.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-29236252

I think it's a duty of every able citizen to do something like this.
  • Options
    Dave3622Dave3622 Posts: 1,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2+2=5 wrote: »

Congrats on your 20000'th post (if you reply to this) !! :)
  • Options
    SomnerSomner Posts: 9,412
    Forum Member
    No, because then they could arrest me for obstruction of justice. Unless they ask me, I am not going to get involved because civil action could be taken against me by whoever they apprehend if they are not found guilty and I'd also be expected to go to court as a witness.

Most of that isn't true.

The last bit is selfishness.
  • Options
    Dave3622Dave3622 Posts: 1,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of that isn't true.

The last bit is selfishness.

Depends on your own personal circumstances. I suffer from social anxiety and would literally crumble if I had to appear in court.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Nobody will be prosecuted for helping when they feel it necessary to do so, and in good faith, so long as what they do is reasonable.

That may or may not be the case but, given some of the completely ass-backwards applications of the law which get reported in the media these days, that's not the perception that exists.

Besides, if a cop is struggling with somebody apparently intent on escape, how am I supposed to know what is considered reasonable?
    A kick in the nuts or a punch in the face is almost certainly going to prevent him getting away but is that reasonable or not?

And then what happens if I decide to sit on somebody who's face-down on the floor while a cop gets his 'cuffs out and the guy ends up losing some teeth or gets a broken nose?
    How can I be sure he won't try to get me nicked for assault or take civil action to seek compensation and/or pay for dental/medical treatment?
    I don't have any kind of insurance to cover the cost of such an action.
    Can I expect assistance from the police or the local authorities for my legal fees?

Don't get me wrong. I'd always try and do what's right.
    Just seems like 50 years ago you "knew" the cops were right and so anybody they were dealing with was likely to be in the wrong and there'd be very little concern over repercussions.
    Alas, neither of those things can be taken for granted these days so it's inevitable that people's responses will be far more ambiguous.
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Just seems like 50 years ago you "knew" the cops were right and so anybody they were dealing with was likely to be in the wrong and there'd be very little concern over repercussions.
    Alas, neither of those things can be taken for granted these days so it's inevitable that people's responses will be far more ambiguous.

I think that's spot-on. I like to think of myself as a fairly law abiding citizen who would go to the aid of anyone in trouble. But my view of the police was changed forever by the events of the 80's. They showed that they were prepared to be used as the political tools of a government who were out to smash the unions and destroy communities. What's more, a good number of them appeared to enjoy it. After that there was Hillsborough, and the cover-up that followed.
    Obviously, the rank and file coppers were just following orders, and there are almost certainly more decent police officers around than there are bad. But it still left a nasty taste in the mouth, and we knew the Dixon of Dock Green days were well and truly over.
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    That may or may not be the case but, given some of the completely ass-backwards applications of the law which get reported in the media these days, that's not the perception that exists.

Besides, if a cop is struggling with somebody apparently intent on escape, how am I supposed to know what is considered reasonable?
    A kick in the nuts or a punch in the face is almost certainly going to prevent him getting away but is that reasonable or not?

And then what happens if I decide to sit on somebody who's face-down on the floor while a cop gets his 'cuffs out and the guy ends up losing some teeth or gets a broken nose?
    How can I be sure he won't try to get me nicked for assault or take civil action to seek compensation and/or pay for dental/medical treatment?
    I don't have any kind of insurance to cover the cost of such an action.
    Can I expect assistance from the police or the local authorities for my legal fees?

We often hear this, but 50 years ago there was far more corruption in some areas than today, and the procedures in place pretty much gave the Police a free hand to do what they liked.

If things were like they were 50 years ago, the Human Rights people would go into meltdown.
  • Options
    Forum Member

When assisting a constable it's reasonable to assume that the arrest is lawful, so in that respect you wouldn't be subject to any civil action regardless of the circumstances. In addition, a person being found not guilty does not by any means make an arrest unlawful or wrong.

You wouldn't necessarily be expected to go to court as a witness because you wouldn't have to give a statement if you did not wish to do so. And you wouldn't be arrested for obstruction if you were assisting a constable.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I thought they were going to be seriously harmed then I think instinct would probably take over. I don't think I could stand by and watch.
  • Options
    FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes of course I'd help if needed. It would be my civic duty.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    2+2=5 wrote: »

EDIT:

Look at this story:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-29236252

I think it's a duty of every able citizen to do something like this.

That young man did awfully well.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    We often hear this, but 50 years ago there was far more corruption in some areas than today, and the procedures in place pretty much gave the Police a free hand to do what they liked.

If things were like they were 50 years ago, the Human Rights people would go into meltdown.

Oh, I'm sure that is the case. It's people's perception of the current situation that's likely to influence their decision to assist now though.
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I would utilise my martial arts skills and go over to assist. I would initially warn the lawbreaker of my status as a 'walking weapon', then I would relieve the law enforcement officer of his duties for his own safety.
  • Options
    FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I would utilise my martial arts skills and go over to assist. I would initially warn the lawbreaker of my status as a 'walking weapon', then I would relieve the law enforcement officer of his duties for his own safety.

What if the lawbreaker was wearing a luscious UFC 'TapouT' t-shirt and was thus impervious to any attack?
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What if the lawbreaker was wearing a luscious UFC 'TapouT' t-shirt and was thus impervious to any attack?

:D:D:D
  • Options
    Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes if I thought the officer or someone else was in serious danger. Otherwise no, I wouldn't want to risk revenge attacks etc.
  • Options
    Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tylersnan wrote: »
    Well I think that we all use personal experiences as examples, I've helped the police, paramedics etc lots of times but if I thought the police were using bullying tactics I would also speak out for the victim.
    Hmm, it would never occur to me to offer assistance to paramedics, they're not generally in danger and I tend to assume they have a lot more medical knowledge than I do! :confused::blush: I'd help if I spotted an accident and the ambulance hadn't arrived yet though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hmm, it would never occur to me to offer assistance to paramedics, they're not generally in danger and I tend to assume they have a lot more medical knowledge than I do! :confused::blush: I'd help if I spotted an accident and the ambulance hadn't arrived yet though.

A lone paramedic doing CPR would usually be most grateful for any help. In fact two paramedics doing CPR would probably be grateful too as it would allow one of them to focus on other treatments. It's always worth considering helping, just don't get in the way when you ask, and if they say "No" and it seems a little abrupt, don't take it personally, they're trying to work.
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No.
    It's not my job.

I agree. On top of this I'm not trained in the art of restraint. Therefore there is a risk that I may injure myself or others in the process.