Options

trapped wind

Jean_DanielsJean_Daniels Posts: 5,031
Forum Member
anybody else suffer from this if so what do you take for it,ive taken bi carb/windsettlers/and a couple of other meds but nothing seems to work i wake up at least 4 times a week also in the daytime it catches me unawares and is very painful.

Comments

• Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boil the kettle and sip the boiled water as hot as you can manage. Works wonders.
  • Options
    Sansa_SnowSansa_Snow Posts: 1,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to get this a lot but don't seem to any more - I used the fruit flavour Boots version of Rennie which works pretty well. Probably something you are eating, raw onions sometimes gets me.
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Croctacus wrote: »
    Boil the kettle and sip the boiled water as hot as you can manage. Works wonders.

Pour into a mug first :-)
  • Options
    FanielleFanielle Posts: 1,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had horrendous trapped wind episodes after my c section, the first time it happened I actually thought I was dying.

A swig of gripe water and a hot bath helps me immensely. Peppermint tea (bleugh) is also supposed to help. And taking charcoal tablets was advised by my GP
  • Options
    RealityRocksRealityRocks Posts: 4,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get it, as I'm pregnant (don't know why that makes a difference but it seems to!).

Firstly lay on your back and cycle your legs, that gets things moving :D

Avoid windy foods, baked beans, sprouts, fizzy drinks and so on. Drink a mug of hot peppermint tea in the morning (it's really nice!) and try some natural liquorice root or charcoal tablets.

Eat slowly, avoid chewing gum, and snack on prunes (if you like them, I do :) )
  • Options
    indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to get this really badly. The best remedy I have found is to take a long swig of soda water then do a huge burp. Instant relief. I'm not saying this is a cure for everyone but it works every time for me.
  • Options
    MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to get this till I stopped eating wheat products - especially bread.
  • Options
    wildpumpkinwildpumpkin Posts: 1,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mother used to have brandy in hot water......down it in one and that seemed to work.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was it in Wuthering Heights where they cured it in sheep by plunging a spike into their bellies?
  • Options
    planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    after surgery they give you peppermint tea
  • Options
    Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Croctacus wrote: »

Yes, this
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spoon of Andrews salts in some water normally sorts me out, or lying on my back with my legs up flat against the wall sometimes helps it.

You have my sympathy, trapped wind is so painful .