Our Zoo coming soon to BBC1

Comments

• Liz_WLiz_W Posts: 151
    Forum Member
    Such a massive shame it wasn't made clear 'Our Zoo' was suitable for families and shown at an earlier time.🐧
  • henry_hopehenry_hope Posts: 761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its about shareholders and who invests the money for a show...the vested interests.
    They count more than audience ratings. So if the shareholders pulled out ,whatever the ratings, the show folds.

Is it possible the writers didnt want another series?
  • J JJ J Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    Liz_W wrote: »
    Such a massive shame it wasn't made clear 'Our Zoo' was suitable for families and shown at an earlier time.🐧

BBCFirst Australia is showing today a special Christmas Eve marathon of Our Zoo. The complete series starts at 5pm. Perfect family friendly slot for this drama. Pity BBC didn't do something similar in the UK.
  • PretzelPretzel Posts: 7,858
    Forum Member
    henry_hope wrote: »
    Its about shareholders and who invests the money for a show...the vested interests.
    They count more than audience ratings. So if the shareholders pulled out ,whatever the ratings, the show folds.

Is it possible the writers didnt want another series?

That could be the case, or maybe the production company or actor availibility? In truth you never really know why series are not recommissioned. I also wondered if Our Zoo was expensive to make due to the use of the animals.

Either way, they didn't give it a huge amount of support or promotion even whilst it was showing, so perhaps they knew it would be a one off.

Personally, I liked it when it was on, but I'm not that bothered about it not returning. It was pleasant watching but not exactly gripping and I can't see how the story could continue without becoming repetitive.
    Forum Member
    After having read the book 'Our Zoo' by June Mottershead, I feel the story of the founding of Chester Zoo has only been partially told.

It was interesting to read how Mr Mott and his family struggled to get the zoo established and how resourceful they had to be. Also fascinating to read how the family coped and ran the zoo during the War.
  • tonypennystonypennys Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    Pretzel wrote: »
    That could be the case, or maybe the production company or actor availibility? In truth you never really know why series are not recommissioned. I also wondered if Our Zoo was expensive to make due to the use of the animals.

Either way, they didn't give it a huge amount of support or promotion even whilst it was showing, so perhaps they knew it would be a one off.

Personally, I liked it when it was on, but I'm not that bothered about it not returning. It was pleasant watching but not exactly gripping and I can't see how the story could continue without becoming repetitive.

Also the house used at walton gardens in Warrington has had alot of money spend on it as well as an extention built and looks completely different on the inside
    Forum Member
    tonypennys wrote: »
    Also the house used at walton gardens in Warrington has had alot of money spend on it as well as an extention built and looks completely different on the inside

I think only the outside of the house at Walton Gardens was used for filming. I think it was a good alternative to Oakfield Manor, the house the Mottershead family actually did move into in Upton, mid December 1930.

I do wonder, what the Mottersheads first Christmas at Oakfield Manor would have been like? I have visited Chester Zoo and the large house is a stunning red brick building with wooden panelled rooms, ornate fireplaces and stain glass windows. The family got it at real bargain price of only £3000 as it was the depression and many faced bankruptcy . The estate included a stable block, glass conservatory and lodge house at the entrance. June describes in her book 'Our Zoo' how beautiful it was but it was unfurnished, hadn't been lived in for a while and was incredibly cold. The gardens were overgrown with yew and holly...
    Forum Member
    J J wrote: »
    I think only the outside of the house at Walton Gardens was used for filming. I think it was a good alternative to Oakfield Manor, the house the Mottershead family actually did move into in Upton, mid December 1930.

I do wonder, what the Mottersheads first Christmas at Oakfield Manor would have been like? I have visited Chester Zoo and the large house is a stunning red brick building with wooden panelled rooms, ornate fireplaces and stain glass windows. The family got it at real bargain price of only £3000 as it was the depression and many faced bankruptcy . The estate included a stable block, glass conservatory and lodge house at the entrance. June describes in her book 'Our Zoo' how beautiful it was but it was unfurnished, hadn't been lived in for a while and was incredibly cold. The gardens were overgrown with yew and holly...

When the zoo first opened it was open even on Christmas Day even though it often only got a trickle of visitors.
    Forum Member
    I loved reading June Mottershead's book 'Our Zoo'. It was fascinating to read what happened after the series finished. The book finishes when June marries her husband Fred in 1949. I would love for another book to come out that tells us about Chester Zoo and the Mottersheads in the 50s and 60s when it really did begin to rapidly expand and be recognised for being innovative...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Our-Zoo-June-Mottershead/dp/1472226356
  • filmfan7filmfan7 Posts: 3,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBCs decision not to commission a 2nd series is a disgrace ...not only do they score an own goal by putting it on a Wednesday instead of the preffered Sunday ! .this series is so sweet and popular ! ..the BBC chairman should resign ..and shows he and the decision makers havnt a clue at what the Fee paying public want !..so angry ! >:(>:(>:(>:(>:(
  • SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funny thread, I love outrage... outrage for nothing important, it's almost as funny as mock outrage. The story is done and we loved it, but I'm not sure we need a series beyond the struggle to get it open. Well done BBC, let's just hope the outrage doesn't lead to a sub-standard second series that takes us practically nowhere interesting.
    Forum Member
    pork.pie wrote: »
    Funny thread, I love outrage... outrage for nothing important, it's almost as funny as mock outrage. The story is done and we loved it, but I'm not sure we need a series beyond the struggle to get it open. Well done BBC, let's just hope the outrage doesn't lead to a sub-standard second series that takes us practically nowhere interesting.

I think rather than outrage it is genuine disapointment that 'Our Zoo', which was enjoyed by many and great for the whole family, has finished. I disagree that the story is done. There is plenty more to tell and to keep viewers entertained for at least another series. All the material can be found in June Mottershead's book.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,542
    Forum Member
    J J wrote: »
    Sadly, I think you're right.

It wasn't given a fair chance and I'm disappointed it's not continuing.

It was mad scheduling Our Zoo, a family drama based around the tales of a little girl growing up in a zoo, at 9pm. As a result many assumed it would not be suitable for the whole family to enjoy.

Also shown mid week which i cannot understand.

I was hoping it would have been repeated over the Christmas holidays so the many who missed it had a chance to watch.
    Forum Member
    Another reason to bring back Our Zoo...a rare Rothchild giraffe has recently been born at Chester Zoo :)
    http://www.chesterchronicle.co.uk/news/chester-cheshire-news/baby-giraffe-born-chester-zoo-8357287
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think individual letters to the BBC or petitions will have much influence, it is just too easy now to get thousands of signatures on an online petition.

I wrote earlier that the only hope is to get the local MPs involved, still might not work but at least they can get right through to the top people at the BBC. Many years ago I saw how effective this can be when a friend at university wrote to his MP about a BBC issue, it was forwarded to the Chairman of Board of Governors then worked its way down the system so that a few days later the local senior BBC man was at his door.
    Forum Member
    'Our Zoo' had lots of great reviews, so why no more? Here's one...

http://italktelly.com/2014/08/31/i-talk-our-zoo/#more-1416

BBC One’s latest drama is based on a true story, and that is the story of how Chester Zoo came to be. Our Zoo follows the Mottershead family who set up the zoo in the 1930s.

Initially I thought Our Zoo sounded like a Sunday evening drama, which is no bad thing, so was a little surprised when I saw that it was due to air on a Wednesday night instead. But then I watched the first two episodes and what day it aired on became irrelevant because it was a great drama that told a great story, and told it well.

Lee Ingleby, best known for playing Detective Sergeant John Bacchus in Inspector George Gently, gets to play another George in Our Zoo, George Mottershead. Lee puts in a great performance and I’m looking forward to seeing George develop throughout the series.

Having fought in the Great War, George has a dream, realised by the strong connection he has with animals, and that dream is to build a zoo.

His love for animals is deeply seeded in his experiences recuperating from a war wound. And whilst there are times where he is reminded by the horrors he witnessed at war, he follows through with building Chester Zoo, making the impossible seem achievable.

Our Zoo follows George’s inspiring and challenging journey as he moves his wife, two young daughters and parents, into a draughty old stately home in Upton, Chester. Oh, and let’s not forget the monkey, parrot and camel he also brings with him.

George’s wife Lizzie Mottershead is played by the wonderful Liz White (Life On Mars, From There To Here). She is a fiercely strong independent woman who has to support her husband in order to get the zoo off the ground.

She’s given an unexpected freedom that most housewives in the 1930s didn’t have. Using her experiences as a bookkeeper, Lizzie is able to lend a rigour and professionalism to George’s vision.

Together Lizzie and George make one hell of a team, and their youngest daughter, June, is played brilliantly by Honor Kneafsey who recently appeared in Friday Night Dinner and before that Sherlock.

She may be the youngest member of the family, but her contribution to the zoo is pivotal. She’s the one with the imagination and the way Honor portays her makes it very clear that June was a very smart girl who was worldly beyond her years.

The entire Mottershead may not be fully behind George’s idea to build a zoo, but June is, and the excitement she has when her father brings a new animal home is infectious, and undoubtedly keeping the family together. She believes in her dad no matter what and never lets her energy drop. She’s easily my favourite character and it’s brilliant to see it portrayed so well by such a young actress. Im sure Honor Kneafsey will be one to look out for in the future.

June isn’t their only daughter though, there’s also Mew, who is played by Amelia Clarkson (Jane Eyre). She’s an adventurous girl and takes after her grandmother Lucy (Anne Reid, Last Tango In Halifax), especially in the way she doesn’t want to live in a zoo.

At first, Mew feels lonely in Upton, but she soon finds an idol in next door neighbour, Lady Katherine (Sophia Myles, Moonlight) who herself is an exotic misfit in Upton.

As with any new drama, the first episode serves as a ‘getting to know’ episode. We get to know who the Mottershead family are, what their values are, where they came from and what the dynamics are like within the family. So by the time we reach the point of them building Chester Zoo, we feel like we understand how George’s frustrations at living under his parents’ roof has led him there.

At the very end of episode one, George makes a very good point – “Can’t have a zoo without animals.” – which sets up the rest of the drama and as soon as we reach episode two, things really step up a gear in trying to get the zoo open.

The neighbourhood don’t take too well to the Mottershead family and of course we know they plan to open a zoo, but speculation is rife amongst the neighbourhood as to what the family are going to do with Oakfield Manor.

Once they move in, it’s a race against time to get the zoo built and ready for business, for two reasons. One, a derelict plot of land, mounting debts and a campaign from local villagers to halt his plans, which doesn’t help. And two, winter is just around the corner, together with the bailiffs.I’m not usually into my period drama, but this felt different, because it is different. Perhaps for the same reason I enjoy watching Mr Selfridge, Our Zoo tells the true story of a place most of us have visited, Chester Zoo.Getting to learn about how Chester Zoo came to be through drama is both fascinating and entertaining, and in turn makes it more believable and relatable than most period dramas on television.

I’ve only seen the first two episodes, but I can’t wait to see more and learn more about the characters and the struggles they face in their lives. I really hope Our Zoo performs well for the BBC because personally, it’s the best period piece they’ve had on the channel in years. And the first I’ve actually enjoyed in what feels like forever.
  • newyorkcitygirlnewyorkcitygirl Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's disgusting that this show hasn't got a single nomination in tonight's NTA's>:(
  • grazey1985grazey1985 Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's disgusting that this show hasn't got a single nomination in tonight's NTA's>:(

Nothing disgusting about it. Our zoo was long listed in 2 categories (best drama and actor). It didn't get shortlisted as it didn't get enough votes from the public. If it got enough votes from the public it would have been shortlisted
  • RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see The Musketeers has been renewed, despite getting ratings just above the 3 million mark. Our Zoo got higher ratings and against Scott and Bailey. I don't know the Musketeers' AIs but I doubt they were any better than Our Zoo's 88, 89 and 90.

I suspect that because The Musketeers is co-produced by BBC worldwide and Our Zoo isn't may have something to do with it. If that's the case then I wish they would say so rather then give us this "insert name of cancelled show here" type statement. >:(

“We are very proud of Our Zoo and would like to thank all those involved,” the spokesperson said. “However, in order to create room for new shows and to keep increasing the range of BBC One drama we sometimes have to make hard choices and it will not be returning for a second series.”
  • Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly the same statement when The Paradise wasn't renewed. Don't think BBC see this type of drama as what they want these days. World War 1 drama Crimson Field cancelled after 1 series. They can't pursue their equality agenda!
  • RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    Exactly the same statement when The Paradise wasn't renewed. Don't think BBC see this type of drama as what they want these days. World War 1 drama Crimson Field cancelled after 1 series. They can't pursue their equality agenda!

No they don't sadly.

When they unveiled a new set of dramas Ben Stephenson, head of drama commisioning, said this
    Only the BBC supports the range of writers and ideas that these new announcements demonstrate. This massive investment signals the future direction of BBC drama. Once regarded as only the home of traditional period drama, I now believe we are the home of the best writers and the most ambitious modern drama. The point of the BBC is to deliver range and risk above and beyond other UK broadcasters, and I believe the success of our drama offering this year and the announcements we are making today pave the way for an exciting future.

So period drama or cosy is out obviously. I bet he was really happy with that statement when he put it on his presentation to his bosses. This guy has big plans, who cares what the viewers like.^_^
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RoseAnne wrote: »
    No they don't sadly.

When they unveiled a new set of dramas Ben Stephenson, head of drama commisioning, said this

So period drama or cosy is out obviously. I bet he was really happy with that statement when he put it on his presentation to his bosses. This guy has big plans, who cares what the viewers like.^_^

I can't see anything wrong with either 'period' or 'cosy' drama, neither are done well by other channels. There just needs to be a mixture of different types. The types he wants might get critical acclaim and awards from the luvvies but I doubt whether they will get large audiences or large overseas sales.

It all reminds me of BBC Scotland in the past, there were a number of very popular series done in Scotland (mainly the Highlands) but the 'powers that be' seemed to want 'hard-hitting' dramas set in Glasgow tenements and would criticise these popular dramas.
  • grazey1985grazey1985 Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RoseAnne wrote: »
    I see The Musketeers has been renewed, despite getting ratings just above the 3 million mark. Our Zoo got higher ratings and against Scott and Bailey. I don't know the Musketeers' AIs but I doubt they were any better than Our Zoo's 88, 89 and 90.

I suspect that because The Musketeers is co-produced by BBC worldwide and Our Zoo isn't may have something to do with it. If that's the case then I wish they would say so rather then give us this "insert name of cancelled show here" type statement. >:(

“We are very proud of Our Zoo and would like to thank all those involved,” the spokesperson said. “However, in order to create room for new shows and to keep increasing the range of BBC One drama we sometimes have to make hard choices and it will not be returning for a second series.”

It's consolidated figures for musketeers is just under 5 million. It may have gotten just over 3 million but Overnights are less important these days. It's the consolidated figure that matters. It got Roughly the same as our zoo. It's on the wrong day (friday night) plus it's run has been interrupted by rugby twice so far. No surprise the overnights took a hit. Musketeers is a massive financial success abroad. It's a huge money spinner. No surprise it was renewed. Our zoo was partly produced by big talk productions which is now owned by itv. Not all the money went back to the bbc. I can see that being a reason why it wasn't renewed
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,404
    Forum Member
    grazey1985 wrote: »
    Our zoo was partly produced by big talk productions which is now owned by itv. Not all the money went back to the bbc. I can see that being a reason why it wasn't renewed

Same reason McDonalds are stopping using Heinz ketchup.
    Heinz was bought out by mega investor Warren Buffett, and the owners of Burger King.