Recommend me a new car please

wenchwench Posts: 8,928
Forum Member
Ok so the OH and I have split and despite the fact that he gave me my car as a gift, he is now insisting I buy it off him as its his name on the deeds (even though I paid for everything since he gave it to me and even has my own private plates with my name on!!!)

Anyhoo, I've decided to sod him and not buy it and buy my own car instead. This way he'll be lumbered with the tax, MOT and insurance on a second car he doesn't need :D

So I used to drive a Honda CRV automatic which I LOVED.
I love the seating position of 4x4s as I'm a short arse, so I would like something similar but possibly on a smaller scale as the Honda is too expensive to run.

I need something thats not going to cost me an arm and leg in petrol, tax and insurance.

Any ideas please?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hold on. The deed to the house are in your name and he is entitled to a share so legally I would have thought you are entitled to a share in the car. I would check this one out before giving it up so easily. If it was a gift then he can't just take it back the and the fact you have personal number plates on does suggest that is the case. Sounds to me like he is just being bloody nasty now. Does he want your wedding ring back as well?

At the very least he should reimburse you for any services, MOTs etc. Don't give in so easily on this one!!!!! I think the time has come to play a bit dirty, wench.

He can't sell the house without your agreement and his folks want their 90k back. If he wants to play silly buggers two can play that game!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    If the car log book is in your name, it's your car?
  • humdrummerhumdrummer Posts: 4,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of MPV's these days are slightly higher anyway. I am a proper short arse and had a Honda Jazz at one point. Never, ever felt too low and as it's raised slightly above the wheel base it's roomey for its size. Running costs are very reasonable and it drives really well, turning circle is good, visibility for short arses is good and it was extremely reliable.

Down side - it's quite a bit boring.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This would be my response wench. No car, no house hunting - no housing hunting, no house sale - no house sale, no 90k for mum and dad.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Renepoos wrote: »

no, that just means that the person is the current registered "keeper". that document does not suggest "ownership".
  • benjammin316benjammin316 Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    Toyota Celica
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Toyota Celica

they stopped making them quite some time ago :rolleyes:
  • wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    Hold on. The deed to the house are in your name and he is entitled to a share so legally I would have thought you are entitled to a share in the car. I would check this one out before giving it up so easily. If it was a gift then he can't just take it back the and the fact you have personal number plates on does suggest that is the case. Sounds to me like he is just being bloody nasty now. Does he want your wedding ring back as well?

At the very least he should reimburse you for any services, MOTs etc. Don't give in so easily on this one!!!!! I think the time has come to play a bit dirty, wench.

He can't sell the house without your agreement and his folks want their 90k back. If he wants to play silly buggers two can play that game!

Yes deeds to house are in my name but we have a deed of trust in place which entitles him to half a share in the house, but there is nothing in place regards to the car.

Thing is we are not married, so I dont think I am entitled to half the car.
    Yes he got it for me as a gift, he has his own car, I then got personal plates after then last ones were nicked, but the log book is in his name.

He said he would give me the car in exchange for some of the shared furniture but everything runs out in March and I dont want to fork out to reinsure, mot and tax without knowing if I'll definately get the car afterwards. He may turn round and say no, and then I've wasted loads of money for nothing. this is why i think its best I just buy a new one.

And to be honest I dont think I can afford to keep running it anyway, I used to be a named driver on his insurance but now I have to get my own I've discovered its going to cost me an arm and a leg.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wench wrote: »
    but the log book is in his name.

as i said, the name in the log book only refers to the "registered keeper" and not the legal owner.
  • Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My daughter bought a Suzuki Swift lately and its a lovely small , nifty car .It has everything you would want and its a great city car
    Forum Member
    Renepoos wrote: »

Its not :(
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    as i said, the name in the log book only refers to the "registered keeper" and not the legal owner.

He is still registered keeper then. He said he will only sign it over to me when the house is sold, but I cant trust he will keeps his word.
  • rammsteinqueenrammsteinqueen Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A Skoda Fabia vRS. Yes I know the word Skoda can make people shudder but trust me on this one.

I got rid of mine last year - worst thing I ever bloody did but had to get rid as was getting a dog. A big dog.

The vRS is pretty nippy - very nippy in fact. It was doing about 50-55mpg, tax was cheap too for a 1.9 engine..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He is still registered keeper then. He said he will only sign it over to me when the house is sold, but I cant trust he will keeps his word.

for clarification for anyone else wondering this.

my car, for example, my name is on the V5 logbook as the registered keeper.
    however i am not yet the legal owner as the car was bought on finance, so i will not be the legal owner until the final payment is made. until then the legal owner is the finance company.

in your instance, if the car was paid via a shared bank account then some claim could be made with regards to part ownership. if the car was paid via his own personal bank account and his name is on the log book then it would be very difficult prove any rightful entitlement to ownership of the car (receiving as a gift is hard to prove and it in hind sight would have been ideal at the time to have your name on the log book).
    Forum Member
    This would be my response wench. No car, no house hunting - no housing hunting, no house sale - no house sale, no 90k for mum and dad.

I've pM'd you.
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    for clarification for anyone else wondering this.

my car, for example, my name is on the V5 logbook as the registered keeper.
    however i am not yet the legal owner as the car was bought on finance, so i will not be the legal owner until the final payment is made. until then the legal owner is the finance company.

in your instance, if the car was paid via a shared bank account then some claim could be made with regards to part ownership. if the car was paid via his own personal bank account and his name is on the log book then it would be very difficult prove any rightful entitlement to ownership of the car (receiving as a gift is hard to prove and it in hind sight would have been ideal at the time to have your name on the log book).

I think it was the latter, he paid for it initially, and I just paid for the upkeep aftewards.

This is why I think its just best to get my own car.
    Forum Member
    A Skoda Fabia vRS. Yes I know the word Skoda can make people shudder but trust me on this one.

I got rid of mine last year - worst thing I ever bloody did but had to get rid as was getting a dog. A big dog.

The vRS is pretty nippy - very nippy in fact. It was doing about 50-55mpg, tax was cheap too for a 1.9 engine..

Aren't they quite new?

I really need a very cheap second hand car.
    Forum Member
    My daughter bought a Suzuki Swift lately and its a lovely small , nifty car .It has everything you would want and its a great city car

Thanks, I'll have a look
    Forum Member
    humdrummer wrote: »
    A lot of MPV's these days are slightly higher anyway. I am a proper short arse and had a Honda Jazz at one point. Never, ever felt too low and as it's raised slightly above the wheel base it's roomey for its size. Running costs are very reasonable and it drives really well, turning circle is good, visibility for short arses is good and it was extremely reliable.

Down side - it's quite a bit boring.

I dont need anything as large as an MPV, just a wee little thing but one with a high seating position.
    Forum Member
    Are suzuki Vitara any good?
    Its like a mini 4x4 which I like the sound of, and they seem quite cheap for a second hand one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont need anything as large as an MPV, just a wee little thing but one with a high seating position.

I would recommend a Suzuki SX4 :cool:
  • QFourQFour Posts: 555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Toyota Prius .. Absolutely Fab .. Really enjoy driving it and in stealth mode you don't use any fuel. Road tax is however rather expensive at £0 per year. Insurance is cheap. They come in a range of colours and the new pro active cruise control that slows down if the car in front breaks is a dream.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    QFour wrote: »
    Toyota Prius .. Absolutely Fab .. Really enjoy driving it and in stealth mode you don't use any fuel. Road tax is however rather expensive at £0 per year. Insurance is cheap. They come in a range of colours and the new pro active cruise control that slows down if the car in front breaks is a dream.

not as eco as some would like you to believe though.
    the process of making the batteries is very messy indeed and not all environmentally friendly.
    Forum Member
    JoLuc wrote: »
    Buy a 50 cc scooter B*tch

You my ex?? :eek:

you sound as charming as him anyway :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    QFour wrote: »

Problem is the inital outlay, I cant afford a new car, only a really cheap second hand one.