Options

The Leona Lewis Appreciation Thread (Part 49)

Comments

• Options
    LeonagwenLeonagwen Posts: 2,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just listened to her singles, I think I get it. She just doesn't stand out from the rest of the scene. The two singles are generic and if I've heard them on radio I would never guess it's her. She's got beautiful voice but she's just lost in sea of similar artists and songs.

Melanie is very talented and has a great voice.Her problem is mismanagement.See, leona isnt the only one with bad management.
  • Options
    SoeplepelSoeplepel Posts: 24,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Krusty111 wrote: »
    Corrected. :p
    Oh yeah lol, I meant that :p
    Just listened to her singles, I think I get it. She just doesn't stand out from the rest of the scene. The two singles are generic and if I've heard them on radio I would never guess it's her. She's got beautiful voice but she's just lost in sea of similar artists and songs.

I actually love "Don't Fail Me Now" but they shouldn't have used those autotune/vocoders on her voice. She has an amazing voice, she needs other songs that showcases her voice.
    I don't wanna make this a Melanie tread but just look at this performance of Don't Fail Me Now
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIAdk6Cyhgw
    Her voice is good
  • Options
    IluzionistaIluzionista Posts: 5,406
    Forum Member
    Leonagwen wrote: »
    Melanie is very talented and has a great voice.Her problem is mismanagement.See, leona isnt the only one with bad management.

Yeah, she has a good voice, but her songs are just like every other song you can hear on the radio nowadays and for a new artist that's not good. Leona really was blessed with Bleeding Love which was quite unique.
  • Options
    ariella52ariella52 Posts: 7,519
    Forum Member
    Soeplepel wrote: »
    Oh yeah lol, I meant that :p

I actually love "Don't Fail Me Now" but they shouldn't have used those autotune/vocoders on her voice. She has an amazing voice, she needs other songs that showcases her voice.
    I don't wanna make this a Melanie tread but just look at this performance of Don't Fail Me Now
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIAdk6Cyhgw
    Her voice is good

It is, but compare her singing Listen to Alex and I Have Nothing to Leona. Does she bring anything extra? Or even match them ? Vocally and as a performer.

We know how hard it is for Leona to score a hit in this current climate despite( I would argue) an even better voice. Same for Alex.
  • Options
    IluzionistaIluzionista Posts: 5,406
    Forum Member
    ariella52 wrote: »
    It is, but compare her singing Listen to Alex and I Have Nothing to Leona. Does she bring anything extra?

And the video for Don't Fail Me Now :o The scenes when she's not acting... 0 star quality.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ariella52 wrote: »
    It is, but compare her singing Listen to Alex and I Have Nothing to Leona. Does she bring anything extra?

No, but she has more talent than most artists out there and that's what annoys me. The talented singers have to follow the mainstream artists (Nicki Minaj, Ke$ha, ..) just because they have a good beat in their song to they're obligated to follow them to stay up to date with the music. Back in 80's and 90's the talented singers were on top.
  • Options
    ariella52ariella52 Posts: 7,519
    Forum Member
    No, but she has more talent than most artists out there and that's what annoys me. The talented singers have to follow the mainstream artists (Nicki Minaj, Ke$ha, ..) just because they have a good beat in their song to they're obligated to follow them to stay up to date with the music. Back in 80's and 90's the talented singers were on top.

We don't need reminding of that in this thread. :p:D

Let's hope the wheel turns again.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    I think Leona needs to appeal to a younger audience again like she did with Spirit, but I just can't see that happening.

I wouldn't bother with the younger audience. They didn't make up the bulk of Spirit's sales no way. Spirit buyers were the same kind of audience that Adele and Emeli Sande are enjoying now. The adult contemporary market is the place where I see Leona having most success in the future.
  • Options
    spaceoddityspaceoddity Posts: 4,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't bother with the younger audience. They didn't make up the bulk of Spirit's sales no way. Spirit buyers were the same kind of audience that Adele and Emeli Sande are enjoying now. The adult contemporary market is the place where I see Leona having most success in the future.

I disagree, to an extent. Bleeding Love appealed massively to the Radio 1 audience. It was number 1 for 7 weeks I believe, it wasn't the over 30's that made that happen. It was a very "cool" track at the time of release I remember. Young girls like me loved it and I even knew a few guys that loved it. It was nominated for Teen Choice Awards over in the States aswell. I'm not saying it was solely 16-30's that bought the album, but they/we definitely made our contribution to a good chunk of its sales. I sort've agree the AC market is probably where she's headed, with the occasional hit single. Unless things turn around with album 4..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully we get some Leona news this week, I want something else exciting besides getting Tomb Raider.
  • Options
    EnvoirmentEnvoirment Posts: 9,486
    Forum Member
    Leona could easily bring it all back and have success again. She had the songs to do it with Glassheart and I'm pretty sure album 4 will have a bunch of songs that could bring her back to the spotlight. But the way they manage her and the choices of singles ruins it. Luckily she'll have new management with album 4, so I hope that makes a big difference.
  • Options
    leonalewisneweraleonalewisnewera Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    I wonder when will they announce her new management...
  • Options
    megataffmegataff Posts: 882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soulmusic wrote: »
    I understand your anger & frustration. I really had to force myself away from the Leona thread in the XF main forum. Some real idiots posting in there. It is seemingly Ok for Adele because she has a pretty face & is classy. I dare not reply in the main thread whilst I am so angry.
    This made me chuckle soulmusic, I've just watched 'Adele Live at the Royal Albert Hall' and I dunno if you've seen it, but she's got a mouth like a drunken sailor in it....effin and blindin like a good un all the way through it....hardly 'classy' ;)
    Re: Melanie Amaro

She got dropped by her label, just like Astro. (was on XF US same year as her)
    Poor girl, she didn't even had the chance to release her album.
    That's a shame. I was looking forward to getting her album when it came out because she has a great voice too :(
    One thing that struck me watching Adele at the RAH was how many couples there were in the audience. I think Leona's fans are generally fairly fragmented now (my wife came with me to see her at the MEN but is now unfortunately just a bit 'meh' about her...) At Adele's show, there didn't seem many teens there either tbh.
  • Options
    Krusty111Krusty111 Posts: 961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just read DawBell's newsletter which states:
    To celebrate the partnership Leona will be performing an exclusive gig for fans on March 26th, which will also be live-streamed.

So that means fans will be able to actually attend it! (Hope I'm interpreting it correctly lol) More info to follow on TBS's Facebook page.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So that means fans will be able to actually attend it! (Hope I'm interpreting it correctly lol) More info to follow on TBS's Facebook page.

Yeah, seems like you can though.. Ask on TBS facebook page, they reply to questions

but then again.. Wouldn't you be able to buy the tickets already? They haven't mentioned anything
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, seems like you can though.. Ask on TBS facebook page, they reply to questions

but then again.. Wouldn't you be able to buy the tickets already? They haven't mentioned anything

Maybe they'll announce it soon, or it'll be a competition for tickets?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Twitter wars .. gotta love them :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    more info about limited edition
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_iFPn0y93o
  • Options
    Paul_MarsdenPaul_Marsden Posts: 1,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

excellent news, i hope i can go
  • Options
    soulmusicsoulmusic Posts: 2,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    megataff wrote: »
    This made me chuckle soulmusic, I've just watched 'Adele Live at the Royal Albert Hall' and I dunno if you've seen it, but she's got a mouth like a drunken sailor in it....effin and blindin like a good un all the way through it....hardly 'classy' ;).

I didn't manage to go personally, but watched this on TV. I do like Adele, and she is quite funny, but in no way would I say 'classy' lol. Shame your wife has gone off Leona a bit, but perhaps she will reignite her interest again in the future. Nice to see you posting again. Will you be managing to see Leona on the Glassheart tour?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So what are the chances of one of Leona's Royal Albert Hall dates being recorded and released on Blu-ray/DVD near Christmas??

It would tie in nicely with the release of the new album ;)
  • Options
    Eliott1301Eliott1301 Posts: 2,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since we are all to much of Chickens to petition to get Leona to bring out Glassheart

Can we do it for her to go dark brown again?

watching her in 2012 she looks SO fresh.. The blonde is just reminding me of Echo 2009 :P
  • Options
    gelbma0991gelbma0991 Posts: 4,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what are the chances of one of Leona's Royal Albert Hall dates being recorded and released on Blu-ray/DVD near Christmas??

It would tie in nicely with the release of the new album ;)

One can only hope!! I want a new live album, especially with the GH tracks aha :p
    Eliott1301 wrote: »
    Since we are all to much of Chickens to petition to get Leona to bring out Glassheart

Can we do it for her to go dark brown again?

watching her in 2012 she looks SO fresh.. The blonde is just reminding me of Echo 2009 :P

We did try and set up a facebook page, but it kinda fell on it's a**e haha. BUT I'm totally with you on the dark brown, that night she performed Inespetatta (when she first when from having her hair lowlighted to ENTIRELY dark and just appeared ha), or even when she did Collide on Red or Black - her face/hair was so effing hot - perfect makeup and that pin straight hair just made her look like a model. <3 I also love it when she's got BIG dark hair as well, a la Spirit era (Pre-Run) :p

I do like the Blonde occasionally, but only when she has dark extensions underneath (like in the I Got You video - my GOD she looks hot in that)

BY THE WAY

I'm not reading too much into it, but what's with the Shake You Up lyrics game on her fb page? :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gelbma0991 wrote: »

BY THE WAY

I'm not reading too much into it, but what's with the Shake You Up lyrics game on her fb page? :p

It's her third single :)
This discussion has been closed.