Sony buys CSC channels

epsomepsom Posts: 4,684
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This will give Sony many more channels on Satellite/Cable.

http://tbivision.com/news/2014/06/sony-buys-uk-channels-group/294372/

Comments

• omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's a surprising development. The True Movies and kids channels should be a good fit with Sony and hopefuly they'll be improved. I'm not sure what long-term future the music video channels have, that's a crowded and declining market.
  • hmeisterhmeister Posts: 2,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first thing they need to do is sack Stefanie Faleo. But I hope they don't get rid of Scuzz because it's the only proper rock music channel.
  • Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    And they'd better leave them as free to air, Sony TV & Sony Movies are free to view (ie need a Sky card).
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Goodbye Chart Show's music channels. Sony now have very good EPG slots can't see them wanting to do too much with the music channels.

I reckon True Entertainment will become Sony TV 2.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More facts on the deal:

http://www.stockmarketwire.com/article/4836797/Sony-pay-107m-to-acquire-CSC-Media-Group.html

£107 million

100% acquisition

No doubt the bulk of the cost is EPG and Freeview slots since they don't own any major UK TV rights.
  • epsomepsom Posts: 4,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely Sony will bring the AXN brand to the UK now!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epsom wrote: »
    Surely Sony will bring the AXN brand to the UK now!

If Sony have any sense they will dissolve the brands.

Perhaps they could also launch Game Show Network which is a Sony channel?

Sony channels in the UK are not yet HD so really it depends how much they will invest. That said you don't go and throw £107 million on channels if you don't plan on some improvements.

One has to wonder why CSC bought Starz TV recently other than maybe for the EPG slot? This channel surely wouldn't fit with Sony and would probably be one of the first to go?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They now have extra slots to launch Sony Movies HD and Sony TV HD too so this will be very interesting.
  • hmeisterhmeister Posts: 2,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Linkinpark875 seems a bit over excited;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They now have extra slots to launch Sony Movies HD and Sony TV HD too so this will be very interesting.
    Will Sony Movies last as they have been unable to get Virgin to take it!
  • JVDJVD Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I expect some channel closures and replacements next year.

I want AXN , Animax :D
  • beemohbeemoh Posts: 7,073
    Forum Member
    Perhaps they could also launch Game Show Network which is a Sony channel?

Would that be able to compete with Challenge, though?
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am afraid that after nearly 20 years the Chart Show name will disappear one way or another probably into Sony Music TV.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    beemoh wrote: »

Would have to show a different line up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    I am afraid that after nearly 20 years the Chart Show name will disappear one way or another probably into Sony Music TV.

The repeats of the old Chart Show got boring anyway. Like The Box it's it's just another name showing pop videos now nothing unique.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,404
    Forum Member
    And they'd better leave them as free to air, Sony TV & Sony Movies are free to view (ie need a Sky card).

l expect that a majority of those channels will remain free to air not least because Freesat is a growing service. Going behind a Sky paywall does generate some income but it means that far fewer people watch such channels.
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope they replace true entertainment on freeview with Sony tv. I'd also like to see chart show on 24 hours, plus pop girl, kix, and scuzz.....
  • mattybmattyb Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JVD wrote: »
    I expect some channel closures and replacements next year.

I want AXN , Animax :D

Animax is available online, Sony Smart TV's and PS3.

http://www.animaxtv.co.uk
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The repeats of the old Chart Show got boring anyway.

No they didn't, not for me personally anyway. Just like how BBC Four's repeats of Top Of The Pops haven't got boring either.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chart Show repeats never get boring so many years to choose from
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not to mention all the obscure and forgotten videos in them you'd probably never see shown on a music channel otherwise.
  • JVDJVD Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James2001 wrote: »
    Not to mention all the obscure and forgotten videos in them you'd probably never see shown on a music channel otherwise.

They were never really shown in full... on the chart show repeats.
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    beemoh wrote: »
    Would have to show a different line up.

I don’t see how a Game Show Network UK would work. Essentially we already have it in the form of Challenge TV.
    There’s not enough old game shows that aren’t already on Challenge (not enough that anyone would want to watch anyway) to fill a whole other schedule. Unless they aired US game shows, but these traditionally don’t rate well over here.
    steveh31 wrote: »

But the brand disappeared before didn’t it? Couldn’t it make another comeback sometime in the future?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still no word on what they plan on doing with these channels though. I'd like Sony to tell us what they are planning next?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still no word on what they plan on doing with these channels though. I'd like Sony to tell us what they are planning next?
    Deal has only just happened. Patience is needed as I suspect it will be some weeks before Sony's intentions become clear!