AMC channel to launch worldwide later this year.

epsomepsom Posts: 4,684
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Replacing MGM channel in many countries. It the UK (if we are to get it) it would have to replace a CBS channel presumeably.

http://www.c21media.net/amc-reveals-international-launch/?utm_source=C21Media&utm_campaign=bd81fb8bde-&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_3bb765a3f7-bd81fb8bde-292248905

Comments

• ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epsom wrote: »
    Replacing MGM channel in many countries. It the UK (if we are to get it) it would have to replace a CBS channel presumeably.

http://www.c21media.net/amc-reveals-international-launch/?utm_source=C21Media&utm_campaign=bd81fb8bde-&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_3bb765a3f7-bd81fb8bde-292248905

Interesting, I would be surprised if it didn't come to the UK, Halt and Catch Fire hasn't been sold yet which would suggest they are saving it, they also haven't done anything since their purchase of ChelloZone so it makes sense,

Although they wouldn't have to replace a CBS Channel, Reality TV could be replaced.
  • epsomepsom Posts: 4,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ocav wrote: »
    Interesting, I would be surprised if it didn't come to the UK, Halt and Catch Fire hasn't been sold yet which would suggest they are saving it, they also haven't done anything since their purchase of ChelloZone so it makes sense,

Although they wouldn't have to replace a CBS Channel, Reality TV could be replaced.
    Remember they have already said they are bring Sundance Channel to the UK next year.
  • WCLWCL Posts: 316
    Forum Member
    ocav wrote: »

They could also use CBS Reality +1 and Horror +1 aswell.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's interesting. I wonder how the UK rights to The Walking Dead would shape up ?.

I know Fox have often said they have a life-of-series deal for the show which I can't imagine AMC could just basically tear up, but would they be able to have more up to date second run rights than Channel 5 maybe ?
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    That's interesting. I wonder how the UK rights to The Walking Dead would shape up ?.

I know Fox have often said they have a life-of-series deal for the show which I can't imagine AMC could just basically tear up, but would they be able to have more up to date second run rights than Channel 5 maybe ?

Fox International Channels (Who owns Fox UK, formally FX UK)) has the first run (Worldwide - except the USA & Canada)) distribution rights for as long as the series is made.
    The second run rights along with the rest of AMC's original content is distributed by Entertainment One (eOne) Who AMC 11 months ago partnered with for this very reason to have all their rights handled by one outlet going forward.
    So An AMC channel here would be able to 'acquire' the rights from eOne and show it inplace of Channel 5

So if AMC wanted to get out of the FIC deal, they'd have to pay a HUGE sum, that would not be business sense at all to do.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    Fox International Channels (Who owns Fox UK, formally FX UK)) has the first run (Worldwide - except the USA & Canada)) distribution rights for as long as the series is made.
    The second run rights along with the rest of AMC's original content is distributed by Entertainment One (eOne) Who AMC 11 months ago partnered with for this very reason to have all their rights handled by one outlet going forward.
    So An AMC channel here would be able to 'acquire' the rights from eOne and show it inplace of Channel 5

So if AMC wanted to get out of the FIC deal, they'd have to pay a HUGE sum, that would not be business sense at all to do.

Yeah that's basically what i'm thinking with regards to the FIC deal - I think they had the same with regards to Dexter.

Be interesting to see if it launches as a free to air channel as well. Would be a massive boost for freesat with all the potential quality programming they'd have access to.
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's if it launches at all, as it's a replacement for the MGM channel which we don't have in the UK.

http://www.mgmchannel.com/select-your-country/?lang=1

(The MGM channel we used to get was different too, as it was a joint venture between Sky and MGM, not involving AMC/Chellomedia).
  • Yo Omars CominYo Omars Comin Posts: 1,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder what will happen with Mad Mad? It' coming to an end, but it's one of their biggeat shows, will they simply be able to air it alongside Sky Atlantic?

Hopefully it will mean more Brits get to see Breaking Bad.
  • ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder what will happen with Mad Mad? It' coming to an end, but it's one of their biggeat shows, will they simply be able to air it alongside Sky Atlantic?

Hopefully it will mean more Brits get to see Breaking Bad.

Breaking Bad is owned by Sony, and not likely to be sold again, and I'm sure netflix will cling onto the rights as much as they can.

Regards Mad Men, it will likely stay with Sky. AMC only have a small stake holding in the programme (Lionsgate Television have the distribution rights) so it might not be worth it.