Options

Do you agree the show is back on form?

DixonDixon Posts: 12,987
Forum Member
✭✭
I've watched and loved the show from series one.
However, my interest waned during the previous couple of series and i actually switched off a few weeks into the last series.
But this series has got me hooked again :) and that's down to a watchable set of characters.
Loving it,so far!:)

Comments

• Options
    stellersstellers Posts: 916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only started watching 2 years ago so I can't compare it to the earlier series. But this is my favourite series so far.
  • Options
    hownwbrowncowhownwbrowncow Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    I think last year was a really good series, and I'm not actually sure if this series will be able to top it.
  • Options
    sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    Dixon wrote: »
    I've watched and loved the show from series one.
    However, my interest waned during the previous couple of series and i actually switched off a few weeks into the last series.
    But this series has got me hooked again :) and that's down to a watchable set of characters.
    Loving it,so far!:)

I love the show for the hilarity of it (although it isn't nearly as fun as previous series - it now seems so overwhelmingly forced and rehearsed). If by 'watchable' you mean the present set of contestants are total buffoons - I agree with you.

For a semi-serious show about finding a business partner for Mr S - then nothing comes close to series 1 (Ruth Badger from series 2 perhaps notwithstanding). In series 1 you had fairly intelligent people whose personalities added the fun elements (I'm thinking particularly of the brilliant Paul Toresi).
  • Options
    george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    I love the show for the hilarity of it (although it isn't nearly as fun as previous series - it now seems so overwhelmingly forced and rehearsed). If by 'watchable' you mean the present set of contestants are total buffoons - I agree with you.

For a semi-serious show about finding a business partner for Mr S - then nothing comes close to series 1 (Ruth Badger from series 2 perhaps notwithstanding). In series 1 you had fairly intelligent people whose personalities added the fun elements (I'm thinking particularly of the brilliant Paul Toresi).

I find it interesting that you consider Paul to be an example of someone that made Series 1 a semi-serious show. Much as he really did make it memorable, I think he was never going to win. Unpleasant person, sexist, aggressive and in the interviews it came out that he didn't even realise what the point of the show was. He thought he was going to go in and tell Sugar what was wrong with Amstrad.
  • Options
    DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think last year was a really good series, and I'm not actually sure if this series will be able to top it.

Agree last year was excellent mainly thanks to luisa .

This year so so although last night was a little better than the previous two.

The 20 candidates was a mistake as it's taking too long to get to know them all
  • Options
    hownwbrowncowhownwbrowncow Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »
    Agree last year was excellent mainly thanks to luisa .

This year so so although last night was a little better than the previous two.

The 20 candidates was a mistake as it's taking too long to get to know them all

Agreed - double firings are losing their drama as well!
  • Options
    sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    I find it interesting that you consider Paul to be an example of someone that made Series 1 a semi-serious show. Much as he really did make it memorable, I think he was never going to win. Unpleasant person, sexist, aggressive and in the interviews it came out that he didn't even realise what the point of the show was. He thought he was going to go in and tell Sugar what was wrong with Amstrad.

Paul, for me, was the stand-out for fun in the first series (I loved his demonstration of the vacuum cleaner - which of course the QVC people wouldn't let go out).

Of course he was arrogant but he was genuinely funny as well. I much preferred him over the one we were supposed to see as a genuine candidate - James Max (who was only there for the fame factor). Obviously the right person (when it came down to the last few) won - Tim. Although I thought Saira was a fabulous finalist (despite me being annoyed like crazy with her for the first half of that series). I felt they made a huge mistake in getting rid of Miriam too soon - I think had the final been between her and Tim - it would have been a much closer call.

I think what I'm trying to say is that most of them from the first series seemed to have a modicum of intelligence - the ones from this series (and recent series) seem to be genuinely as thick as pig-poo!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Paul, for me, was the stand-out for fun in the first series (I loved his demonstration of the vacuum cleaner - which of course the QVC people wouldn't let go out).

Of course he was arrogant but he was genuinely funny as well. I much preferred him over the one we were supposed to see as a genuine candidate - James Max (who was only there for the fame factor). Obviously the right person (when it came down to the last few) won - Tim. Although I thought Saira was a fabulous finalist (despite me being annoyed like crazy with her for the first half of that series). I felt they made a huge mistake in getting rid of Miriam too soon - I think had the final been between her and Tim - it would have been a much closer call.

I think what I'm trying to say is that most of them from the first series seemed to have a modicum of intelligence - the ones from this series (and recent series) seem to be genuinely as thick as pig-poo!

I think that's just the edit and the way that the show is set up, as most of them have done quite well in their own careers. I think there have been very few candidates over the years that have just been completely foolish (though undoubtedly a few), the process is just insanely difficult. Lindsay said that it looks so much easier on TV than it actually is, and I think she's right.
  • Options
    DixonDixon Posts: 12,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I view the show purely as a piece of light entertainment..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't agree - but only because series 7 and 9 have been among the best, so I don't think it's lost any form to regain.

One thing I do think 10 has reinstated is candidates with very little self-awareness. There's been an increasing sense as you move from S1 to S9 that all the candidates know the drill, know what they're letting themselves in for, and are to an extent learning from the mistakes of former series. The candidates in S10, that's dialled way way down. James has got a brand of cluelessness we haven't really seen since Ben Clarke; the candidates are all rather earnest, again, and that feels refreshing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rwebster wrote: »
    I don't agree - but only because series 7 and 9 have been among the best, so I don't think it's lost any form to regain.

One thing I do think 10 has reinstated is candidates with very little self-awareness. There's been an increasing sense as you move from S1 to S9 that all the candidates know the drill, know what they're letting themselves in for, and are to an extent learning from the mistakes of former series. The candidates in S10, that's dialled way way down. James has got a brand of cluelessness we haven't really seen since Ben Clarke; the candidates are all rather earnest, again, and that feels refreshing.

One thing I found refreshing about Jaz last year is that she said the same silly things to the camera as the others, but she said it in a way that sounded like she knew it was all a big joke really. 'I love being in charge! Telling other people what to do, and having them do it, is my idea of heaven!' Usually the candidates say things like that really deadpan, but Jaz seemed to appreciate the humour in it. It was a shame that she went in the first week - not that she didn't deserve it, because she messed the task up - but I did really like her. Genuinely my favourite last year.
  • Options
    ReservedReserved Posts: 12,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The candidates are much better, but the editing is still very frustrating.
  • Options
    meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,110
    Forum Member
    I think this series has a bit of catching up to do to match last series so far.

I feel like there's just too many candidates this time. Like alot of reality shows, it's trying to do everything at once thinking that's the fast ticket to drama, but it's just stifling it instead.
    When there were 16 candidates there were a few early firings who slipped under the radar who I have major trouble remembering, but this series has made it almost impossible with so many multiple firings.

At the moment I don't find myself rooting for anyone, it's just about who's least annoying. lol
    It's still entertaining so I'll enjoy it for that, but I already find myself looking ahead to when there's less candidates. Right now it's just a huge blur of faces.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's far too early in the series to form any opinion, i am not overly impressed so far and didn't even watch the episode when it was transmitted, i caught it on iplayer earlier today.

The write up in daily mails weekend magazine led me to believe we were in for some massive big twist, all it was in the end was Lindsey practically resigning then rather than actually just say i quit she sits to wait to be told 'you're fired'. She obviously never saw Adele from series 1 ;-)

Two weeks on the trot with a double firing and tbh neither time it has been particularly compelling. I find myself doing other things and having it on in the background a lot of the time.
  • Options
    thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    rwebster wrote: »

Ironically, while some are less self aware because they have little sense, more of them this year actually have been very successful. There's some people in there, just from looking a few up on twitter, or Linkedin, who have already won national awards.

The more damaging cluelessness has been to do with getting use to the mechanics and timetables of the show, plus an expanded first task that saw them, inevitably, run into time constraints, a dodgy second task that was unlikely to produce much of merit , and a third task that was constructed. with a flaw. We almost saw Katie get the strategy all right , and lose to people selling below cost- because the residual stock was not valued in the task rules. And , from that game design flaw , flowed much of the indecision about what price to aim for.
  • Options
    MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been a faithful watcher for about five years, and even watched all the series I missed on youtube. For the first time, I'm bored with the programme and not looking forward to it each week. Before, I've been able to accept it for what it is (entertainment) and just enjoy the drama but this year I'm really irritated by it and the way it suggests that the person who shouts loudest and is willing to do whatever it takes for a sale is the best businessperson. Now that I'm in a serious, professional career myself, all I can think about is how bloody awful it would be to work with these people and how it would be even more awful to work for Sugar.
  • Options
    The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm finding this series far too staged. It almost like LS put in a few plants to cause problems because some of the decisions have been the dumbest ever.

I haven't like the new format of the business partner. I preferred him looking for an apprentice. LS has obviously already read the 20 business cases and knows which ones hes interested in. He will surely not fire anyone no matter how dim they are if they have a great business plan he can make money from. IMO he know the final 2 already and these weeks are just providing the entertainment.

I would say this year is one of the worst so far.

I have no problem with surprise firings (I loved Jenny who got the boot for cheating a few years ago "its my birthday Sir Alan") but to have 20 at the start proves that they are doing it as a gimmick and nothing more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The_abbott wrote: »
    I haven't like the new format of the business partner. I preferred him looking for an apprentice. LS has obviously already read the 20 business cases and knows which ones hes interested in. He will surely not fire anyone no matter how dim they are if they have a great business plan he can make money from. IMO he know the final 2 already and these weeks are just providing the entertainment.

He did specifically state at the start that he has read the outlines, but not the detail of the plans. At this point, they will all be things that he has some level of interest in.
  • Options
    thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    The_abbott wrote: »
    I'm finding this series far too staged. It almost like LS put in a few plants to cause problems because some of the decisions have been the dumbest ever.

I would say this year is one of the worst so far.

I have no problem with surprise firings (I loved Jenny who got the boot for cheating a few years ago "its my birthday Sir Alan") but to have 20 at the start proves that they are doing it as a gimmick and nothing more.

I think this year might produce the strongest set of final offerings - just looking at a few cvs, and who looks smart so far. The first year it seems to have been a late change of prize so few plans were worked up.The next year he had some toxic final offers, and some he didn't think would work. By last year he had two decent plans to choose from - though both posed risks with either the politics or the personality. .This year he has people who have set up businesses and expanded them, and some who come with awards and good qualifications.

His problem is if some look safe and realistic prospects with big potential - but they are in areas he's not shown interest in in the past and will still reject - however good the proposal is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think this year might produce the strongest set of final offerings - just looking at a few cvs, and who looks smart so far. The first year it seems to have been a late change of prize so few plans were worked up.The next year he had some toxic final offers, and some he didn't think would work. By last year he had two decent plans to choose from - though both posed risks with either the politics or the personality. .This year he has people who have set up businesses and expanded them, and some who come with awards and good qualifications.

His problem is if some look safe and realistic prospects with big potential - but they are in areas he's not shown interest in in the past and will still reject - however good the proposal is.

Well, I suppose it depends what the competition is. If it comes down to one of the realistic prospects in an obscure area of which you speak, and the alternatives have flaws in them, Lord Sugar may still decide to branch out into another market.
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm really enjoying it so far and think it's a lot better than the last one :)
  • Options
    chrono88chrono88 Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This series is the greatest trainwreck ever (I started from series 7)
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    chrono88 wrote: »
    This series is the greatest trainwreck ever (I started from series 7)

trainwreck is how I would describe it

the boardroom's have been an absolute mess with the OTT bickering and arguing between the contestants , I cant remember ever having to just mute them as often as I have this year

at the end of tonight's show if she hadn't kept wittering on she might have been safe but her inability to just stfu got her fired
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tonight's task was just too boring to stretch it out over 45 mins
  • Options
    greenyonegreenyone Posts: 3,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've watched every series and this one has got to be scraping the barrel I can't believe most of the candidates were picked for their business sense