Tax Credit Forms, what to expect?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,759
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi,

Not so much a problem just wondering if anybody has claimed Tax Credits and how big are the forms?

The reason i ask is that we phoned them on Monday and told them our circumstances, they told us we could claim and said they would post the forms out to us straight away.

Today we still haven't got them so we rang and told them and they told us (well hubby) it would take "between 10 and 14 days to prepare the pack we send you".

I thought it would just be a form or booklet like when you claim council tax benefit or something, not a special pack. What do they mean by this? Is it made up for you individually and is that why it takes them so long to post it?:confused:

Comments

• sionnaighsionnaigh Posts: 1,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It takes so long purely cos there's lots of people applying. The form isn't overwhelming - there's an explanatory booklet which comes with it if you get stuck (and it's written in easy to understand language which makes a change!). As long as you've got all your income details etc to hand it's fairly straightforward.

It'll probably take some time for them to process - again cos there are a lot of application but it'll get back dated to when they received the form so the quicker you send it back the better.

Good luck.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are very busy at the moment as all the renewal forms have just gone out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The form should take around 10-14 days to reach you and around the same length of time to process once you send it back.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, not as daunting as i was imagining then, thanks for replies :).
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just posting in this thread rather than start another but is anyone else gradually being made worse off with tax credits ??

What has happens with us is I get a slight wage increase at work and think we have a slight relief in the cash front but then when I have to tell IR about it they take the same amount back off us again. You might think "well thats fair as means earnings are the same overal" but everything else is going up in price; food, gas, electric, insurancies, clothes, fuel, etc. so overall we are gradually getting worse off and until the amount I earn gets to the point of I get NO tax credits (which will be a long way off) then the wage rise after this would mean us physically having more money.

I've maybe not explained this right but anyone else in this same situation ??

EDIT: further to this. I have just come off the tax credit website and filled it all in as it should be and we should be getting a LOT more than they have been paying the last few years. Havent a clue what is going on but currently trying to phone them. No doubt there is some reason for it (or they'll make one up) but I cant see what. Our situation is simple. I work, wife doesnt, 2 kids under 5. We dont claim anything else and no disabilities.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi,

Not so much a problem just wondering if anybody has claimed Tax Credits and how big are the forms?

The reason i ask is that we phoned them on Monday and told them our circumstances, they told us we could claim and said they would post the forms out to us straight away.

Today we still haven't got them so we rang and told them and they told us (well hubby) it would take "between 10 and 14 days to prepare the pack we send you".

I thought it would just be a form or booklet like when you claim council tax benefit or something, not a special pack. What do they mean by this? Is it made up for you individually and is that why it takes them so long to post it?:confused:

the first form is quite long and its comes with a booklet that tells you how to fill in each section properly. Quite a large booklet. In fact, less of a booklet and more of a book. Its a pain and you need to find loads of bits of paperwork to go with it. Child benefit numbers, wage slips etc etc.
  • scorpio manscorpio man Posts: 4,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Always been the same with the tax people (and other benefit departments)

Give with one hand, take away with the other, only they always take more than they give.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well we got ours and filled it in, just waiting for an answer now. Why on earth we have to claim it like it is a benefit when they could just not take it in the first place is beyond me.

Strange thing though they asked about last year but not this year, so i am assuming you claim a year behind.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well we got ours and filled it in, just waiting for an answer now. Why on earth we have to claim it like it is a benefit when they could just not take it in the first place is beyond me.

Strange thing though they asked about last year but not this year, so i am assuming you claim a year behind.

They do ask about last years earnings, as long as you don't earn £18,000 more this year they won't claim to have overpaid you.

If you claim childcare benefits you must notify them of any change immediately.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,928
    Forum Member
    conny wrote: »
    They do ask about last years earnings, as long as you don't earn £18,000 more this year they won't claim to have overpaid you.

are you sure?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, well we will not be earning any different as far as i can see this year and we have no kids anyway so all should be okay, just wish they would hurry up and tell us what we are getting, then again, i wont get over-excited hehe.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    are you sure?

Yes. Before the last tax year ended I phoned them to tell them my husband had a promotion and would be earning a total of £7,000 extra per year. It would have meant an extra £3,200 on the previous claim. They told me not to worry and that because I didn't claim childcare that they would only ask for the money back if it were to go over £18,000 in that tax year. Obviously I have put a new claim in now and whilst my tax credits have gone down for this year, they have not asked for any refund of last years benefits.
    Forum Member
    i'm surprised as i thought the amount of increase they disregard before recalculating was in the region of £2,500.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, well we will not be earning any different as far as i can see this year and we have no kids anyway so all should be okay, just wish they would hurry up and tell us what we are getting, then again, i wont get over-excited hehe.

www.entitledto.co.uk is a really good website to check out what you could get.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i'm surprised as i thought the amount of increase they disregard before recalculating was in the region of £2,500.

I have to say I was surprised too, I can only tell you what I have been told.
    Forum Member

looks like i'm well out of date. from this hm revenue & customs documents, it seems the disregard went up from £2,500 to £25,000 in 06/07: http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:U5HaVGk-dfcJ:www.hmrc.gov.uk/budget2006/pn02.htm+tax+credits+disregard+income+increase&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=4&gl=uk
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    looks like i'm well out of date. from this hm revenue & customs documents, it seems the disregard went up from £2,500 to £25,000 in 06/07: http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:U5HaVGk-dfcJ:www.hmrc.gov.uk/budget2006/pn02.htm+tax+credits+disregard+income+increase&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=4&gl=uk

Blimey I did get it wrong didn't I, Well I knew it could be thousands thats some thing:)

Edit: I see what I have done, I took the 7 From the 25 and came up with £18,000
    Forum Member
    Blimey I did get it wrong didn't I

no, you were pretty much spot on in saying don't worry about an increase in income from the previous year unless it's massive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    www.entitledto.co.uk is a really good website to check out what you could get.

Dont get that site. I've chased mine up now and we are entitled to £169/month. According to that site it would be £87/week.

The whole thing with tax credits is a mess. Why i even have to tell them what is on my P60 is beyond me too. They surely already know what I earn ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gillyallan wrote: »
    Dont get that site. I've chased mine up now and we are entitled to £169/month. According to that site it would be £87/week.

The whole thing with tax credits is a mess. Why i even have to tell them what is on my P60 is beyond me too. They surely already know what I earn ?

I have renewed my claim already. Just re checked the site I quoted and it has done my claim to the penny.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have renewed my claim already. Just re checked the site I quoted and it has done my claim to the penny.

I must have done something wrong in it. I dont fancy going through it all again as I wasnt entitled to anything else anyway.