Forcing AV channel?

Hi I have a Sony Bravia TV with one HDMI port at back. I have Virgin Tivo box, a Google Chromecast and a WD TV Media streamer. As I only have one HDMI port on my TV I have a HDMI 3 way splitter which the Tivo box, Chromecast and WD fit into.

A week ago before upgrading to Tivo I had the normal virgin media box and would use AV1 to watch that. The Chromecast and WD were on AV4. This worked fine as by changing the AV channels changed the splitter to the correct device.

On upgrading to the TV box everything now goes to AV4. This causes problem as if I want to use the Chromecast or WD I had to fumble around at back of the TV where the splitter is and manual change the AV by pressing a small button on it. Further, if the TiVo goes into sleep mode this means the Chromecast kicks in and when you turn on TV it is on the Chromecast mode and this annoys the wife as she cannot get her head round the splitter.

After all that, is there a way I can force external devices to use certain AV channels so that my original setup is back in place.

Comments

• nvingonvingo Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    i think in this situation you have two options, both of which cost.
    either
    Change the TV for one with three or more HDMI inputs,
    or
    Change the HDMI switcher for one with remote control over its input selection.
  • Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    I'm assuming your previous virgin box was connected via scart and the new one is connected via HDMI?

If that is the case then everything will be using the AV4 which I'm assuming is HDMI and the input the switch box is connected too.

You could revert back to scart for the TiVo, but you will lose HD programming, or buy a replacement switch box that auto selects - be aware, you can only have one device on at any one time for the HDMI switch to operate correctly.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Duronic-HRS1031-Port-Switch-Remote/dp/B00204IE20
  • nvingonvingo Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    Deacon1972 wrote: »
    ...be aware, you can only have one device on at any one time for the HDMI switch to operate correctly.
    As he has a Chromecast, which will be on whenever it is powered (from the mains adapter or the TV's USB port). autoswitching would not be effective,