Options

Lady Ga Ga chased out of Indonesia by muslim fanatics

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good point and I don't think it needs a seperate thread. The discussion would be relevant here.

Here's a thread I created a while ago about some crazy Christians giving Gaga a hard time...

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1237689&highlight=gaga+westboro

I wasn't scolded by others or made to feel that I should put a disclaimer along the lines of 'Peoples of other Religions are bad too'. Some people are just too sensitive when it comes to Musilm extremists. :(
  • Options
    15Million℃15Million℃ Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which is precisely what the extremists said they would do, hence the cancelling of the concert.

If there were such a strong likelyhood of such a thing happening here in the UK the authorities would withdraw their support for such an event for precisely the same reason.

And to describe her management company as "useless" when the blame for the cancellation lies with a handful of religious extremists is quite remarkable. If she had toned down her show to satisfy the local police, and discussions seem to have been ongoing, these nutters would have still acted the same to get the show cancelled.

and your certain of that how exactly?

The fact she refused to tone it down or accept any pre-conditions (like she has done at previous shows) means some of the blame lays with her/her team.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and your certain of that how exactly?

The fact she refused to tone it down or accept any pre-conditions (like she has done at previous shows) means some of the blame lays with her/her team.

I'm still not sure where you are getting the idea that she did?
  • Options
    Pet1986Pet1986 Posts: 7,701
    Forum Member
    Voynich wrote: »
    Here's a thread I created a while ago about some crazy Christians giving Gaga a hard time...

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1237689&highlight=gaga+westboro

I wasn't scolded by others or made to feel that I should put a disclaimer along the lines of 'Peoples of other Religions are bad too'. Some people are just too sensitive when it comes to Musilm extremists. :(

But then your everyday muslim posting here such as myself or 2+2 and others arent battered by the anti muslim brigade into explaining and justifying every aspect of our religion, told we arent true muslims because we dont want to kill infadels, are told we arent real muslims because we arent anti gay etc are told our opinions arent valid and only the extremists and their rants & behaviour are, that 2+2 and myself arent a cross section of modern muslims only the extremists are, and we secretly (and most of the muslims in the uk) secretly support the extemists, are told we are to blame for housing/the recession/ someone who hasnt had a job since they left school 10yrs ago being unable to get one/etc etc etc:rolleyes: ALL of those things and more have been said to me on this board more than once so excuse us if we are plain bored of it and "sensitive" to it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lizzy11268 wrote: »
    I'm still not sure where you are getting the idea that she did?

Which part are you not sure of Lizzy?

That she refused to tone it down?
    Police responded by denying the necessary permits. Then, after public outcry, they said they'd reconsider - but only if Lady Gaga agreed to tone down her act.

Instead, she pulled the plug on what was supposed to be the biggest stop on her Asian tour.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/why-jakartas-islamists-had-lady-gagas-concerts-cancelled/story-e6frg6so-1226369071880
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ah thanks yes that was what I couldnt see. So its very vague then. They could have said she could only come if she simply stood at the microphone and sung the songs in which case I would have refused as well because with Ga Ga its all about the performance and the show.

Or possibly they didnt want much at all. We'll never know.

I'm guessing Jamie Cullum could pop over there and do a concert no problem.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah thanks yes that was what I couldnt see. So its very vague then. They could have said she could only come if she simply stood at the microphone and sung the songs in which case I would have refused as well because with Ga Ga its all about the performance and the show.

Or possibly they didnt want much at all. We'll never know.

I'm guessing Jamie Cullum could pop over there and do a concert no problem.

Seems pretty clear to me.

Anyway let's put it into perspective, because I reckon there is more to this than has been reported ;)
    Pop stars such as Katy Perry, Kylie Minogue and Justin Bieber have held concerts in Jakarta in the past year without incident.

Why, even Elton John is performing there later in the year. :D

http://www.timeslive.co.za/entertainment/celebrity/2012/05/28/lady-gaga-apologises-for-cancelled-indonesia-show
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems pretty clear to me.

Anyway let's put it into perspective, because I reckon there is more to this than has been reported ;)

http://www.timeslive.co.za/entertainment/celebrity/2012/05/28/lady-gaga-apologises-for-cancelled-indonesia-show

They would have been the ones being issued with death threats if they had dissed the bieber ;)

Kylie Minogue is quite sexy in her performances, guess she would have had to tone it down.

Can't see Katy Perry toning anything down but she's pretty poppy.

Tbh I'm not sure what their objection to Ga Ga is really. Any clue on that? I mean yeah she's a bit raunchy, but she's only a bit edgy. Anything specific that you know of?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They would have been the ones being issued with death threats if they had dissed the bieber ;)

Kylie Minogue is quite sexy in her performances, guess she would have had to tone it down.

Can't see Katy Perry toning anything down but she's pretty poppy.

Tbh I'm not sure what their objection to Ga Ga is really. Any clue on that? I mean yeah she's a bit raunchy, but she's only a bit edgy. Anything specific that you know of?

Lyrics and dress it seems.

On a side note, there do seem to be a lot of comments on this thread, yet some arnt even sure what they are commenting on :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lyrics it seems.

On a side note, there do seem to be a lot of comments on this thread, yet some arnt even sure what they are commenting on :D

I am assuming in that case that Katy Perry did NOT perform her well known song "I kissed a girl and I like it" :D

I only know Ga Ga for one song which I loved.

My musical tastes run more to Meatloaf, Daughtry and Jack Ingram really. Meatloaf and Daughtry might have an issue trying to perform there, but Jack would be ok :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am assuming in that case that Katy Perry did NOT perform her well known song "I kissed a girl and I like it" :D

I only know Ga Ga for one song which I loved.

My musical tastes run more to Meatloaf, Daughtry and Jack Ingram really. Meatloaf and Daughtry might have an issue trying to perform there, but Jack would be ok :D

I slightly edited my post. Your always way to quick to reply :eek::D

Lyrics and dress it may be down to.
    In the past, pop stars including Beyonce and the Pussycat Dolls have been allowed to perform in the country on condition they wore more conservative dress than usual.

Not sure how they would enforce a lyric change. Bleep out certain words on a live performance. Now that would be amusing.

So taking into account past performers, some of the critisim bandied out to the country is a little unfair. Some of these performers are usually way raunchier than the Lady, so just leads me to beleive there was more to this than we know.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I slightly edited my post. Your always way to quick to reply :eek::D

Lyrics and dress it may be down to.

Not sure how they would enforce a lyric change. Bleep out certain words on a live performance. Now that would be amusing.

So taking into account past performers, some of the critisim bandied out to the country is a little unfair. Some of these performers are usually way raunchier than the Lady, so just leads me to beleive there was more to this than we know.

Always is.

She DOES dress very provocatively generally but I quite like it personally. Not for everyone.

As for lyrics you can always amend words slightly, although I'm against that sort of censure so glad it doesnt happen over here.
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As an example : those trying to stop the equal marriage act. We are supposed to be a country of equality yet these people want us to become intolerant of gay people and/or restrict their rights, rather than moving to a country that already has restriction on their rights.

Those that would like to see sharia law imposed in their communities - few as they are, you don't see these people moving to a country that already has sharia law.

It doesnt matter if these people were born here or not, whether they hold religious views or not, I am referring to your point that they have the choice to move to a more intolerant country as people who live in a more intolerant one can move here. I'm saying mostly they don't - they just try and make us fit in with them.

I hope that makes sense. I'm not always good at putting whats in my head onto my post :D

IMO It was perfectly clear in the first place Lizzy.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know much about Gaga, by choice, does she do some x-rated stage stuff?
    She's been banned from the Yankee's clubhouse for being drunk & fondling her tits. There are countries where she'd be in jail for as much.
    What is her message anyway? Does she have something worthwhile or is it about breaking taboo's?:yawn:
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fizgig wrote: »
    I don't know much about Gaga, by choice, does she do some x-rated stage stuff?
    She's been banned from the Yankee's clubhouse for being drunk & fondling her tits. There are countries where she'd be in jail for as much.
    What is her message anyway? Does she have something worthwhile or is it about breaking taboo's?:yawn:

You say that like it's a virtue.

Anyway, I'm all in favor of breaking taboos, so more power to her.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    You say that like it's a virtue.

Anyway, I'm all in favor of breaking taboos, so more power to her.

Yeah great, maybe one day all women can fondle themselves in public, well done Gaga.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fizgig wrote: »
    Yeah great, maybe all women can fondle themselves in public, well done Gaga.:rolleyes:

Did I say that?
  • Options
    The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    So you suggesting that her management had NO idea at all that they would face protests? Pet is spot on here. Your obviously not prepared to accept the possibility they knew before hand. If they didn't, then they need to be sacked. Putting poor Ga Ga in such a situation.
    What I was suggesting was there was no chance of them booking the event with no expectation of it going ahead, the idea that the management of someone so high level would do something so monumentally stupid is just ridiculous.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I was suggesting was there was no chance of them booking the event with no expectation of it going ahead, the idea that the management of someone so high level would do something so monumentally stupid is just ridiculous.

Well I never said different but some managers are a bit dim. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sutie wrote: »
    IMO It was perfectly clear in the first place Lizzy.:)

Thank you :)
    Well I never said different but some managers are a bit dim. :D

I used to be a manager. Says it all really :cool:
  • Options
    JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    Why should Lady GaGa tone her act down to suit anyone.She is an international artist and if they cant hack it then they dont deserve her doing a concert there.She is mega rich and doesnt need to perform in countries that are backward.
  • Options
    McdigestiveMcdigestive Posts: 830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's a really nice girl at heart. Being a fan from the beginning i'd know but it's a shame that's never projected.
  • Options
    2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Armi wrote: »

Sad story - for her and her fans. You don't need to be a fan of hers to recognise that.

I'm impressed at how annoyed she seems that she couldn't do the concert. It shows she cares. I like that. There's more to her than meets the eye.

As for the protestors, they really give Muslims a bad name. But I certainly don't recognise them as having the attitude and temprement I think a Muslim is supposed to have.

Maybe she'll be able to go back one day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2+2=5 wrote: »
    Sad story - for her and her fans. You don't need to be a fan of hers to recognise that.

I'm impressed at how annoyed she seems that she couldn't do the concert. It shows she cares. I like that. There's more to her than meets the eye.

As for the protestors, they really give Muslims a bad name. But I certainly don't recognise them as having the attitude and temprement I think a Muslim is supposed to have.

Maybe she'll be able to go back one day.

Be nice if she could. Then all those fans can finally get to go to their concert :)