Options

Being Harassed on the Street

2»

Comments

• Options
    wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    rozafa wrote: »
    I never get stopped by chuggers. They all ignore me. Maybe they can tell that I was a chugger for about a week years ago. So I know it is all a con.

I do give to charity but never to street collectors.

Apparently the Chinese and Asians are known for never giving money to chuggers or charity and so they all ignore me and dont bother because they assume I wont donate anyway.

Fine by me!!
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went into Sheffield City Centre yesterday and I am not kidding I must have been approached by 20 different sales people, charity collectors and big issue guys.

For Gods sake is it not your right to be able to walk through town without being approached by somebody wanting to get some of your hard earned.

I got that fed up of fending them off and being polite yet still being subjected to their dribble in the end I just ignored one of the Big Isue guys. Im not sure what he said to me initially because as usual it made no sense and did not appear to even be a word. I carried on walking and he said cockily "take it you don't then"

Then today I went to the local retail park and they were loitering outside W H Smith trying to get you to dig deep and buy whatever fantastic product they had on offer, even inside WH Smith! I needed to buy some stationary from Smiths but those lot put me off going in! So Smiths have lost business through it.

It must sound petty and like I have nothing else in my life but I find being approached by strangers in the street trying to sell me things quite uncomfortable.

20 is a hell of a lot.

I don't like being approached by anybody in the street either. What I do find slightly perturbing sometimes is that they will ask several people who proceed to walk by, and then ignore me.

Maybe I'm not worth asking :(
  • Options
    Loz_FraggleLoz_Fraggle Posts: 5,759
    Forum Member
    calamity wrote: »
    Surely him coming into your garden is like walking in your front door. its cheek..

Yes, I couldn't believe it, I also felt very vulnerable, as he wouldn't go away.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oooooh don't get me started on this in WH Smiths!

Don't get me started on WH Smiths either.

They're oh so "sorry sir it's 5p for a carrier bag despite you having just spent £10 on magazines we appreciate how hard it will be for you to manipulate your baked potato and drink as well as your magazines but IT'S SAVING THE FRIGGING PLANET"; yet for every transaction they try and force a load of vouchers on you.

Every WH Smiths transaction on one hand they are wasting paper giving out vouchers that hardly anyone uses; whilst on the other hand they are banging on about saving the frigging planet by charging for carrier bags.
  • Options
    PlausibleDenialPlausibleDenial Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went into Sheffield City Centre yesterday and I am not kidding I must have been approached by 20 different sales people, charity collectors and big issue guys.

For Gods sake is it not your right to be able to walk through town without being approached by somebody wanting to get some of your hard earned.

I got that fed up of fending them off and being polite yet still being subjected to their dribble in the end I just ignored one of the Big Isue guys. Im not sure what he said to me initially because as usual it made no sense and did not appear to even be a word. I carried on walking and he said cockily "take it you don't then"

Then today I went to the local retail park and they were loitering outside W H Smith trying to get you to dig deep and buy whatever fantastic product they had on offer, even inside WH Smith! I needed to buy some stationary from Smiths but those lot put me off going in! So Smiths have lost business through it.

It must sound petty and like I have nothing else in my life but I find being approached by strangers in the street trying to sell me things quite uncomfortable.

I hate them theres a twitter campaign apparently

@notochugging which has a facebook campaign http://tiny.cc/Chugging

'Charity Fundraiser' is I think the wrong term for them, they're just sales reps. They're the modern day timeshare salesmen or double glazing salesmen! (although at least they were honest in what they were doing and not ripping off a charity for a years worth of income!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oooooh don't get me started on this in WH Smiths! It happens at my local branch as well and its just not on imo. They are usually selling phones or heating or something, and they must have permission from the company if they are just outside or sometimes inside the doors.

They wait and stop every single person who purchases something and walks out of the doors, stepping in front of them and asking in their best, patronising, fake salesman voice "can I ask if you have a landline at home?" They do it to everyone, elderly people down to teenagers who probably still live with their rents:rolleyes:

Like I said its not on, and Smiths are condoning harrasment by allowing this to go on in their stores.

yeah whats happening with smiths nowadays? I hate it. Its really bad customer service to get approached by random scum like that. The one in brent cross has people selling Wills right by the front door badgering the elderly. Its disgusting, they sohuld be ashamed of themselves!
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You need a human shield. If you're walking down a street and you can see them in time, you can quickly scan round for someone else walking in the same direction but on the side of you that's closest to them. Then just match their pace. They'll find it very difficult to get to you with them in the way.

That's my technique anyway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,418
    Forum Member
    rozafa wrote: »
    I never get stopped by chuggers. They all ignore me. Maybe they can tell that I was a chugger for about a week years ago. So I know it is all a con.

I do give to charity but never to street collectors.

I've wondered this too!

I went to an interview/presentation about the job, but I changed my mind after seeing how it all works. I rarely get stopped, maybe they can detect the look of disgust on my face when I see them harrassing innocent passers-by?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    solarflare wrote: »
    You need a human shield. If you're walking down a street and you can see them in time, you can quickly scan round for someone else walking in the same direction but on the side of you that's closest to them. Then just match their pace. They'll find it very difficult to get to you with them in the way.

That's my technique anyway.

liking the technique!