Options

Record petrol prices - where are the protests ?

onecitizenonecitizen Posts: 5,042
Forum Member
http://www.admiral.com/newsArticles/4585/Petrol-prices-'shoot-up'-to-record-high

Where is the right wing newspaper outrage we saw when petrol prices went up prior to the coalition government taking power.
And I remember the motorway go slows and protests a few years ago.
Early next year will see more petrol price increases with the VAT tax increases and fuel tax increase.
I wonder if that will see the start of further protests next year.:confused:

Comments

• Options
    John146John146 Posts: 12,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    onecitizen wrote: »
    http://www.admiral.com/newsArticles/4585/Petrol-prices-'shoot-up'-to-record-high

Where is the right wing newspaper outrage we saw when petrol prices went up prior to the coalition government taking power.
    And I remember the motorway go slows and protests a few years ago.
    Early next year will see more petrol price increases with the VAT tax increases and fuel tax increase.
    I wonder if that will see the start of further protests next year.:confused:

I understand that the fuel protests that we had are now illegal, and, who in there right mind wants to deprive themselves of fuel for their car?
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't one of the ringleaders of the 2000 protests become a Tory member of the Welsh parliament?

EDIT: Ah, yes, here's the fella...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brynle_Williams

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    John146 wrote: »
    I understand that the fuel protests that we had are now illegal, and, who in there right mind wants to deprive themselves of fuel for their car?

In what way are the protests now illegal ?
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    The fuel protests were by a bunch of right whingers attacking the Labour government, even though it was the Tories who introduced the Fuel Price Escalator. They're not going to complain about nice David and George (with little Nick) in case they cause problems and get another Labour government.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Didn't one of the ringleaders of the 2000 protests become a Tory member of the Welsh parliament?

Interesting, I remember the Labour government being accussed of being anti-motorist when the cost of petrol was less than it is now.
    What does that make the Tory led coalition then ?
  • Options
    John146John146 Posts: 12,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In what way are the protests now illegal ?

Paragraph 2 of this link does say protests are illegal, but with no explanation

http://www.roadtransport.com/static-pages/standard/fuel-protests/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm amazed nobody has said anything.

I remember the big hoohaa when the price got near £1 per gallon!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    Derv £1.30 here!!!

It's no surprise to me that the farmers and truckers (part of the Tory militant tendency) are noticeable by their silence.

With this lot in power the farmers and truckers will be treated with kid gloves and liable to get concessions whilst the students will get water canon'd.

The Tories are well into politicising the police force - echoes of the miner's strike.

We're all in this together.
  • Options
    TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member
    The fuel protests were by a bunch of right whingers attacking the Labour government,

Well they certainly had some thing to whinge about, possibly even outright cause for complaint! :D
  • Options
    MacLovinMacLovin Posts: 2,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's face it, we're kind of spineless in this country.

Sure we like to moan about things and vent our anger on internet forums but thats about it really.

Oh, I'm pretty sure the government know just how spineless we are.
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's some balance, because everyone else is going for the "evil nasty Tories" approach:

How much of the price rise is due to the rise in the price of oil, and not due to tax?

Obviously, the protests in 2000 were due to the fuel duty escalator. But is the present price increase due to the same?
  • Options
    Bea*Bea* Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    MacLovin wrote: »
    Let's face it, we're kind of spineless in this country.

Sure we like to moan about things and vent our anger on internet forums but thats about it really.

Oh, I'm pretty sure the government know just how spineless we are.

Did you miss the students protests last week?! I think the government are realising that people are waking up.
  • Options
    Turnbull2000Turnbull2000 Posts: 7,588
    Forum Member
    Are prices really that bad? I'd like to see petrol adjusted for inflation.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only the students have any fight left in them - the rest of us just lie down and take it :)
  • Options
    MacLovinMacLovin Posts: 2,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bea* wrote: »
    Did you miss the students protests last week?! I think the government are realising that people are waking up.

The government are turning the students into super criminals and as expected more and more of those who said 'good on the students' are now starting to swallow the government spin that the students are no more than scummy criminals.

Time will tell if the people of this country will grow a backbone or simply sit back and take whatever is thrown at us.
  • Options
    I love EllieI love Ellie Posts: 8,009
    Forum Member
    Don't the farmers get red diesel to fuel their vehicles, at a fraction of the cost of consumer diesel at the pumps?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    moox wrote: »
    Here's some balance, because everyone else is going for the "evil nasty Tories" approach:

How much of the price rise is due to the rise in the price of oil, and not due to tax?

Obviously, the protests in 2000 were due to the fuel duty escalator. But is the present price increase due to the same?

The Fuel Price Escalator is a tory tax which was continued under Labour.
    The Tories are not going to scrap it, so a large proportion of the price of petrol is stll be down to tax.
    And the tory increase in VAT due in January will make things worse.
  • Options
    VellumVellum Posts: 6,825
    Forum Member
    Another inflation rise today on the Govt measure by 0.1%, on the non Govt measure which I believe is how it used to be measured in the 70s etc which includes mortgages its risen from 4.5% to 4.8%

Petrol Prices and food up, food is what hits people, will we end up at 1970s rates again?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Vellum wrote: »
    Another inflation rise today on the Govt measure by 0.1%, on the non Govt measure which I believe is how it used to be measured in the 70s etc which includes mortgages its risen from 4.5% to 4.8%

Petrol Prices and food up, food is what hits people, will we end up at 1970s rates again?

That could be a possibility, especially with the increase in VAT which is going to hit a lot of people very hard.
    Mainly less well paid people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Fuel Price Escalator is a tory tax which was continued under Labour.
    The Tories are not going to scrap it, so a large proportion of the price of petrol is stll be down to tax.
    And the tory increase in VAT due in January will make things worse.

That is not what I said.

I wanted to know whether the "record" petrol prices were due to an increase in oil prices, or an increase in tax.

The protests under Labour were due to the tax system. Why would people protest and lobby the government who has no control over oil prices?
  • Options
    trunkstertrunkster Posts: 14,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is not what I said.

I wanted to know whether the "record" petrol prices were due to an increase in oil prices, or an increase in tax.

The protests under Labour were due to the tax system. Why would people protest and lobby the government who has no control over oil prices?

Exactly, it's just left wing moaning, trying to draw stupid comparisons with the work shy over funded part time lay about students enjoying a bit cop bashing and establishment trashing last week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That is not what I said.

Yes but it was a tax system which the Tories introduced and continue with.
    If they wanted to help the motorist they could do something about the tax regime.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    trunkster wrote: »
    Exactly, it's just left wing moaning, trying to draw stupid comparisons with the work shy over funded part time lay about students enjoying a bit cop bashing and establishment trashing last week.

The petrol price protests were ten years ago and had nothing to do with students.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they wanted to help the motorist they could do something about the tax regime.

Missing the point.

You seem to be concentrating on tax, when the rise in the cost of petrol may actually be due to oil prices.

There is no way that fuel duty is going to be touched, especially at a time when the government needs all the money it can get.
  • Options
    trunkstertrunkster Posts: 14,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And where do you think the tax raised from petrol sales goes to?