Options

Which are the easiest laptops to downgrade to XP?

carnivalistcarnivalist Posts: 4,565
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've already asked for help in choosing a laptop that can be set to record audio streams with Vista/Windows 7 here.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=46563322#post46563322

However as I have an XP disk I was wondering which laptops could be easily downgraded. It is fiendishly difficult/impossible to do with a Compaq CQ60.

In addition, is it possible to set up dual boot with XP and Vista/Windows 7?

Comments

• Options
    LoobsterLoobster Posts: 11,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    a) as I have an XP disk

b) I was wondering which laptops could be easily downgraded.

c) In addition, is it possible to set up dual boot with XP and Vista/Windows 7?

a) Just because "you have an XP disk" doesn't mean that you can use it to legitimately install XP to another computer. You likely have an 'OEM' disk/key which are not transferable.

b) The best way to tell is to visit the manufaturer's website of a laptop you like the look of, and see if there are XP drivers available for it. If you find drivers, most importantly including a 'chipset' driver, then the chances are you will be ok. Just be aware that all new computers are designed for Windows 7, and not XP.

c) It is reasonably simple, but it's most simple if you install XP first, then install Vista or 7 later. It would also be best practice to have completely seperate partitions for each OS.
  • Options
    s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    Without meaning to be negative, that is the worst type of laptop to be trying to downgrade. Your chances of finding suitable drivers are slim even if you went scavenging for individual components. Reason being it is a "home" laptop and will have been built around whatever OS it ships with.

If you really need to run XP natively your only real option is a business-grade laptop, as they are the ones that have the support available.
  • Options
    Fred SmithFred Smith Posts: 3,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    However as I have an XP disk I was wondering which laptops could be easily downgraded. It is fiendishly difficult/impossible to do with a Compaq CQ60.

Is it? I found all the drivers required via the HP forums when I bought mine last year with Vista Basic on it, so soon installed XP Home and W7 HP dual boot, now it W7 only.
  • Options
    pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    Not necessary.
    You can run xp mode or simply run another virtualization app like virtual box vmware if you really need xp.
    Any decent laptop has enough power to do this.
    At this point there is no real reason to use xp anymore on new hardware.
  • Options
    YorkshireTeaYorkshireTea Posts: 1,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oops!!!!!!!
  • Options
    chiller15chiller15 Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    XP drivers are becoming increasingly harder to find from manufacturers, especially laptops made within the past 12 months.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,304
    Forum Member
    Shouldn't really be a problem, just look up the configuration under the bonnet and go to the component manufacturers. XP not dead yet.
  • Options
    Alan FAlan F Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Question. Why do you want to downgrade a new computer to XP?

Just because you have the disk does not seem to be a good reason. I have one for Win95 but I am not tempted.
  • Options
    thorvertonianthorvertonian Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Use Audacity, I run it on Windows 7 and does everything you are after (I have a USB turntable for vinyl "archiving")
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loobster wrote: »
    a) Just because "you have an XP disk" doesn't mean that you can use it to legitimately install XP to another computer. You likely have an 'OEM' disk/key which are not transferable..

No - I meant I have an XP disk which I bought but never used.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Laptops running Vista :p
  • Options
    Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hear the machines that run SnowLeopard are worth upgrading to XP :p
  • Options
    pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member

Yea vista was a pain.

But win 7 flies on pretty low end hardware. My friend had a pentium 4 d he used as a htpc with win 7, it was snappy....and it had an old 80GB harddrive. But yes i've seen laptops with vista that were built when vista ready was a horrible lie.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I hear the machines that run SnowLeopard are worth upgrading to XP :p

My beloved Mac isn't :p I'm quite happy with Snow Leopard :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You're not wrong - my mother actually threw hers on the floor in frustration.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You're not wrong - my mother actually threw hers on the floor in frustration.

I'm not surprised! Did she get a new laptop after that or what did she do? I know several people who have downgraded back to XP or upgraded to W7.
  • Options
    IgniteIgnite Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My 5 year old Acer laptop is running faster with Windows 7 than it ever ran with XP. Boot time is faster, application load time is faster. It just works a lot better than XP ever did. This is with a clean install of both OSes and the minimum Acer bloatware needed to get the laptop to function.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alan F wrote: »
    Question. Why do you want to downgrade a new computer to XP?

Just because you have the disk does not seem to be a good reason. I have one for Win95 but I am not tempted.

I thought it would not take long for some numpty to come along and start condemning XP.

People seem to forget that Windows XP set the standard for Operating Systems, and is still a workhorse in businesses.

I will continue to use XP, probably until 2014 when its officially declared dead by MS.
  • Options
    Alan FAlan F Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AJXX wrote: »
    I thought it would not take long for some numpty to come along and start condemning XP.

This 'numpty' is not condemming XP. It was a fine OS and long may it survive.

The point is that a new laptop will have Win7 installed and I can see no good reason for a home user to downgrade to XP.
  • Options
    TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member
    No - I meant I have an XP disk which I bought but never used.

You might well get £25 for this on Ebay. There is still quite a demand for XP out there!