Folk who have been married more than thirty years...

Comments

• sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm getting married next month and I'm really looking forward to us growing old together. We are a very physical couple, we enjoy lots of sex but I know this might not last forever. Even so I have a huge amount of love, trust, respect and devotion to him. I look forward to holding his hand and standing side by side as we journey through our lives together as one
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    I've only been married for 25 years so I'm probably not qualified to comment on this post;-) But, as with anyone, our relationship has run the gauntlet of highs and lows. We have always been affectionate, and I actually think the closeness grows because you have experienced, and got through, so many challenging situations. I honestly love my husband more today than the day I married him.
  • kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    Golly Gosh.Was that written by my Granddaughter?

Considering my nan asks me too googley something for her and my grandad is the biggest technophobe ever, it's unlikely :D:)
  • gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hank1234 wrote: »
    My parent's have been married 40 years and they don't even share the same bed anymore

I kind of get that though if your partner snores or sleeps at different times to you sometimes it is separate bedrooms for your own sanity. Just because it is separate beds doesn't mean no intimate time.

I think you have got to keep the fire burning and make sure things remain as pleasurable as possible for each party. If it is the same sex time and time again with no variety it can get very boring. Each person needs to try and satisfy the needs of the other as best they can whether your 23 or 63.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kitty86 wrote: »
    Considering my nan asks me too googley something for her

What? A cricket ball?:D
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doesn't the intimate side of things get a bit dull ?

No.....................................
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sarahj1986 wrote: »
    I'm getting married next month and I'm really looking forward to us growing old together. We are a very physical couple, we enjoy lots of sex but I know this might not last forever. Even so I have a huge amount of love, trust, respect and devotion to him. I look forward to holding his hand and standing side by side as we journey through our lives together as one

Congratulations to you hope you both have many happy years together.
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,833
    Forum Member
    benjamini wrote: »
    Just occasionally I wish there was a like button :)

Well thank you benji.

I would add that when you find the right person love grows it does not fade away. I guess I have been very lucky to find someone who can put up with my failings. I try to never let her feel she is anything but the most important thing in my life though.

Plus I keep her trainers locked away so she cannot do a runner. :D if the esteem stuff does not work.
  • kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    What? A cricket ball?:D

:D it might as well be the same thing
  • Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only 28 years for me...It's a pity the Menopause has disrupted things.
    The pain is too much at times so things can be a little difficult.
    Patience is a virtue.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP. Of course not.

You might as well put it the other way. Why bother having sex with a virtual stranger? How can there be anything meaningful in it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    Hank1234 wrote: »
    My parent's have been married 40 years and they don't even share the same bed anymore

Don't let that fool you! Snoring really is a big factor as you get older, and single beds stop the murder rate. Don't worry they're still at it like rabbits when they get the urge.:)
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just celebrated 40 years marriage with a tour of Italy.
    We have two lovely kids with a beautiful grandchild from each.
    Neither of us is "romantic", we aren't openly affectionate and we could spend hours on a car trip without speaking without thinking it a problem.
    We have individual interests and groups of friends.
    We are renowned for our "spats" because we can both be stubborn and fiery.
    We also have a circle of mutual friends who are "in the 30/40 year zone".
    In the last 15 years we've travelled world wide, just the two of us and are perfectly happy in each other's company.
    We'd both break our hearts to lose each other.
    And....... we still (ahem), well, you know:)

OP - why the magic figure of "30"?
    For too many people a few years is too much.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just celebrated 40 years marriage with a tour of Italy.
    We have two lovely kids with a beautiful grandchild from each.
    Neither of us is "romantic", we aren't openly affectionate and we could spend hours on a car trip without speaking without thinking it a problem.
    We have individual interests and groups of friends.
    We are renowned for our "spats" because we can both be stubborn and fiery.
    We also have a circle of mutual friends who are "in the 30/40 year zone".
    In the last 15 years we've travelled world wide, just the two of us and are perfectly happy in each other's company.
    We'd both break our hearts to lose each other.
    And....... we still (ahem), well, you know:)

OP - why the magic figure of "30"?
    For too many people a few years is too much.

Congratulations to you and your wife I hope you have many more happy years together. I have so much respect for couples that stay together for a lifetime when it can be all to easy to chuck in the towel at times. I also want to say that your posts are funny at times and I enjoy the banter you bring to threads.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Congratulations to you and your wife I hope you have many more happy years together. I have so much respect for couples that stay together for a lifetime when it can be all to easy to chuck in the towel at times. I also want to say that your posts are funny at times and I enjoy the banter you bring to threads.

Thank you Greg :)
    "at times"? :blush:
    :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you Greg :)
    "at times"? :blush:
    :D

You're welcome to clarify the "at times" I just meant you post things which are funny and then posts like the one here which are meaningful. I didn't mean your humour was hit and miss.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're welcome to clarify the "at times" I just meant you post things which are funny and then posts like the one here which are meaningful. I didn't mean your humour was hit and miss.:)
    I was kidding Greg :)
    Thanks.
  • Fancy pantsFancy pants Posts: 804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My husband and myself (both 48yrs) have been married almost 27 years, and we are still very 'intimate'!

Things got a bit stale (if that's the correct word) when our kids were younger, as you can't be so spontaneous when you don't know when the kids will be coming home. Now our kids are grown up, and we get lots of free time together, and we make the most of it! We go running together, and this gives us lots of energy that needs using up!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My husband and myself (both 48yrs) have been married almost 27 years, and we are still very 'intimate'!
    We go running together, and this gives us lots of energy that needs using up!
    The other night my wife got out of the bath and shouted down to me "Get up those stairs now and ravish me!!"
    I put my cocoa down and shouted back "Look love, it's one or the other"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why buy a book when you can join a library

Especially if you use braille
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The other night my wife got out of the bath and shouted down to me "Get up those stairs now and ravish me!!"
    I put my cocoa down and shouted back "Look love, it's one or the other"

:):):)
    Mine offered my super sex..................I went for the soup;-)
  • Marmark1Marmark1 Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    We met when I was 18 he was 30 (although he told me he was 29 for the first 2 years.)
    We've been married 42 years.Not all roses,we've had our ups and downs,Still have ups and downs.But something holds you together.
    He's not a well man now.and at times can be very difficult,but It's till death do us part.
    We have a son who's married with 2 small children.They make up for everything.
  • stargirl 2stargirl 2 Posts: 2,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    married almost 30 yrs and have one son .

my hubby is my soulmate and my rock and i cant bear to think of life without him.When we said our wedding vows and i took his name, we both meant every word, through thick and thin good and bad we would always be there for each other.

i do realise i have been blessed and that everyhone is not as lucky as me, but as for the physical side to marriage there really is so much more to making a marriage last and work, its hasnt always been easy but its the tougher times that make you appreciate the good times even more .
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can I just say it's a pleasure to read all these wonderful posts :)

I've not been so lucky but my parents have. They just celebrated their 58th wedding anniversary and, although they are both ill and he recently had to go into a home, they are devoted to each other and always have been. It's sad to see them apart but lovely to see them when they are together (even though he no longer knows who she is, she's devoted to him still).
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't like the idea of marriage and don't mind being alone. I have a girlfriend but we both know it's not going the distance.