Blow your nose? Get a fine.

indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
Forum Member
✭✭
Is this what we have come to? Justified or not?
I know what I think!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/8484978.stm

Comments

• KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    Snot fair. :mad:
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

>
  • Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would they prefer he not blow his nose, and instead sneeze while the vehicle is in motion :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The police have nothing better to do.

At least he will challenge it through the court, I hope he wins and should, unless the police tell a few porkies.
  • kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The town is in uproar over this! You should hear the wee old women on the bus as well XD
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    all that training they get is coming in real useful ..
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this what we have come to? Justified or not?
    I know what I think!
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/8484978.stm

It could be more of a dangerous distraction not to blow his nose, when it's runny.

At any rate, ridiculous, and another quite staggering modern day, unthinking error of judgement on the part of the authorities.
  • roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    The police have nothing better to do.

At least he will challenge it through the court, I hope he wins and should, unless the police tell a few porkies.

It has been reported, for real that the police officer who issued the ticket, was the same on who fined someone littering the guy who dropped a £10

This will proably get thrown out of court
    Forum Member
    30Seconds wrote: »

>
    Mr Rey wrote: »

The thread you are now reading is the better one, because it has a clear title; the one mentioned in the above quotes could be about anything.
  • bleuh111bleuh111 Posts: 2,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, but you see if the man pays the fine (or goes to court and is convicted), then on paper that's a whole crime solved.

In Labourland, that's a job well done and the police deserve a pat on the back for their fine investigative work in bringing another criminal to justice and - more importantly - being one solved crime closer to hitting their targets.
  • indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KJ44 wrote: »
    The thread you are now reading is the better one, because it has a clear title; the one mentioned in the above quotes could be about anything.

Thank you. I did have a quick scan to see if it had been raised before but nothing was immediately obvious.
  • Mr ReyMr Rey Posts: 2,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KJ44 wrote: »

It's not about being "better" is about who came first.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bleuh111 wrote: »
    Ah, but you see if the man pays the fine (or goes to court and is convicted), then on paper that's a whole crime solved.

In Labourland, that's a job well done and the police deserve a pat on the back for their fine investigative work in bringing another criminal to justice and - more importantly - being one solved crime closer to hitting their targets.

Labour aren't in charge up here.
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The officer involved once gave a fixed penalty fine to someone who dropped a £10 note

Daily Record
    Forum Member

It would be if both thread titles addressed the subject, but failing to do so forfeits the right to be considered the definitive thread.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    woodbush wrote: »

Or present what really happened instead of jumping to conclusions from hearing one side of the story.
  • JonJonBJonJonB Posts: 2,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    The officer involved once gave a fixed penalty fine to someone who dropped a £10 note

Daily Record
    From what I recall the guy threw some papers away, accidentally sending the tenner with it, the Police pulled him up on it and he picked them up, retained the tenner then threw the papers away again. As with the story this thread revolves around, it's a good idea to not just jump to the conclusions the papers would have you go for. Try giving the police the benefit of the doubt once in a while.
  • TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course we have not heard from the Police what they fined him for, could have been something completely different. But let's all go Daily Mail and jump to conclusions shall we?!
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the case of blowing his nose, I really do not think it's in the best interest of the police to prosecute - although it's not their decision - it's the Procurator Fiscal who will decide.

But in terms of public relations, it puts a very bad light on the police - just as bad as the Facebook entry for Edinburgh Poliuce that shows two nightshift traffic boys parked up in their BMW and fast asleep.

If I was a member of the public in the town where the nose wiper lives, I would be watching that cop's every move and just wait for him to step out of line and report him for it.

I personally think he should be given a bollocking for being so petty, when a simple warning (not that even that was warranted) could have done.

No wonder the Police of Strathclyde get such a bad reputation - it's assholes like him that spoil it for the good cops.
  • Granny WeatherwaxGranny Weatherwax Posts: 52,923
    Forum Member
    This line in the article made me chuckle! :D

"The traffic was nose to tail in the high street and the traffic
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,515
    Forum Member
    Usually I'd agree but not this time. It's about creating a thread with a meaningful title and post and the old thread had neither, not until post #12. Let's face it, it's slow enough ploughing through the DS forums at the best of times, without posters making it even slower and harder, life's too short! I saw the other thread last night but I didn't know what it was about until I clicked the link in this thread!

Back on topic, if it happened as reported in the media, being done for blowing your nose while stopped in traffic, I'd be equally furious and I'd take it all the way to the Supreme Court (if I could!). Wouldn't surprise me though if some key fact has been omitted. If not, I expect the case to be quietly dropped before it goes to Court.
  • TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    In the case of blowing his nose, I really do not think it's in the best interest of the police to prosecute - although it's not their decision - it's the Procurator Fiscal who will decide.

But in terms of public relations, it puts a very bad light on the police - just as bad as the Facebook entry for Edinburgh Poliuce that shows two nightshift traffic boys parked up in their BMW and fast asleep.

If I was a member of the public in the town where the nose wiper lives, I would be watching that cop's every move and just wait for him to step out of line and report him for it.

I personally think he should be given a bollocking for being so petty, when a simple warning (not that even that was warranted) could have done.

No wonder the Police of Strathclyde get such a bad reputation - it's assholes like him that spoil it for the good cops.

As has been mentioned above, we only have the driver's word for it that he was fined for blowing his nose. He might not have been stationery as he claimed, or he might have done something else. It's a bit harsh to call a Policeman an asshole when you have no idea whether he has done anything wrong or not.
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ridiculous. It'd have been a different matter if the vehicle was moving but even then the alternatives are limited. Stopping and pulling over isn't always practical and could cause more problems in a high street.

The only time I can see such a charge being valid is if someone does it while negotiating a junction or if they lean across when getting the tissue.

Tbh though it does make me wonder. I just don't see the police charging someone just for blowing their nose when stationary. We currently only have his word for what happened and it does beg some questions. Where did he get the tissue from and when? Was he really stationary all the time?

Anyway it's up to the police to prove that he did something wrong and unless they have pictures I can't see how that will happen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »

Daily Record

Known as 'PC Shiny Buttons' ... says it all.