Greggs The Bakers

worldladworldlad Posts: 427
Forum Member
Every branch I have used or walked past always seems packed most of the day. But looking at the prices which seem really reasonable is this company really making big bucks?

I have been having the tuna crunch sandwich and chicken and mango and they are lovely in fact better than Subway and Marks and Spencers..followed by the apple danish which is really nice.

Staff always seem really happy and polite as well...

Comments

• Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Their vegetable pasties are nice too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 377
    Forum Member
    Greggs is lovely. My mum used to work at Spinks's bakery and it was awesome as they let her bring home anything they didn't sell which was quite a lot.

Until a new rule came into place where everything had to be binned. Tight sods.
  • mildredhubblemildredhubble Posts: 6,447
    Forum Member
    Yes, they are doing well for themselves.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    Great !
    Forum Member
    Isaac Hunt wrote: »
    Greggs is lovely. My mum used to work at Spinks's bakery and it was awesome as they let her bring home anything they didn't sell which was quite a lot.

Until a new rule came into place where everything had to be binned. Tight sods.

Greggs send 90% of unsold products to a seconds shop.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,803
    Forum Member
    They are opening up 130 new stores in the next couple of years. Must be doing pretty well to do that.
  • worldladworldlad Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    I called them once regarding a store in London asking why they dont sell fruit, within 2 days all these pots of fruit appeard in the fridges :-)
  • A321A321 Posts: 6,363
    Forum Member
    The longer the queue the crappier the town.
    Forum Member

Whats a seconds shop?
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are opening up 130 new stores in the next couple of years. Must be doing pretty well to do that.

Yes, I'm sure I read that over the Christmas period.

I'm glad, a bacon and cheese wrap is second to none :D
    Forum Member
    A321 wrote: »

I wouldn't say that is true at all considering they have branches in very affulent areas of London such as St James (Off Victoria Street) and Kingsway (Near Covent Garden), both branches have people waiting outside but your normally served within about 5 minutes.
  • rick182rick182 Posts: 11,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A321 wrote: »

Agreeed and the Pastys are normally cold
    Forum Member
    worldlad wrote: »
    Whats a seconds shop?

Stuff that doesn't sell on the first day. It gets sent to another shop and sold on the second day.

Greggs renamed these bargain shops a few years back. They don't have any frills inside, you would know if you had been in oe.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    worldlad wrote: »
    I wouldn't say that is true at all considering they have branches in very affulent areas of London such as St James (Off Victoria Street) and Kingsway (Near Covent Garden), both branches have people waiting outside but your normally served within about 5 minutes.

Of course it isn't true. Some people are just plain snobs. Not a nice trait, tbh.
  • cheesy_pastycheesy_pasty Posts: 4,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wrong. Only dated products that would go out of date on the day displayed in the second day shop go out to those shops. Add to that the unsliced bread that is baked the morning it arrives at the 'normal' shops goes out to the second day shops also.
    Savouries, sandwiches, doughnuts are binned and sent to be destroyed.
    Most second day shops round here have been replaced by 'normal' shops anyhow.

I would warn however, that Greggs products have way too many calories in them. We recently started displaying that information in my shops...and all the staff were dismayed at the calorie content.
    Stuff that doesn't sell on the first day. It gets sent to another shop and sold on the second day.

Greggs renamed these bargain shops a few years back. They don't have any frills inside, you would know if you had been in oe.

I take it you just don't like the company? :rolleyes:

To add...Greggs don't have any debt (which is quite amazing in this day and age). However, they're still asking staff to take unpaid leave and to consent to fewer than contracted hours :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    Wrong. Only dated products that would go out of date on the day displayed in the second day shop go out to those shops. Add to that the unsliced bread that is baked the morning it arrives at the 'normal' shops goes out to the second day shops also.
    Savouries, sandwiches, doughnuts are binned and sent to be destroyed.
    Most second day shops round here have been replaced by 'normal' shops anyhow.

I would warn however, that Greggs products have way too many calories in them. We recently started displaying that information in my shops...and all the staff were dismayed at the calorie content.

I take it you just don't like the company? :rolleyes:

To add...Greggs don't have any debt (which is quite amazing in this day and age). However, they're still asking staff to take unpaid leave and to consent to fewer than contracted hours :rolleyes:

What?

EDIT You have jumped to a strange conclusion there.
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Greggs sandwiches are fantastic - the bread is as light as air and fresh as a daisy. Brilliant. And very reasonably priced. Their cream cakes are not half bad either :)
  • GeorgemcneilGeorgemcneil Posts: 2,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Greggs sandwiches are fantastic - the bread is as light as air and fresh as a daisy. Brilliant. And very reasonably priced. Their cream cakes are not half bad either :)

I prefer their Crumpet.
    Forum Member
    I love the 50p coffee offer they have if you buy a sandwich
  • kaniakania Posts: 6,252
    Forum Member
    Some of their sandwiches are close to £3... so I guess if they sell enough of those, they'll do alright.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,012
    Forum Member
    Beef bakes. :)
  • cheesy_pastycheesy_pasty Posts: 4,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What?

Your saying 90% of products that aren't sold are sent to a second day shop. That simply isn't true. Very limited products are sent to those shops. (Generally only bread).

Sandwiches, donughnuts/cakes & savouries are disposed of the same day. And those 3 product groups make up around 90% of the products we sell. The others being bread (loaves/bread) & drinks.
  • Magic8BallMagic8Ball Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Greggs is the only shop where the staff still shout 'FIVE IN' when you try to pay with a £5 note.

Also the price for the same items is never the same two days in a row.

Best Greggs experience ever - buying a load of like 8 things and the woman behind the counter writing all the prices down on a paper bag. The last item she had to walk to the back of the shop for. Meanwhile her colleague picks up the bag with her calculations, sticks someone elses sandwich in it, and writes £1.20 on the bag underneath.

My member of staff returns, hands over my carrier bag of stuff, takes a look at the paper bag and says "That's £1.20 please".

Result!
  • jaycee331jaycee331 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's just something about their sausage rolls. Been eating them since my local Greggs was called Thurstons and thankfully the recipe is still as good.

I accept that when eating any kind of minced meat, burger, sausage product there's a good chance it aint exactly top drawer filling so try not to worry, and theirs are just so yummy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 377
    Forum Member
    I remember as a kid going in greggs and getting a lunctime special in the school holidays. A pound for a sausage role, iced bun and a carton of ribena.