Options

This weekends going to be long for Delroy Smellie (the tsg sergeant)

PlausibleDenialPlausibleDenial Posts: 978
Forum Member
✭✭
There's a difference between a police service and a police force and Delroy I hope by now realises this but as far as im concerned I hope he gets sacked after his trial for assault which begins on monday at westminster magistrates court. I HOPE EVERYONE Who went to g20 make it down there to give him some support! (for those unaware hes the bent copper who is in many videos beating protesters) in my opinion he should be charged under the human rights act due to representing a public authority and thus acting in an incompatible manner. I'd even go further, charge the gov under the un declaration on torture, as an instrument of the state violenting oppressing people expressing their democratic right to protest by beating them I would consider that torture!

Comments

• Options
    seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How much space is there on a charge sheet?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think his crimes are covered under the Human rights act.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,112
    Forum Member
    A bent copper?

Human rights act because he slapped/pushed a crusty?
  • Options
    yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was this the protest where the police were covering their badge numbers so they couldn't be traced if they did anything wrong?

Hope he's given a fair trial and if guilty is punished appropriately.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The alleged victim couldn't even be bothered to show up in court today.
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :) I think Delroy should be commended for his actions.He was only trying his best to keep the peace.She asked for it.
    I'd maybe even promote him to Inspector.
  • Options
    CornucopiaCornucopia Posts: 19,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The alleged victim's presence in court is not required to proceed with the case - it is Crown vs. Smellie, after all.

I disagree with some of the remarks on this thread. There is a right to protest in a democratic society, and that should go without fear of being "kettled" (aka unlawfully detained) or being assaulted.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    The alleged victim's presence in court is not required to proceed with the case - it is Crown vs. Smellie, after all.

I disagree with some of the remarks on this thread. There is a right to protest in a democratic society, and that should go without fear of being "kettled" (aka unlawfully detained) or being assaulted.

I'm all for peacefull protesting, but got no time for many of the low life ***** that end up attending. All they do is ponce of the system and f*ck all else, apart from kick off whenever they can.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member

It'll be a bit hard to make a case if she's not there to present her evidence.
  • Options
    GlenGlen Posts: 12,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But surely the alleged victim is a pretty significant witness in an assault case.

If she actually did care about getting justice for the alleged offence she would give evidence against him, but it seems her bank balance is the only thing she cares about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    U96 wrote: »
    :) I think Delroy should be commended for his actions.He was only trying his best to keep the peace.She asked for it.
    I'd maybe even promote him to Inspector.

Promotion to Inspector is based off exams and not on merit.

The fact the alleged victim couldn't be bothered to turn up in court shows she has no interest in seeing justice done, she just has interest in making some money via Max Clifford.

Kettling is not unlawful detention or assault, it has been deemed legal by the Law Lords.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    . I'd even go further, charge the gov under the un declaration on torture, as an instrument of the state violenting oppressing people expressing their democratic right to protest by beating them I would consider that torture!

Are you sure that the government actually ordered him to 'violenting oppress people'? You don't think that he just went off on one?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Are you sure that the government actually ordered him to 'violenting oppress people'? You don't think that he just went off on one?

At all the briefings I do in future I will be telling my officers to get on with "violently oppressing people". Ohh I could introduce a new form and creating a monitoring board...:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DGSx wrote: »
    At all the briefings I do in future I will be telling my officers to get on with "violently oppressing people". Ohh I could introduce a new form and creating a monitoring board...:D

:D Very reasonable. Spin it out a bit with pilot studies and feedback sheets.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glen wrote: »
    But surely the alleged victim is a pretty significant witness in an assault case.
    Perhaps not when the alleged perpetrator managed to allow the alleged offence to be broadcast so widely. :rolleyes:
    If she actually did care about getting justice for the alleged offence she would give evidence against him, but it seems her bank balance is the only thing she cares about.
    I wouldn't have thought that the suggested figure of £26,000 would make that much difference. And presumably her story is less valuable in the absence of a complete trial.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kettling is not unlawful detention or assault, it has been deemed legal by the Law Lords.
    I suspect the ECHR would take a different view.

In any case, there still seems to be an active debate on the tactic amongst senior officers....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2009/jul/07/g20-policing-report-kettling
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I suspect the ECHR would take a different view.

In any case, there still seems to be an active debate on the tactic amongst senior officers....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2009/jul/07/g20-policing-report-kettling

It is legal, the Law Lords and Judges have said so.

Just because there is debate within the senior ranks does not make something illegal.

We have debate on the use of tactics all the time in my office... It's all a learning point.
  • Options
    seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hold on,

There are some shenanigans going on here, deliberate manipulations, attempting to the pull the rug out under any justice being done.

One of the quickest ways of having a case dismissed is a witness not turning up.

Now what information or suttle pressure could be applied to a witness so that they don't turn up.

She is not needed, there is enough evidence out there to judge from, to arrive at a verdict.

I hope the judge and jury are brave and honest and sees through all of the maneuvering for what it is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is legal,
    If it's reasonable and proportionate, which will clearly vary on a case-by-case basis.