Options

French Toast or Eggy Bread

clarriboclarribo Posts: 6,258
Forum Member
I had bread dipped in egg and fried for my tea tonight, I call it french toast but some people call it eggy bread. What do you call it?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,233
    Forum Member
    French toast! Best though whisking the eggs with a little bit of milk, and some black pepper.

According to wiki though- French toast is an American name for it and the UK generally call it eggy bread. I'm almost 30 though and remember it being referred to as french toast from a very early age. It's always been one of my favourites
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its eggy bread if its just egg and you have ketchup on, french toast has icing sugar and maybe cinnamon and maple syrup mmm!
  • Options
    clarriboclarribo Posts: 6,258
    Forum Member
    I only ever have it savoury with ketchup but i think I might have to try the sweet version- I love cinnamon.
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eggy bread for me! I don't like calling it toast, because it's not toasty and crisp.

I do love eggy bread though, yum!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eggy bread both in English and the Urdu translation when asking my Mom for some :grin:

Love the stuff!
  • Options
    indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's always been French Bread to me. One of the very few things I just have to have a dollop of Heinz ketchup on the side.
  • Options
    peach45peach45 Posts: 9,426
    Forum Member
    Eggy bread is for kids, it's French Toast for sure, egg, milk, cinnamon and nutmeg or vanilla some sweetener, easy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    French Toast. Never heard of anyone calling it Eggy Bread. Is that an English thing? :confused:
  • Options
    tangsmantangsman Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try it with Salad Cream.:)
  • Options
    You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    French toast here in my part of Scotland. It's yummy but probably heart attack on a plate!
  • Options
    Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    clarribo wrote: »
    I had bread dipped in egg and fried for my tea tonight, I call it french toast but some people call it eggy bread. What do you call it?

I call it disgusting. :p
  • Options
    madeofglassmadeofglass Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    Not had this in ages but tempted to try it with cinnamon/nutmeg and sugar. Think I've always called it French bread so a bit of both.
  • Options
    petral_galpetral_gal Posts: 1,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another vote for French Toast here! And another vote for ketchup too!!

Mmmm that's breakfast tomorrow sorted :)
  • Options
    dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    I've always called it yellow bread:o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We always called it gypsy toast when we were kids, yum I know what I'm having for lunch!
  • Options
    You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The last time I made it I set the smoke alarms off! It seems to smoke a lot.
  • Options
    Flyboy152Flyboy152 Posts: 14,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    French toast, as I have always remember it, is buttered bread, grilled and served with jam.
  • Options
    Flyboy152Flyboy152 Posts: 14,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You_mo wrote: »
    The last time I made it I set the smoke alarms off! It seems to smoke a lot.

That's only if you burn it. ;):D
  • Options
    whackyracerwhackyracer Posts: 15,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eggy bread, my mum puts an amazing twist on it by adding a few spices. It's totally delicious.
  • Options
    birdsongbirdsong Posts: 2,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always known it as eggy bread.

I went to boarding school for a while where it was also always known as eggy bread. It was one of the few food offerings the girls couldn't get enough of :D.
  • Options
    mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    French toast. With powdered sugar and a touch of maple syrup. Or maybe some eggs, sunny-side-up, so I can sop up the yolk with the french toast.
  • Options
    mummypiggetmummypigget Posts: 12,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pasodaisy wrote: »
    We always called it gypsy toast when we were kids, yum I know what I'm having for lunch!

Same here!

Used to love it when mum made it. I usually eat it plain but think I'll try the sweet version.

I love maple syrup on anything like that, pancakes, bacon butties...mmmmm :D
  • Options
    SentenzaSentenza Posts: 12,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eggy bread for me , first had it camping with the cubs aged about 9 and they called it eggy bread so good enough for me :D
  • Options
    parthyparthy Posts: 5,408
    Forum Member
    French toast. I add a little milk to the eggs though.
  • Options
    parthyparthy Posts: 5,408
    Forum Member
    Flyboy152 wrote: »
    French toast, as I have always remember it, is buttered bread, grilled and served with jam.

That just sounds like toast.