The lesser spotted Dick Emery

Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
Forum Member
Lesser spotted and also rarely, if ever mentioned.
Rare chance to see Dick Emery on film, BBC1 00:30 Ooh you are awful.

It's actually not that bad as a bit of a crime caper/comedy film from it's era Pat Coombes and Ronald Fraser are in it IIRC.
Probably a few other well known faces from the 70's are in there too.

Comments

• Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    Lesser spotted and also rarely, if ever mentioned.
    Rare chance to see Dick Emery on film, BBC1 00:30 Ooh you are awful.

It's actually not that bad as a bit of a crime caper/comedy film from it's era Pat Coombes and Ronald Fraser are in it IIRC.
    Probably a few other well known faces from the 70's are in there too.

I know that Harry Enfield cites Dick Emery as an influence and you can also see similarities of that type of sketch show in Little Britain. Emery was, allegedly quite a difficult character to work with, but that characteristic seems to be par for the course for these comic actors.

You may know that his sister is Ann Emery and she played Mrs Ethel Meaker in Rentaghost.
  • M@nterikM@nterik Posts: 6,982
    Forum Member
    I know that Harry Enfield cites Dick Emery as an influence and you can also see similarities of that type of sketch show in Little Britain. Emery was, allegedly quite a difficult character to work with, but that characteristic seems to be par for the course for these comic actors.

You may know that his sister is Ann Emery and she played Mrs Ethel Meaker in Rentaghost.

I never knew that. Thanks.

Yes, Dick Emery was apparently rather difficult to work with. He was somewhat of a perfectionist and somewhat insecure. Personally I would love his shows to be released on DVD. If they can release Morecambe and Wise and The Two Ronnies why not give us some Dick !!!!!
  • eye3eye3 Posts: 2,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a kid I loved the Dick Emery show. His female characters were very funny. Didnt ''bodybags'' play daughter to the old man Lampwick?
    In those days we loved the same characters in the same situatioins week after week, year after year.
    Now comedians such as Harry Enfield, Paul Whitehouse, David Walliams and Matt Lucas feel that characters have a limited appeal and want to kill them off quickly.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    BTW, Anyone watching the film?
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was a brilliant mimic.I still remember many of his characters such as the vicar,Gaylord,Lampwick,the bovver boy and the sexually frustrated old bag.

You can find some of these clips on Youtube....they're hilarious :)
  • M@nterikM@nterik Posts: 6,982
    Forum Member
    eye3 wrote: »
    As a kid I loved the Dick Emery show. His female characters were very funny. Didnt ''bodybags'' play daughter to the old man Lampwick?
    In those days we loved the same characters in the same situatioins week after week, year after year.
    Now comedians such as Harry Enfield, Paul Whitehouse, David Walliams and Matt Lucas feel that characters have a limited appeal and want to kill them off quickly.

Helen Fraser played daughter to the Lampwick character and Victor Maddern played the husband. Not in every series but in quite a few of them.
  • balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He did the Bovver boys with Roy Kinner, And he was President of the Airfix Modellers Club.The film is not very good though.
  • Drew_MDrew_M Posts: 1,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Used to watch him every Saturday night in the 70s without fail. Re the vicar mentioned above - those teeth! :D

I enjoyed the spinoff films from those TV series - even though they were always totally panned by the critics. The two Steptoe & Son films are prime examples - I always thought the second one in particular was simply brilliant.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't this the film with Lisa Goddard's bottom? She was very
    good looking in those days. Also saw the second Steptoe film
    last weekend. That is probably one of the best spin off films from
    British tv comedy - although the first one was pretty poor

Back to Emery, he was a must see part of BBC comedy in my youth
    That era with him, Eric & Ernie + Mike Yarwood etc was probably about
    has good as it gets for consistently good comedy entertainment
    Although there is still some good comedy about today it just
    seems more hit and miss in my opinion
  • darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    M@nterik wrote: »
    I would love his shows to be released on DVD. If they can release Morecambe and Wise and The Two Ronnies why not give us some Dick !!!!!

some dick :D
  • extraextraextraextra Posts: 321
    Forum Member
    Dick Emery used to live a couple of streets away from me when I was growing up and although I only ever met him once, he was charming polite and even brought my brother and I an Easter Egg while we were out shopping.
  • revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should show some love for Emery and put his tv series on. The film is absolutely dire, and I'm a fan!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    eye3 wrote: »

No, they kill them off because people say they need to (atleast in David and Matt's case) even though loads of people still say they want to see those characters...
    Forum Member
    It's very un-PC of me I know, but out of Emery's gallery of characters I do like Clarence.

Army recruitment

Selection of sketches :D

This is why Emery is rarely repaeated on Terrestrial TV. The hows would have to be heavily edited to reflect today's social and legal climate.

Re: the film, it got me wondering what happened to Derren Nesbitt who was a bit-part actor in the 60s-70s and played the villain. According to Wiki, in 1973 he was charged with whipping his wife with a belt. It seems since then he has faded into obscurity.
  • currykevcurrykev Posts: 1,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a chap at work we have named "Ooh You Are Awful"
    The likeness is uncanny...in many ways.
  • kazzabeeekazzabeee Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's very un-PC of me I know, but out of Emery's gallery of characters I do like Clarence.

Army recruitment

Selection of sketches :D

This is why Emery is rarely repaeated on Terrestrial TV. The hows would have to be heavily edited to reflect today's social and legal climate.

Re: the film, it got me wondering what happened to Derren Nesbitt who was a bit-part actor in the 60s-70s and played the villain. According to Wiki, in 1973 he was charged with whipping his wife with a belt. It seems since then he has faded into obscurity.

Dick Emery was an essential part of my childhood. I remember the whole family going to see him at Blackpool Winter Gardens. He's still as funny as he ever was!

Army recruitment - my favourite Clarence sketch ever!

Which reminds me, my pesky neighbour has still got my Dick Emery DVD - must get it back!
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    The fact the sketches are often homophobic is the reason he never gets mentioned, thank god. It's just one step up from the disgrace of Mr Humphries in 'Are You Being Served', merely an excuse for straight people to think 'oh lets all laugh at the funny little homos'. I'm glad people find it funny. Growing up at the time with *that* as a role model wasn't.
    Forum Member
    The fact the sketches are often homophobic is the reason he never gets mentioned, thank god. It's just one step up from the disgrace of Mr Humphries in 'Are You Being Served', merely an excuse for straight people to think 'oh lets all laugh at the funny little homos'. I'm glad people find it funny. Growing up at the time with *that* as a role model wasn't.

I know that some of my male gay friends find Clarence and Mr Humphreys funny too. Just a matter of taste, and how one has been viewed in society I guess.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member

You might want to believe that, but Dave Allen doesn't get the mentions he deserves IMO either.

Humphries and Larry Grayson, safe and unthreatening campery.
    Get into this later, busy with Peep show.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    You might want to believe that, but Dave Allen doesn't get the mentions he deserves IMO either.

Dave Allen was actually funny though.
    Humphries and Larry Grayson, safe and unthreatening campery.

Yeah, nice and safe and unthreatening, the homosexuality only implied but obvious all the same, figures of amusement and generally a laughing stock, and the template was used again and again and again from Julian Clary to Graham Norton and Alan Carr.

Vile.

If people recognised themselves in those gross caricatures then fine, but if you didn't then it was grim.
    Forum Member
    You might want to believe that, but Dave Allen doesn't get the mentions he deserves IMO either.Humphries and Larry Grayson, safe and unthreatening campery.

Dave Allen= excellent viewing and one of the first masters of dry, observational humour and impecable timing. I particularly liked how he highlighted the obsurdity of belief when questioned through a child's eye.