Top Of The Pops 1978 - BBC4

Comments

• Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I've discovered 2 new songs tonight, the opener and the closer by The Real Thing & Donna Summer I have never heard before. In the case of Donna Summer that one slipped through my fingers, or rather ears!

Suzi Quatro looking and sounding as good as she ever had. Infact this song sounds better now than I recall it, and I do just remember it. Her last Top Tenner. She really looked and sounded like she had much more left in her to me.

Gerry Rafferty, not a lot of charisma going on, but pure classic. Give me it that way around anytime!

Bob Marley mixed with Legs & Co should never be allowed! It just seems wrong somehow.

Dan Hill's Sometimes When We Touch is a decent tune for what it does, but nowadays hearing songs like this I immediately think X Factor style, which is a great shame. I cannot believe he was only 24 years old on TOTP at the time. He looks older than me now, one of this threads '69ers.

Earth, Wind & Fire are always sublime. One of my fave groups of the era. They really are fantastic.

Elvis Costello, I tend to find him hit and miss. My fave's by him are Accidents Will Happen from next year, '79, and a couple of his 80's hits Everyday I Write The Book & I Wanna Be Loved, without mentioning the obvious Oliver's Army. I often wonder what possessed him to use the Elvis name as his stage name, considering there was only ever one Elvis. Not to mention the timing of his hits, starting just as the original Elvis had expired.

Manhatten Transfer, Walk In Love is a song I probably should not like but actually think is really beautiful and own digitally. For a long time I always thought they were an American all black soul group! Twilight Zone was the first I recall of theirs, and Spice Of Life. Looking at them, and remembering what I used to think they were like, I could not have been more wrong. But whatever, I do like them. They still tour I believe.

The Vibrators, Automatic Lover. When Peter Powell mentioned Automatic Lover I immediately thought it was a bit early in 1978 for Dee D. Jackson who had the big Automatic Lover hit of 1978, not too far off now itself. The Vibrators were plain embarrassing. Sound, name, the lot.

Kate Bush, this was the same as a previous clip from last week. Great that we have got the chance to see her quite a few times. Nothing to say that hasn't been said a thousand times. One thought crossed my mind, and it was whether there was ever an official promo clip for this song? If so, I've never seen it, and it has not appeared on TOTP, if I recall correctly.

Peter Powell mentioned it was the closest he had ever got to Legs & Co before their Marley routine. Clever move Pete, just don't get any closer, we can't afford to lose you too! ;)
  • starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There were two promos for Wuthering Heights, a quickly put together one in a field. And then a more professional (and I think great one) in a white dress.
  • SgtRockSgtRock Posts: 11,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked Elvis Costello's first three albums 'My Aim Is True' (1977), 'This Year's Model' (1978) and 'Armed Forces' (1979).

'Chelsea' was the lead single from 'This Year's Model' and 'Pump It Up' was released later in the year but I have a soft spot for all twelve songs on that LP and recently rediscovered
    'Lip Service' on YouTube which to me still sounds as fresh, infectious and uplifting as it did 35 years ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLPoukOg0lk

My personal favourite Costello albums are Get Happy and Brutal Youth. I rather lost track of him after the disappointing When I Was Cruel.
  • ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a great show tonight. Can't wait to catch up with it when I get home from work. I enjoyed the Real Thing and Man Tran songs from seeing them on the banned DLT show, so looking forward to seeing their "proper" airing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    starry wrote: »
    There were two promos for Wuthering Heights, a quickly put together one in a field. And then a more professional (and I think great one) in a white dress.

I will check out the white dress one, I'm sure it's on You Tube. But let's face it, the sheer magnetism of Kate in the studio was far better to see, than the promo I presume?

That Donna Summer hit, a new one on me, was mentioned as a modest No19. She had a few modest sized classics, such as State Of Independence which criminally only made No14 when it should have been right up there near the top late in '82. So many of her following year (1979) hits were chart toppers in the States but only modest successes here in the UK. I wonder why? Maybe we in Britain needed a Summer holiday from her prolific charting of 1977/78.
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alcockell wrote: »
    Ahhh - Rumour Has It - another Donna classic..
    *grabs air-bass*

A fine tune, from a fine album (Once Upon A Time).

I remember Legs & Co performing to this on TOTP, dressed as housewives with Hilda Ogden style rollers and scarves:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I remember Legs & Co performing to this, dressed as housewives with Hilda Ogden style rollers and scarves:D

Well that explains it stalling at a lowly No19 then! Talk about killing a songs chances off with in-appropriate imagery. She should have sued! :D

Reminds me of almost 2 years ago now when Ruby Flipper did a cringeworthy one to Young Hearts Run Free by Candi Staton in summer 1976. Now I can't listen to that song without that routine coming to mind. Grrr. :eek:
  • milliejomilliejo Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is amazing how hairy the men were... I have never seen Dan Hill before he looks about 45..
    I loved Earth, Wind and Fire, Gerry Raffety and of course Kate Bush...

And perky Peter Powell always love him..He was the best..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    I will check out the white dress one, I'm sure it's on You Tube. But let's face it, the sheer magnetism of Kate in the studio was far better to see, than the promo I presume?

There's some very good closeups, such as in the dissolves at the end. The rotoscoping effect adds an unreal quality to the scene alongside the blackness and mist. This was done for the British release apparently, maybe they thought Americans would only like a much more straightforward video.
  • faversham saintfaversham saint Posts: 2,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UrsulaU wrote: »
    When do we get to see The Kate Bush video with the white dress? - That's what I remember watching when I was small! :confused:

BIB - we possibly won't get to see the TOTP 'white dress' performance in question (which I suspect is not the official promo video) as it featured on the 23-03-78 edition presented by DLT along with the Musik Laden clip of Eruption doing 'I Can't Stand The Rain' and the Legs & Co. routine for 'Rumour Has It' mentioned above.
  • Tele_addictTele_addict Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BIB - we probably won't get to see the TOTP performance in question as it featured on the 23-03-78 edition presented by DLT along with the Musik Laden clip of Eruption doing 'I Can't Stand The Rain' and the Legs & Co. routine for 'Rumour Has it' mentioned above.
    Yes but pretty sure they show it the week after on the David Jensen hosted edition, due to be shown next week
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    jake1981 wrote: »
    Is it me or is Automatic Lover reminiscent of Mary of the 4th form ?
    More reminiscent of "She's So Modern" in my opinion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    starry wrote: »
    There's some very good closeups, such as in the dissolves at the end. The rotoscoping effect adds an unreal quality to the scene alongside the blackness and mist. This was done for the British release apparently, maybe they thought Americans would only like a much more straightforward video.

Well well well, I almost knew before I took a look. The United States virtually ignored Wuthering Heights. Apparently it reached No8 on some oddity known as the Billboard Bubbling Under Chart, in other words it failed to ever make the official Billboard Hot 100. Their loss.

Noticed that it hit No1 down under in Oz & NZ, but was not so popular in Scandanavian countries, and even in Germany which would have been expected to pick up big time on this kind of song, it just missed Top Ten there. Yet they place The Hoff tops, heaven forbid. Italians had more sense, making it No1 there.

There is only one Automatic Lover in 1978;

http://youtu.be/bTFCwKvlKZo

Made No4 not too far from now.
  • cliveb2005cliveb2005 Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    The singer is sexy.

Yes very sexy moves and a great song. She was Laurel Masse, and was nearly killed in a bad car smash later in 1978 after which she had to leave the group. :( Still performing today though :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She also did well in Japan. Moving I think got to No1 there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    UrsulaU wrote: »
    When do we get to see The Kate Bush video with the white dress? - That's what I remember watching when I was small! :confused:

I seem to definitely remember the video showing her in a red dress unless its a different video, oh well. Haven't seen tonights as yet, ready to watch off Sky series link.
  • mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 146,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I will repeat my post for anyone who's missed it and loves Baker Street:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01b9jp0
  • ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    More boys playing at being punk.

Do like this one though...

In their defence, the Vibrators date back to 1976 and were originally signed to RAK, where they were produced by Chris Spedding.

I think Epic snapped them up when it became apparent that there might be money to made from punk - 'Automatic Lover' is very 'power pop', rather like Tonight ... the group obviously sacrificed their authenticity (or were told to).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone had a total 100% change of opinion on a song from absolutely hating it to actually loving it on any of these editions to date? Either caused by seeing on TOTP 1976/77/78 or having already changed their view from their younger self?

Or for that matter, has the exact opposite taken place, with a song you loved and now detest from the period that we have viewed to date?
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big Hits 1978 is currently reairing on BBC4.
  • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I remember Legs & Co performing to this on TOTP, dressed as housewives with Hilda Ogden style rollers and scarves:D
    It would have been shown next week but as its a DLT hosted edition that edition is being skipped.

Here's the Legs & Co performance :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wlDPw906Ho
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Rat trap on a non-DLT or Savile ep?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Well well well, I almost knew before I took a look. The United States virtually ignored Wuthering Heights. Apparently it reached No8 on some oddity known as the Billboard Bubbling Under Chart, in other words it failed to ever make the official Billboard Hot 100. Their loss.
    The Billboard Bubbling Under chart was the next 10 (it's now a top 25) below their Hot 100, the equivalent of the Breakers Chart in the UK which was the next 10 below the top 50.

It's sole week on the Billboard Bubbling Under chart was on the chart dated 4 November 1978.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alcockell wrote: »
    Is Rat trap on a non-DLT or Savile ep?
    'Rat Trap' was featured on TOTP a number of times in 1978 and none of these were on shows hosted by DLT or JS.
  • SillyBoyBlueSillyBoyBlue Posts: 3,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to go to school in Fulham and at lunchtime would toddle off to the Beggar's Banquet record shop in North End Road to buy punk singles. I got 'mugged' in there once when a thug demanded my prefect badge (everyone in sixth form was a 'prefect', I wasn't anything special...)

Anyway The Vibrators used to rehearse in the basement of the shop. They were crap then and still are.
This discussion has been closed.