Options

Do you care about strangers?

Lisa_ClaydenLisa_Clayden Posts: 36
Forum Member
Just a random thought I had.:confused:

It's considered nice to care about other people especially family and friends but would you care about strangers if there was something bad happening to them?

Or is it none of your business?

It seems like you don't know them enough to care but it would be too heartless to not care?

What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    JumbobonesJumbobones Posts: 1,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    depends. Not usually.
  • Options
    kieranyeah123kieranyeah123 Posts: 1,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess quite a lot do on here, if we call celebrities strangers?

When a celebrity dies, yes it's always nice to put a mark of respect but when I see some people crying I think it's totally overboard. Just a bit weird to have never met the person or know them personally.
  • Options
    CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    Jumbobones wrote: »
    depends. Not usually.

This.
  • Options
    chimpsy23chimpsy23 Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    Not in the slightest
  • Options
    Lisa_ClaydenLisa_Clayden Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    I suppose it's ok not to care about them as long as you don't want to hurt them or anything because that's not fair!!
  • Options
    Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,922
    Forum Member
    If I saw a stranger in distress in the street I would stop and see if I could help. Not sure if that's the kind of thing you mean but I have given someone who locked herself out of their car a lift to her husband's work to get the spare keys and stopped to help someone who collapsed.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It depends. If I saw a stranger getting beaten up or abused I would step in. I am also a qualified first aider, so again if I saw someone in trouble I would try and help out.
  • Options
    CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    Strangers are just friends, that you haven't met yet.
  • Options
    Apple22over7Apple22over7 Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't go out of my way to be nice to them/care for them, but at the same time I don't actively want anything bad to happen to them either. I'm just a bit passive I guess,
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. I'm one of those people that will stop and see if someone is ok or needs help.
    Also I'm a first aider so wouldn't want to walk past if I could help.
    I think more people should get involved, if it was one of my kids in trouble nd no one stopped to help I would be really angry.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It depends. If I saw a stranger getting beaten up or abused I would step in. I am also a qualified first aider, so again if I saw someone in trouble I would try and help out.

I've stepped in a couple of times on public transport. Once when a womans byf was slapping her about on the tube. And once to kick a little pissed up scroat off a bus so the driver could resume the journey [I'd just done a 15 hour shift and wanted to get home]

My mates redkon I will get stabbed one day *rolls eyes*
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I do, very much so. I don't know why though.
  • Options
    zahavizahavi Posts: 551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, because if I was a stranger I'd want someone to help me out too.
  • Options
    zahavizahavi Posts: 551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose it's ok not to care about them as long as you don't want to hurt them or anything because that's not fair!!

If you have new neighbors or something, I believe it is wrong to ignore them. You should introduce yourself and let them know that you'll be there for them if they need anything.
  • Options
    The FinisherThe Finisher Posts: 10,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes very much so. For me it prevents true happiness. I could never be truly happy knowing that there are people out there suffering in the way that people do. It haunts me tbh.
    We have the power to do quite small things that can make a big difference to some people, but in order to do this we need first to care about these 'strangers'.
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Erm... I don't not care about them...
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not so much that I'd actively seek out volunteer work, but I've rescued an old lady who got nervous in the middle of the road (too frightened to move) and I used to get hijacked by another excellent character to walk her back to the old people's place from the bus stop. So I don't go out of my way but I don't walk by if I see help's needed. That's probably the same as most people would do - common compassion.
  • Options
    dan_blamiresdan_blamires Posts: 1,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know cyclists dont.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    How can people be so heartless
    How can people be so cruel
    Easy to be hard
    Easy to be cold

How can people have no feelings
    How can they ignore their friends
    Easy to be proud
    Easy to say no

And especially people
    Who care about strangers
    Who care about evil
    And social injustice
    Do you only
    Care about the bleeding crowd?
    How about a needing friend?
    I need a friend
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know cyclists dont.
    The lorry drivers which run them over don't seem to be demonstrating a great deal of compassion either.
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mostly yes. In the sense you may not 'know' them but 'see them about', serve you in a shop regularly etc.

And of course seeing people in some desperate state, injured or obviously ill.

I can't help but notice, and care - even though what I do with that 'care' is to just ask if someone's alright, or make sure that they're cared 'for' in some way.
  • Options
    treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was having a bad day this week and stopped at a bench to have a sit down and mull things over. I saw a car go by out of the corner of my eye and then saw it reversing back down the road. It stopped and an American woman wound down her window and asked if I was okay. I said I was fine and she said "Have a nice day" and continued on.

At first I thought this was odd and then I felt really bad for thinking that an act of kindness was odd :(

I've thought about it a lot since and feel the need to relay that kindness onto somebody else. I've always thought that kindness is contageous and once one person starts it, it spreads. Just somebody smiling at you in the street seems to lift your day.

I went to a little town in Colorado once where everybody on the street would say "Have a nice day". It's strange at first but you soon get into the swing of things.
    I know a lot of people think that this is fake kindness but I always remember a quote of Ben Elton's on the same subject.

I'd rather somebody wished me a nice day and not mean it, than somebody tell me to F*** Off and mean it.
  • Options
    JumbobonesJumbobones Posts: 1,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zahavi wrote: »
    If you have new neighbors or something, I believe it is wrong to ignore them. You should introduce yourself and let them know that you'll be there for them if they need anything.

This is a joke right :o
  • Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    Depends on the circumstances, for the big issues and strangers,I support a chosen charity that I think does good work.

If some one is lost I try to help them,if some one is in danger,I'd try to help them.

But if it's that **** behind me ,hanging onto my exhaust pipe and flashing his lights at me, then no,I don't care about him.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    I suppose it depends on context.

I mean, are we saying that, for example, while you'd care about keeping a friend or acquaintance awake with loud music, you wouldn't care about doing the same thing to a stranger? :confused:

I don't have any particular interest in the lives of people I don't know but I do "care" about their wellbeing just as much as I care about the wellbeing of my closest friends.

You'd have to be pretty weird not to, IMO.
    Course, that would explain the way a lot of people act when they're using the roads. :blush: