Alexandra Burke Announces Royal Albert Hall Residency / Will Tribute Diana Ross

13»

Comments

• Barry_ClarkeBarry_Clarke Posts: 2,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't wait 2 see the show. It will be even better in a bigger venue, she knows what she is doing. Alexandra is a class act, and this is all about taking her career 2 the next level
  • rattierattie Posts: 7,050
    Forum Member

From what I've read she clearly had an opportunity come up which she couldn't afford to turn down. While I can't blame her for wanting to seize whatever the opportunity was, it comes across as an insult to people's intelligence to release an official line saying the concerts were postponed because they had underestimated demand.

There are countless events which sell out where demand is underestimated. Additional events are laid on as a result, the original ones don't get cancelled.

If I was a fan who had bought tickets I would be extremely unimpressed at being treated in such a way and it would just add insult to injury to be fobbed off with what is quite clearly bullshine about over demand forcing cancellation and rescheduling.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rattie wrote: »
    From what I've read she clearly had an opportunity come up which she couldn't afford to turn down. While I can't blame her for wanting to seize whatever the opportunity was, it comes across as an insult to people's intelligence to release an official line saying the concerts were postponed because they had underestimated demand.

There are countless events which sell out where demand is underestimated. Additional events are laid on as a result, the original ones don't get cancelled.

If I was a fan who had bought tickets I would be extremely unimpressed at being treated in such a way and it would just add insult to injury to be fobbed off with what is quite clearly bullshine about over demand forcing cancellation and rescheduling.

Well, I agree that her management should have given a different reason. Maroon 5 just postponed their tour in the UK because of "scheduling conflicts", but in any case, I don't think there's really a way to eliminate disappointment in this scenario.

Alexandra wouldn't have taken this decision lightly however, as she loves to perform live, but recent developments from her twitter etc indicate that she must have been offered an opportunity which she couldn't refuse, so I guess this is just an unfortunate consequence of that.
  • jerefprdterrajerefprdterra Posts: 30,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At the end of the day its good that more people will be able to see the concerts anyway.
  • Barry_ClarkeBarry_Clarke Posts: 2,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Well, I agree that her management should have given a different reason. Maroon 5 just postponed their tour in the UK because of "scheduling conflicts", but in any case, I don't think there's really a way to eliminate disappointment in this scenario.

Alexandra wouldn't have taken this decision lightly however, as she loves to perform live, but recent developments from her twitter etc indicate that she must have been offered an opportunity which she couldn't refuse, so I guess this is just an unfortunate consequence of that.

Zack I would say they have big plans for her in America. And that is the most important thing 2her atm and so it should be
    Forum Member

You're right, there is no way of eliminating disappointment but when ordinary people are out of pocket too it is more than just disappointment that's the end result. Whether taken lightly or not, it's a decision for which she will pay a price. As someone in the music industry once said to me, "if you cancel gigs you get a bad reputation".

It's arguable whether some honesty might have been less damaging.

Alex has gone to America I understand, I can't see that working out tbh but good luck to her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that she will be a massive hit in the States. Good luck to her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're right, there is no way of eliminating disappointment but when ordinary people are out of pocket too it is more than just disappointment that's the end result. Whether taken lightly or not, it's a decision for which she will pay a price. As someone in the music industry once said to me, "if you cancel gigs you get a bad reputation".

Alex has gone to America I understand, I can't see that working out tbh but good luck to her.

Well I'm pretty sure every artist is going to be faced with this situation at some stage in their career, yes it's sad that people have lost money out of this, and I feel for those people but the gigs are still going ahead for later in the year. Sometimes these situations can't be avoided and as I said before, it's just an unfortunate consequence.

She has gone there yeah, and she will be there for quite some time now. Judging by how the UK industry responded to her last album, I don't blame her, she has some big things coming up, but we'll see how that goes.
  • iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member

She's widening her base, it takes a toll, stuff has to give. She's only done it once before, it's not the end of the world. She hasn't cancelled them, they've been moved. Not the same thing. She's still doing them.
  • NiiiiiiikNiiiiiiik Posts: 1,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that she will be a massive hit in the States. Good luck to her.

So do I which is why she's taken this opportunity she's now in New York for a while so hopefully things go well!
    Forum Member
    Well I'm pretty sure every artist is going to be faced with this situation at some stage in their career, yes it's sad that people have lost money out of this, and I feel for those people but the gigs are still going ahead for later in the year. Sometimes these situations can't be avoided and as I said before, it's just an unfortunate consequence.

She has gone there yeah, and she will be there for quite some time now. Judging by how the UK industry responded to her last album, I don't blame her, she has some big things coming up, but we'll see how that goes.

Can't blame her either in fairness. Still not a good move to bulls**t people though. Blame her management :)

However, I don't think she has the look or the personality which will appeal in the USA......we will see. I have been wrong before :eek: :)
    Forum Member
    Can't blame her either in fairness. Still not a good move to bulls**t people though. Blame her management :)

However, I don't think she has the look or the personality which will appeal in the USA......we will see. I have been wrong before :eek: :)

I'm sure we've seen the US has no select look when it comes to women, from Amy, to Adele, to Leona. It's about songs. Radio is power.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Alex changes from doing pop, which is never the type of music that she should have been doing, and changes to doing soul/r&b then she will be a major star without any doubt.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've always thought she seemed more America personality wise than British. The UK didn't "get" Kelly's personality either, and I think AB can be like her sometimes, especially when she was a judge on the X Factor, but Kelly is well liked in America.

It all comes down to a number of things going the right way anyhow, so we will see indeed. :)
    If Alex changes from doing pop, which is never the type of music that she should have been doing, and changes to doing soul/r&b then she will be a major star without any doubt.

She's worked with Rico Love on this album, who has produced countless R&B hits for so many artists, including All Night Long for Alexandra. She already said that we can expect some "R&B bangers" on the new album.
    Forum Member

Eh..a mix of both. More All Night Long with a little more beat. Urban is NOT selling nowadays. Commercial suicide.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree totally.
  • violetcrawleyvioletcrawley Posts: 734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This ^^

Never heard any artist doing this.

And especially much later after the sale date she has got a better offer.

Most artists honour their contract and add later dates.

Shameful!!!!
  • violetcrawleyvioletcrawley Posts: 734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I have seen bands artists that have never done this.

You say every artist?

Who?

This is bad pr for Alex.

Fishy how they use that BS months after the tiny room sound out. Seems like the lucky fans were used as guinea pigs to gauge ticket sales.
  • NiiiiiiikNiiiiiiik Posts: 1,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's the plan! She's doing exactly that!
  • johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really dont know why people are making such a fuss. She wants everyone to have chance to go to the concerts. What is wrong with that. She is doing the right thing.

She could have scheduled additional concerts for later in the year, rather than cancelling existing dates.
    Forum Member
    johartuk wrote: »
    She could have scheduled additional concerts for later in the year, rather than cancelling existing dates.

That's the problem. She can't. She's not here anymore. Something has happened, and I do hope she explains what soon. But tbh, I understand why she moved them to September.