Hit films now Forgotten

Comments

• dee123dee123 Posts: 46,267
    Forum Member
    lady_xanax wrote: »
    People do remember The English Patient although not necessarily for the right reasons.

I only remember it for the Seinfeld episode. Completely agree with Elaine about it :D
  • k0213818k0213818 Posts: 5,916
    Forum Member
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Nobody thinks Avatar was robbed of 'Best Picture'! Well, apart from Cameron, possibly.

I never said it was robbed. The media though made a big deal about best picture being Hurt Locker vs Avatar and Bigelows vs Cameron.
  • NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Country Girl is probably best remembered for the fact that Grace Kelly won the Best Actress Oscar over Judy Garland's stunningly moving performance in A Star is Born. Hollywood was so impressed that Kelly pulled her hair back in a bun, wore glasses and no make up that they confused that with great acting.

Over 60 years later it is Judy's magnificent performance that will never be forgotten. :)

Maybe they learnt their lesson: Jennifer Aniston never got that talked about Oscar nomination for Cake.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Not the guide to credibility it was before Rocky & Bullwinkle.

He's still seen as one of, if not the best, actor there is :)
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    He's still seen as one of, if not the best, actor there is :)

He was but has largely been coasting the past twenty years.
  • k0213818k0213818 Posts: 5,916
    Forum Member
    "Days of Thunder". It seemed to be everywhere in 1990- you couldn't turn on the
    TV without seeing an ad for DoT at one point, and "Show Me Heaven" was never
    off the radio. It was a success in the cinema and a big home-video hit.

Yet today, nobody remembers DoT except for the fact Tom Cruise was in it.
    Scenes from it haven't been remembered in the way other TC films like
    "Risky Business" and "Top Gun" are.

Going to totally disagree with this one:
    1) It's the film most people instantly go to when they think of Tom and Nicole's relationship
    2) Show me Heaven was a massive song, still getting AirPlay and still associated with the film
    3) The wheelchair race has been parodied many times (namely on The Simpsons)
    4) it's pretty much the biggest mainstream coverage Nascar ever got, especially in this country. Most people still use Duvalls 'Rubbin's racin' line in reference to the sport.
  • Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 9,007
    Forum Member
    dee123 wrote: »
    Trading Places & Coming To America are only remembered to remind people Eddie Murphy didn't always make complete and utter crap.

Once the generation that watched it dies, Crocodile Dundee will slowly vanish away. Don't quote it in front of younger Australians. They cringe at it. Learned that the hard way.

Do they?! They need to lighten up and learn it was 'of its time', it doesn't mean it's not any good.

"That's not a knife. THAT's a knife." One of the best lines ever.
  • yaristamanyaristaman Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Days of Thunder". It seemed to be everywhere in 1990- you couldn't turn on the
    TV without seeing an ad for DoT at one point, and "Show Me Heaven" was never
    off the radio. It was a success in the cinema and a big home-video hit.

Yet today, nobody remembers DoT except for the fact Tom Cruise was in it.
    Scenes from it haven't been remembered in the way other TC films like
    "Risky Business" and "Top Gun" are.

Days of Thunder is still fairly well remembered I'd say. Show Me Heaven still gets a lot of airplay on the radio.

Far and Away on the other hand.....
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    k0213818 wrote: »
    Going to totally disagree with this one:
    1) It's the film most people instantly go to when they think of Tom and Nicole's relationship

Isn't the main Tom/Nicole film "Eyes Wide Shut"?
    2) Show me Heaven was a massive song, still getting AirPlay and still associated with the film

I did point out how popular SMH was. But a popular movie song doesn't mean people remember the actual movie. How many average movie watchers can remember anything about "Vision Quest" besides the fact Madonna's "Crazy For You" was its theme?
    3) The wheelchair race has been parodied many times (namely on The Simpsons)

Okay, there I concede a point...
    4) it's pretty much the biggest mainstream coverage Nascar ever got, especially in this country. Most people still use Duvalls 'Rubbin's racin' line in reference to the sport.

I looked up a list of films about NASCAR, and the only ones I could recognize
    were DoT and "Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby". But I'd guess
    that the average moviegoer could remember more scenes from the latter, even
    making allowances for the fact there's several years between the two films.
    Forum Member

Once the generation that watched it dies, Crocodile Dundee will slowly vanish away. Don't quote it in front of younger Australians. They cringe at it. Learned that the hard way.

So it's like "Darby O'Gill and the Little People" for the Aussies, then?

I remember an Irish journalist on TV stressing the importance of a strong Irish
    film industry. He ended his speech with a warning that if the Irish didn't
    make films showing Irish culture, then "Hollywood will", and he showed us a clip
    of "Darby O'Gill".
  • pete137pete137 Posts: 18,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How about The Secret Of My Success with Michael J Fox which was the 7th highest grossing films of 1987. Now totally forgotten and basically deleted from MJF's back catelogue. When you consider that films of the same year like Dirty Dancing, Full Metal Jacket, Robocop and Planes Trains And Automobiles didnt even make the top ten it makes it more suprising.

Of course the film was VERY much of its time. Wall Street, stockbrokers, braces, filo-faxes, money money money etc but I have always had a soft spot for it. Watched it just last week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I remember an Irish journalist on TV stressing the importance of a strong Irish
    film industry. He ended his speech with a warning that if the Irish didn't
    make films showing Irish culture, then "Hollywood will", and he showed us a clip
    of "Darby O'Gill".

The Quiet Man is probably a better example, except it remains popular in Ireland to this day.
    Forum Member
    Ella Nut wrote: »
    Do they?! They need to lighten up and learn it was 'of its time', it doesn't mean it's not any good.

"That's not a knife. THAT's a knife." One of the best lines ever.

Oh yeah. Got comments like:

"Those movies are a horrible stereotype
    Do you think that's how most Australian live?
    We don't speak like that
    I've only ever seen a crocodile in a zoo"

it went on.
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member

The wheelchair race has been parodied many times (namely on The Simpsons)

Okay, there I concede a point...

But it was nicked from Silent Movie in the first place, surely...
    Forum Member
    Speaking of Oz-related flicks:

"Young Einstein", by Yahoo Serious AKA Greg Pead. Trailers and posters for it
    were all over the place in 1988. Yet nobody seems to remember it nowadays (although
    maybe it's still recalled in Serious' native Australia). And YS' later films,
    "Reckless Kelly" and "Mr. Accident" didn't make the same impression.

YS did make for a great gag in that Oz-phobic ep of "The Simpsons":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq0XNILIYTw
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yeah. Got comments like:

"Those movies are a horrible stereotype
    Do you think that's how most Australian live?
    We don't speak like that
    I've only ever seen a crocodile in a zoo"

it went on.

They sound a little oversensitive, I don't think anyone has ever watched Crocodile Dundee or Darby O'Gill for a documentary portrait of Australian or Irish society.

I read though that Wake in Fright was controversial in Australia at the time for its less than flattering portrait of small town outback life.
    Forum Member
    dodrade wrote: »
    They sound a little oversensitive, I don't think anyone has ever watched Crocodile Dundee or Darby O'Gill for a documentary portrait of Australian or Irish society.

I read though that Wake in Fright was controversial in Australia at the time for its less than flattering portrait of small town outback life.

It's sad. It's gotten to the point where if you say "G'day" people roll their eyes or look at you like you're a weirdo. In the cities & suburbs at least, that kind of Australia is basically dead.
  • StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone watch Blair Witch Project these days?

When it first came out, i heard about the title, i did not watch it for a long time, cause i thought it was some boring documentary about Tony Blair :D
    Forum Member

When it first came out, i heard about the title, i did not watch it for a long time, cause i thought it was some boring documentary about Tony Blair :D

I saw it a few months ago, and BWP is still very scary. And it gets name-checked at
    most reviews of the "found-footage" horror genre, so it is hardly forgotten.

One odd thing about BWP is that none of the people involved with it had successful
    movie careers. None of Daniel Myrick and Eduardo Sánchez's later films
    achieved much success, and of the three actors, only Joshua Leonard still
    appears on screen (Heather Donahue now writes nonfiction and Michael
    C. Williams runs a theatre).
  • Mrs ChecksMrs Checks Posts: 8,372
    Forum Member

I don't think BWP is hugely forgotten, but it's sequel, Book of Shadows, has most definitely been forgotten.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw it a few months ago, and BWP is still very scary. And it gets name-checked at
    most reviews of the "found-footage" horror genre, so it is hardly forgotten.

One odd thing about BWP is that none of the people involved with it had successful
    movie careers. None of Daniel Myrick and Eduardo Sánchez's later films
    achieved much success, and of the three actors, only Joshua Leonard still
    appears on screen (Heather Donahue now writes nonfiction and Michael
    C. Williams runs a theatre).

I saw Altered a while back which was ok and have Lovely Molly on Sky+ to watch.
    Forum Member
    Mrs Checks wrote: »
    I don't think BWP is hugely forgotten, but it's sequel, Book of Shadows, has most definitely been forgotten.

Aye. Apparently there was a fight between the director and Artisan
    over BoS, which might be part of the reason the sequel flopped so
    badly:

http://www.avclub.com/article/spooktacular-halloween-case-file-27-ibook-of-shado-88117
    Forum Member

TBWP was a gift to British satirists of the time- Rory Bremner did a
    skit called "The "Which Blair?" Project", and a poorly-received comedy
    appeared:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tony_Blair_Witch_Project

Presumably it would have been followed by "The Brown Necromancer Project"
    and "The Cameron Warlock Project". ;-)
  • AnonandonAnonandon Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    Which is a pity because it's quite good. It has the right amount of all the things you expect in a Tim Burton film without going into overdrive like his other films recently. It's also an Oscar winner. It won for Art Direction. Which it fully deserved.

I also quite love Christopher Walken's role. Particularly good when he doesn't say a single word.

Speaking of Mr Walken, The King of New York hasn't been given much credit, I think it's far better than bloody Al Pacinos comedy turn in, Scarface.
    Critically, LA Confidential, Mulholland Drive and Croutching Tiger, Hidden Dragon were all the rage, all pretty much forgetten. Anyone remember Cop Land, that was billed as Sly Stalone acts for the first time in two decades. It wasn't bad but Robert de Niro decided that he'd rather not take a chance on it being a flop and asked make-up to disguise him as Bruce Forsyth. Google it.
  • GortGort Posts: 7,466
    Forum Member
    Anonandon wrote: »
    Critically, LA Confidential, Mulholland Drive and Croutching Tiger, Hidden Dragon were all the rage, all pretty much forgetten.

Maybe by the circle that you inhabit, but those films get mentioned quite often for films that are over a decade old. Again, this thread does bring up some strange suggestions.