Neill Blomkamp Alien movie apparently greenlit.

JCRJCR Posts: 24,069
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2015/02/18/neill-blomkamp-indicates-that-his-alien-film-is-official/

He has previously shown off concept art showing older versions of Ripley and Hicks, meaning there may be one or two continuity issues ahead. :o

Concept art for Neill Blomkamp Alien film- http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captured/neill-blomkamp-reveals-some-thrilling-concept-art-for-an-unmade-alien-film

Comments

• BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    The reboot is one of the most annoying fads of recent years.

Alien cannot be improved upon. There is no alternative take that is of any use or interest.

I mean it is one thing to reboot franchises scorned by terrible movies, but Alien is a bonefide masterpiece.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deadline.com confirms- new Aliens film with Blomkamp directing and Ridley Scott producing is a go at Fox

http://deadline.com/2015/02/alien-neil-blomkamp-directing-fox-movie-1201376439/
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Given how awful Elysium was, I don't have high hopes for this.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    Deadline.com confirms- new Aliens film with Blomkamp directing and Ridley Scott producing is a go at Fox

This Alien movie is a sequel to Prometheus?

If Fox give Blomkamp complete total control over this film then i think it could be amazing, otherwise it will just be another in a long line of disappointments.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    If Fox give Blomkamp complete total control over this film then i think it could be amazing, otherwise it will just be another in a long line of disappointments.

To use a cliche, this :)

If he's allowed to follow the story he essentially pitched, it could be very good indeed, although I guess the obvious "issue" is that both Sigourney Weaver and Michael Biehn are a lot older.
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Alien 1, 2 and 3. I hated 4. I hope Neil's film (despite my love for 3) ignores 3 and picks up after 2, bringing at the very least Hicks back and having Ripley and him together on another adventure.

I hate the whole idea of Ripley being an Alien hybrid now due to cloning, and it takes the series out of the central theme of "woman being terrorised by Aliens" to "woman is half Alien, can communicate with them, they don't want to kill her any more and the Aliens as a result are more comical etc." that we got in Alien 4.

I remain optimistic about the project.
  • necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Concept art of anything always look great. Rarely though does the finished film live up to the hype, at least that's what I've found. And Ripley's story was finished by Alien 3. It was a mistake to revive her in Resurrection and I don't see it any different here. Having said that, I'm one of the few who really enjoyed Prometheus so what do I know :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paddy C wrote: »
    I love Alien 1, 2 and 3. I hated 4. I hope Neil's film (despite my love for 3) ignores 3 and picks up after 2, bringing at the very least Hicks back and having Ripley and him together on another adventure. .

Well as I can see it, this is exactly what is being implied for the new film with Ripley and Hicks infiltrating Weyland Yutani.

I can only guess they'll explain away the fact they both look significantly older by maybe having them in some kind of long term stasis ?.

It would be a little rough on Ripley though I guess, considering she'd already been in stasis for 50 odd years when she was found at the start of Aliens :)
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    I think a story reboot, from the end of Aliens, ignoring Alien 3 and Resurrection could be something very special. An older, scarred Hicks, an older Ripley and a grown up Newt is too tempting a prospect to ignore. I'm sure they can come up with something decent to explain their ages. It's what the fans have wanted since the 80's, so I say go for it.
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    I really want this to be good. Ridley Scott to produce, apparently.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To use a cliche, this :)

If he's allowed to follow the story he essentially pitched, it could be very good indeed, although I guess the obvious "issue" is that both Sigourney Weaver and Michael Biehn are a lot older.

Assuming of course they get asked or even want to reprise their roles.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Assuming of course they get asked or even want to reprise their roles.

I was under the impression that Blomkamp had talked to Weaver about his vision for the film when he was initially just playing around with the idea and she was said to be quite keen.

If that's the case, I would imagine things would be resolved very quickly.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was under the impression that Blomkamp had talked to Weaver about his vision for the film when he was initially just playing around with the idea and she was said to be quite keen.

If that's the case, I would imagine things would be resolved very quickly.

It still could be, but until it's 100% confirmed who the cast is, it still could be anyone...though I think Weaver would be hard to replace and would be an almost certain definite, not so much Biehn.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Hicks as a character is to return, I would not be happy unless it was Beihn in the role. Sigourney was quite receptive to Neil's ideas when they discussed them on the set of Chappie, so I'd assume that she'd be involved no problem with this.
    Forum Member
    Biehn would be up for it, it would be the best gig he's had in years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blomkamp confirms that new Alien movie will IGNORE Alien 3 and Resurrection and take place after Aliens. Hicks will likely be back, given he is in the concept art and (hopefully) Newt makes an appearance too.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/02/26/blomkamps-alien-movie-will-ignore-alien-3-and-resurrection
    Forum Member
    Blomkamp confirms that new Alien movie will IGNORE Alien 3 and Resurrection and take place after Aliens. Hicks will likely be back, given he is in the concept art and (hopefully) Newt makes an appearance too.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/02/26/blomkamps-alien-movie-will-ignore-alien-3-and-resurrection

This is the way to do it. ^^

I think a fun throwaway nod to Alien 3 would be to have Ripley say something about "a terrible dream (she) had in hypersleep....a prison" because she does actually say she had "a terrible dream in hypersleep" in Alien 3.

Given that Alien: Resurrection takes place 200 years into the future from the events of Aliens / Alien 3 or something, in theory, it wouldn't actually break the canon by remaining.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The new film might not have to ignore 3 & 4 as part of the series as such!, there are always ways around it to explain them even if the new film picks up shortly after the end of Aliens. 3 & 4 were of cause made (obviously) and so can hardly be ignored as not being part of the series in some respects unless they would have done a total series reboot with a totally new cast.

3 & 4 could reasonably be explained as some kind of detailed dream\nightmare Ripley had whilst in suspended status etc and wake up after the end of Resurrection coming out suspended status or in some space station hospital back in Earths orbit after getting back to Earth after the events following Aliens?. In other words 3 & 4 retain their status within the series, just now regarded as dream\ nightmares?. They could even use clips of both films (3 & 4) to show a dream\nightmare sequence whilst in deep status or in a space station hospital.

Many of us remember she had very strong dreams\nightmares during the start of Aliens, so 3 & 4 could be an expansion of those nightmares at the start on the new film to give some acceptance to 3 & 4 as films of the series even within a post Aliens reboot!.
    Forum Member
  • Alvar HansoAlvar Hanso Posts: 2,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brilliant news regarding the disregard of Alien 3 and 4 as much as I like Alien 3 and thought resurrection had some qualities to it

2 very vivid nightmares in a long hypersleep
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Can't help but feel it's an awful idea, both flogging a dead horse and playing straight into the hands of fans. Ignore Alien 3 all you like, but despite its good intentions, it showed that after the gung-ho Aliens there was sadly no going back to the initial supernatural eerieness of Alien. I understand all these films are meant to be different, but by jettisoning that element the whole series threw away the strongest card in its hand.

"It's a Freudian nightmare. That element to me is what is so appealing," said Blomkamp. "To try to put the audience on the edge of their seat, in a traditional 'monster stalking you in a dark corridor way".

It's a bit of a blow to fans of the sequels, but it's hard to argue against taking Alien back to its horror roots. After all, there's a reason why the sound of that motion tracker still sends chills up our spines so many years later.
    Blomkamp's forte seems to be clumsy parables stuffed full of nerdy tech. Does he have the directorial skill to put us on the edge of our seats? We'll see, I suppose.

A total rethink/reboot from the ground up would've been preferable.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    dave9946 wrote: »
    The new film might not have to ignore 3 & 4 as part of the series as such!, there are always ways around it to explain them even if the new film picks up shortly after the end of Aliens. 3 & 4 were of cause made (obviously) and so can hardly be ignored as not being part of the series in some respects unless they would have done a total series reboot with a totally new cast.

3 & 4 could reasonably be explained as some kind of detailed dream\nightmare Ripley had whilst in suspended status etc and wake up after the end of Resurrection coming out suspended status or in some space station hospital back in Earths orbit after getting back to Earth after the events following Aliens?. In other words 3 & 4 retain their status within the series, just now regarded as dream\ nightmares?. They could even use clips of both films (3 & 4) to show a dream\nightmare sequence whilst in deep status or in a space station hospital.

Many of us remember she had very strong dreams\nightmares during the start of Aliens, so 3 & 4 could be an expansion of those nightmares at the start on the new film to give some acceptance to 3 & 4 as films of the series even within a post Aliens reboot!.
    It was all a dream. A writer's get out clause! :D
  • HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    JCR wrote: »

Is Sigourney Weaver onboard?
  • HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member