Options

First look at Jenna Coleman as Victoria

13»

Comments

• Options
    POTDPOTD Posts: 9,910
    Forum Member
    iaindb wrote: »
    Not sure they made much effort to make Jenna look like the 19 year old Victoria other than give her contact lenses to make her brown eyes look blue.

But it does seem like quite a bit of dramatic licence has been taken with Victoria's story. Today's Scottish Sunday Post has a 2-page article on the historical accuracy of the programme comparing the "reel" with the "real" (clever) and it seems inadvisable to use the programme as the basis for an A-level essay on QV. I'm thinking writer Daisy Goodwin may have only got a D in O-level history.:D

Artistic licence has been taken, but then there is no definitive history of the period. The TV series is based on the book and research of AN Wilson who's a respected writer of history
  • Options
    TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    POTD wrote: »
    Artistic licence has been taken, but then there is no definitive history of the period. The TV series is based on the book and research of AN Wilson who's a respected writer of history

Yes, it's 'based on' which means they can really do what they like as long as it bears some vague resemblance to the source, like changing a relationship between Victoria and Lord Melbourne presumably to sex it up for viewers who wouldn't understand a girl who grew up without a father, was pitch forked into huge responsibility at 18 and has an elderly charmer as a prime minister would rely on him for advice and to show her the ropes rather than pursue him rabidly because of a crush.
    They've invented events like the melting candle wax and ignored the break ins and lost chimney boys which did happen.
    The trouble is you can't trust whatever happens on the screen because you don't know what's genuine and what's just been made up by the writers.
  • Options
    pferreirapferreira Posts: 338
    Forum Member
    Mulett wrote: »
    They never bettered Oswin Oswald for me. Such early promise, all ruined. A great shame.
    I like Clara as a character but Moffat did mess up a bit. The Impossible Girl storyline had so much potential to develop past Season 7 and should have reoccurred throughout 8 and 9. Moffat sort of just decided to forget about the whole thing after Season 7 as though he thought viewer attention spans would get bored of this character arc.

Continuity wise it makes no sense that they never refer to it again as Clara is fragmented all over the Doctor's timeline and should be showing up to help him again and again. They could have done an episode where a bounty hunter is sent after Clara because of her reputation for altering history due to helping the Doctor when he's in need.

Such lost potential.
  • Options
    GeordieDancerGeordieDancer Posts: 183
    Forum Member
    Anyone still watching this? Prince Albert is becoming more irritating with every scene he's in. Maybe that's my modern sensibilities speaking, but I much prefer his elder brother. David Oakes is a joy to watch!
  • Options
    ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    Anyone still watching this? Prince Albert is becoming more irritating with every scene he's in. Maybe that's my modern sensibilities speaking, but I much prefer his elder brother. David Oakes is a joy to watch!

I haven't watched today's episode yet but I'm really loving this and I'm loving Albert :)
  • Options
    SalcySalcy Posts: 4,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thrombin wrote: »
    I haven't watched today's episode yet but I'm really loving this and I'm loving Albert :)

I've been watching this, but I must admit, I have been less engaged since Rufus Sewell went, even though Albert is an utterly beautiful specimen of a man!

I thought Jenna was great throughout. I don't know how they are going to drag it out to another series though and the servants were boring and pointless right to the end. But onto the Crown next :D
  • Options
    POTDPOTD Posts: 9,910
    Forum Member

Ernest (and Melbourne) may have obvious charm, but Albert has something that clearly appeals to Victoria

In a way he's who she needs rather than the "easy option" of someone who's charming, but will give in to her, Albert brings his own serious perspective to things which clearly was very useful for Victoria's reign