Options

Solo Gary Barlow VS Solo Geri Halliwell

Comments

• Options
    konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Whilst I agree that Gary's song-writing for Take That is quite excellent (only one or two duffers in the early days - well he was young) I find his body of work outside of Take That forgettable at best (or best forgotten even). It seems almost as if he needs those other guys as much as they need him - they're his 'muses' if you like!

He's absolutely no good at spotting/nurturing talent either. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    Geri has better legs.
  • Options
    dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what did geri get an Ivor Novello for? tried to search but cant find it
  • Options
    gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dodger0703 wrote: »
    what did geri get an Ivor Novello for? tried to search but cant find it

she won them as part of the spice girls in 1997 for "wannabe".:D
  • Options
    _Magnum__Magnum_ Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    Its funny how Geri didn't have the voice but had the X Factor to be a solo artist

Gary on the other hand has the voice but doesn't have the X Factor to be a solo artist.
  • Options
    sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    _Magnum_ wrote: »

Gary on the other hand has the voice but doesn't have the X Factor to be a solo artist.
    Do you think it could have something to do with the 'boss-eyes'?
  • Options
    iamstrongiamstrong Posts: 867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Beyoncé trumps them both :D
  • Options
    dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you think it could have something to do with the 'boss-eyes'?

ha ha ha, I love that expression :D
  • Options
    kenny12kenny12 Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sweet7 wrote: »
    LOL he's just talking out his arse. He can't be serious. Gary Barlow is so much more credible in the UK than Geri who is pretty much irrelevant.

Take That managed 8 nights at Wembley Stadium on their latest tour. If the Spice Girls were to match this capacity they would have to have sell out the O2 over 30 times.

Gaz Barlow and his dancers are pretty popular within the UK. However The Spice Girls sell out venues that Take That would never be able to.. Madison Square Gardens, NYC, Stales Centre, Las Vegas etc...

Global phenomenon.

Gary is so much more 'credoble that Geri and Gary are both doing the same job right now - judging on a prime-time taent show (X Factor UK and Australia's Got Talent) :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,989
    Forum Member
    kenny12 wrote: »
    Gaz Barlow and his dancers are pretty popular within the UK. However The Spice Girls sell out venues that Take That would never be able to.. Madison Square Gardens, NYC, Stales Centre, Las Vegas etc...

Global phenomenon.

Gary is so much more 'credoble that Geri and Gary are both doing the same job right now - judging on a prime-time taent show (X Factor UK and Australia's Got Talent) :rolleyes:

Yeah they were a global phenomenon, well over a decade ago whilst Take That still sell out multiple stadiums and continue to release very successful albums and singles.. Geri isn't even the most credible member of The Spice Girls let alone be taking on other artists and bands
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Global phenomenon.

So I guess my K-pop faves are global phenomenons too, since they also sold out Madison Square Garden, Staples Centre etc. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy7wLcL_IU0
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gpk wrote: »
    unfortunately, i sense that the thread is somewhat meant to be serious.:D ever since geri launched her desperate attempt to become a x factor judge, relations haven't been good between the spice fans and the take that fans.

her previous guest judging stint on the show would have put even the least self respecting celebrities off ever returning to the show, but of course, all geri could see was the potential of renewed interest.:o gary and geri had a frosty exchange of views on screen and he has subsequently made a few catty remarks following her second panned judging appearance. i suspect that some of the die hard geri fans are holding onto a grudge because of this.;)

You're not quite hitting the spot - though I will say this, Geri never makes outright nasty comments about other acts, she never did it when the Spices were going solo even though a number of memebers were catty towards her - she would simply respond with lines such as "i love her video" or "her new song is really cool".
    Or like when Rob made some pretty weird and nasty comments about her, she never said a word in retaliation. it's just not her style.

Gary's comments about Geri on The X Factor were just unnecessary and pretty vile. That's just not Geris bag, I know which course of action I find more admirable...
    Also it's ironic that for all his bile, it's hilarious that Gary's credibility has taken a nose dive since appearing on the UK X Factor wheras Geri has been one of the biggest and most popular draws to AGT!

Gary's hostility stem from a place from years gone by, he was always sour that The Spice Girls got an Ivor Novelo and was livid that they cracked America when Take That couldn't manage the same.
    His bitterness increased last year when the Spice Girls stole the show at the Olympics.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah they were a global phenomenon, well over a decade ago whilst Take That still sell out multiple stadiums and continue to release very successful albums and singles.. Geri isn't even the most credible member of The Spice Girls let alone be taking on other artists and bands

I thought you had given up? :confused:

Take That are an active group.

The Spice Girls are not an active group.

There is no reasonable comparison.

However, in terms of solo success, Gaz B flopped like a wet kipper whilst Geri has sold 12 million records as a solo act...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    he was always sour that The Spice Girls got an Ivor Novelo and was livid that they cracked America

erm, he clocked up a 3 ivor novelo awards before the spice girls came on the scene and take that had a top 10 billboard hit with "back for good"....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought you had given up? :confused:

Take That are an active group.

The Spice Girls are not an active group.

However, in terms of solo success, Gaz B flopped like a wet kipper whilst Geri has sold 12 million records as a solo act...
    And Beyoncé Giselle Knowles-Carter sold 118 million records as a solo artist and 60 million with Destiny's Child. She wins :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

for once i am in complete agreement with you.:p

didn't we pretty much establish in the other thread that geri's record sales in the uk were over exaggerated? the uk was by far her most successful territory too.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    erm, he clocked up a 3 ivor novelo awards before the spice girls came on the scene and take that had a top 10 billboard hit with "back for good"....

Yes... He was still , for some reason, very sour when The Spice girls won their first Ivor Novelo ... superiority complex?

And are you really going to try to compare the phenomenal success of The Spice Girls in America to the non-impact of Take That?

Come on now. Talk sense.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't we pretty much establish in the other thread that geri's record sales in the uk were over exaggerated? the uk was by far her most successful territory too.:D

No, Ger has sold 12 million records worldwide as a solo act.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes... He was still , for some reason, very sour when The Spice girls won their first Ivor Novelo ... superiority complex?

And are you really going to try to compare the phenomenal success of The Spice Girls in America to the non-impact of Take That?

i suspect like with your claims of him being "livid" at their us success, you don't really know that for sure.:D how many ivor's did the spice girls win again and for how many songs exactly?:D
    Come on now. Talk sense.

oh the irony.:eek:
    No,

well actually we did....
    So I asked for a run down of her UK solo sales stats, as recent and accurate as possible.

Look At Me: 318,000
    Mi Chico Latino: 376,000
    Lift Me Up: 342,000
    Bag It Up: 255,000
    It's Raining Men: 423,000
    Scream If You Wanna Go Faster: 81,000
    Calling: 71,000
    Ride It: 53,000
    Desire: 13,000

Total UK Single Sales: 1,932,000

Schizophonic: 483,853
    Scream If You Wanna Go Faster: 155,000
    Passion: 8,949

Total UK Album Sales: 647,802

Total UK Record Sales: 2,579,802

Not quite 3 Million then, as I was told before. :o

:D
    Ger has sold 12 million records worldwide as a solo act.

prove it.:p
  • Options
    amanda daisyamanda daisy Posts: 416
    Forum Member
    I can't even believe this thread is serious.
    You keep talking about sales numbers and youtube views, when the question is quite simple: whose songs are still being played after all these years? I'm not from UK and I can assure you Take That are played on the radio in my country a lot more than Spice Girls and certainly a lot more than Geri. I think only two or three of her singles were played when they first came out. Nobody has heard anything from her since then. And nobody even knows here that Spice Girls had a reunion tour. On paper, things always look bigger than they really are.
    No normal person cares how many albums an artist sold; what's important is whether they remember the artist's name or body of work and what exactly they remember about it. Geri may be known by some people, but for all the wrong reasons - just like the Spice Girls' olympic performance video. I read the comments; more than half of them are mocking the group, while over 90% of the comments on Take That's performance at the Closing Ceremony are complimentary. There are lots of videos with more views on youtube, but that doesn't mean the quality of the performance is any good. Since when do numbers=quality?
    I can ask any person in my country if they know who Gary Barlow is and, even if they don't necessarily remember his name, as soon as I mention Take That, they go: "oh, he's the talented one". That's what his name is related to: talent and respect.
    You also keep talking about his "solo" career. He had 2 albums: one did very very well and the other one wasn't even given the chance to do well, as Robbie and the media were bent on crushing him. And even so, Forever Love is one of the favorite songs, after all this time, for ladies' weddings, which means the song has a deep meaning for a lot of people. The second time around, his solo gigs have been a smash: a completely sold-out tour in a matter of minutes, a no.1 bestseller dvd, demand after demand for his solo performances. You can deny it as much as you want, but he's no different as a solo artist than he is in Take That; it's only some people who refuse to see that. In Take That, it's still the same man singing the same songs written by himself; it's still him the one with the most energy on stage and getting the crowds going. If you're such a fan of the numbers, then take a look at TT members' followers numbers: Mark and Howard have around 60.000 followers, while Gary has over 3 millions. What does that tell you? Is Gary's success due to Take That or is Take That's success due to Gary, since most of the fans are his fans? While Gary had no problem selling his solo tour, Mark had to almost give tickets for free for some club gigs.
    If anything, Gary's solo performances of the same songs are even more beautiful than the ones in TT, probably because he doesn't have to worry about overshadowing the other boys. The best versions of Rule the World were the ones he gave alone for Concert for Care, BBC Radio 2Day, the ones on his solo tour dedicated to his daughter, Poppy, etc. His vocals on his second solo album were a lot more beautiful than the ones on the TT albums. If one does not appreciate the songs, they should, at least, recognize how beautiful his vocals and backing vocals on his solo albums are. Lie to Me- which, by the way, was considered by critiques his best song in the 90s (which again shows he wasn't given the opportunity to have a solo career)- saw one of the best live performances ever. If one didn't know it was live, you could have easily believed it was a studio version, that's how perfect he sounded. If people gave him a chance, they'd see for themselves that, in lots of aspects, Take That are restrictive for Gary and stop him from using his potential to its full. He's the best when he takes leads and the others act as backing vocals; when he's sharing leads, he's immediately limited by the others.
    The main distinction between Gary and Geri - other than the general fact that he's talented and she's not- is that events organizers aren't afraid to ask Gary to perform live, because they know he always delivers. As Elton John pointed before their duet on Sacrifice, he's one of your country's best singers: with a 4 octaves vocal range, going from C2/D2 to D6 and with an exceptional control of his voice, he ranges with the best and it's an insult to even compare him to Geri.
    Don't get me wrong, I think she's nice as a person and, as both of them have said, they have been good friends for a very long time - back in the 90s, Gary was Geri's crush. I just don't rate her much as an artist. As for X factor, it was all good banter and Geri was the one who started it all. Don't try making her look like a victim, because she wasn't one. She got as good as she gave.
    You may want to believe, on this forum, that everybody hates Gary on X Factor, but reality is very different to what you're all discussing here. The producers have been desperate to sign him all these years and, every single time he makes an appearance the crowds go wild for him. And it's not just with X Factor. It happens everywhere.
    There were thousands of people waiting for him at 4a.m in the morning, when he did Fab 1Million this year; thousands of people, again, bought tickets just to see him in Blackpool a few days ago, with less than 24h notice, when The Script had hardly sold any tickets before. There are countless examples to prove how wrong you are about people's perception of Gary. I don't know how Geri is faring on her own show, cause I didn't even know, before reading it on this forum, that she was doing a talent show, but I doubt that, no matter how nice and loved by people she is, she brings any credibility. If there's one constant critique Gary gets from people is that he is too good for X Factor and shouldn't stoop to that level, which only reinforces how credible he is as an artist.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

well actually we did....

Those are her UK sales stats. I was speaking of her global sales..
    prove it.:p

Geri has sold 12-15 million records as a solo artist.

The BBC Reports her worldwide total as of 2013 to be 15 million, countless other sources range from 12 - 15 Mill.

Geri's 2013 BBC Bio
  • Options
    RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I met her at a charity show once...and found her very standoffish and pompous.

There, I've said it.

Not met The Barlow though...so it's hard to compare.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RikScot wrote: »
    I met her at a charity show once...and found her very standoffish and pompous.

There, I've said it.

Not met The Barlow though...so it's hard to compare.

Which Charity Event?
  • Options
    RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which Charity Event?

Children's Charity I used to work with...back in late 90's early noughties I think.

Met loads of people in my time there, and she was the only one I never took to. May just have been a bad day, but still.
  • Options
    sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    If people gave him a chance, they'd see for themselves that, in lots of aspects, Take That are restrictive for Gary and stop him from using his potential to its full. He's the best when he takes leads and the others act as backing vocals; when he's sharing leads, he's immediately limited by the others.
    So are you suggesting that he doesn't need the other three (or four if you count Williams)? If you are then I must beg to differ. Had Gary offered to do the Blackpool performance in say - 2004 (before the reunion) I doubt anyone would have bought tickets (in fact his offer would most probably have been thrown back in his face - if he'd dared to offer). Gary Barlow relied on the personalities of the other three guys to be 'brought in from the cold' as it were. His present success is down 100% to those other three saying 'Yes' when the reunion was suggested. In fact - he STILL needs them now as far as song-writing is concerned because as far as I can see - the only decent songs he's written have been those for the group. His offerings for other people have been awful - John Barrowman, Alesha Dixon, Katherine Jenkins, Matt Cardle, anyone remember those classics?

As for credibility - of course Gary Barlow is more credible than Geri Halliwell - but then again - I'd probably say Orville the Duck was more credible than Geri. Solo - apart from any 'charity' outings then probably Geri has sold more solo than Barlow (even though all her songs were sh/te).
This discussion has been closed.