Options

John Barrowman says "certain egos" are blocking Torchwood's return

Comments

• Options
    Lord SmexyLord Smexy Posts: 2,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But Torchwood did work for tv. It went from an experiment put on bbc three, to being upgraded to bbc two off the back of the success of series one, to then, after the success of both series being deemed so successful that it was worthy of clearing the bbc one 9pm slot for an entire week to have a five night event series.

Yes, we all know after that it was let down badly by miracle day, but one bad/badly received series doesn't discredit an entire show. If that were the case, doctor who itself would likely have been cancelled many times over.

If they announced a new series tomorrow, completely produced and set in wales, without any mention of miracle day in it, then it would still never convince those such as yourself who didn't think much of it first time around, but I think those who did like it enough to make it so successful first time around would be interested to see it back, and would support it as such.

Viewing figures were never anything spectacular between the first group of episodes and CoE, and besides that series, the reception, from both critics and audiences, was usually rather mixed. Miracle Day had decent viewing figures, but apparently the mixed reception for that wasn't good enough to keep confidence in it. If it wasn't for the show's attachment to Doctor Who, I don't think it would have fared well at all.

I do believe that if there are difficulties in getting the show back up, it's mostly due to a lack of confidence in it. As DODS11 one, Torchwood had its time, and while I wouldn't rule out its return as impossible, I'd prefer to look forward rather than back. I look forward to seeing how Class turns out, as well as any more possible DW spin-offs in the future.
  • Options
    allen_whoallen_who Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/torchwood/news/a807499/john-barrowman-egos-blocking-torchwood-return/

So when Barrowman was talking about certain egos in the BBC im presuming they have a problem with Gays playing a gay character on TV. He mentioned obstacles keep getting in the way when he has a way around it and it sounds like there is some prejudice in then office.

I dont know why they wont bring it back, its a enjoyable show, and alot of fans enjoy it, I know id prefer it over this class spinoff but Captain Jack has been absent from who in such a long time and he really should have made a appearance in Matt Smith's tenure.

Wow, thats a seismic leap from what he has actually said. Can see how rumours start...
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »

I do wonder whose ego John Barrowman is referring to -

What he says in the linked video (Post 18) makes it pretty clear.
  • Options
    doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,340
    Forum Member
    Taking viewing figures alone, the way Torchwood has always been treated is very strange.

1/ Season 1 (shown on BBC3 in 2006/7) averaged 1.4m viewers.
    2/ Season 2 (shown on BBC2 in 2008) averaged 3.78m viewers.
    3/ Season 3 (Children of Earth show over five consecutive nights on BBC1 in 2009) 6.47m viewers - also, importantly, there were no peaks-and-troughs throughout the week. It maintained those viewing figures across all five days.
    4/ Miracle Day (shown on BBC1 in 2011) averaged 5.2m viewers.

Firstly it seems incredible that - even by BBC standards - season 3 (Children of Earth) was a hit and yet the BBC declined to fully-fund the next season forcing that unfortunate co-production with the U.S. premium network Starz.

Secondly, even though Miracle Day was not as critically acclaimed as Children of Earth it still did well in terms of viewing figures. So why was it effectively axed?

I do wonder whose ego John Barrowman is referring to - an individual/s or 'corporate types' more generally at the BBC. Also, I would trust him to call out homophobia so I don't think its that as I feel he would have said so.

All in all, Torchwood is a show that moved from BBC3 to BBC2 and then BBC1 because someone at the BBC could see its potential and quickly growing viewership, There's no way a commercial channel would treat a show like Torchwood as badly as this.
    Agree with everything here, and it's nice to see those figures to prove how it's popularity grew in those first three series.
    Lord Smexy wrote: »
    Viewing figures were never anything spectacular between the first group of episodes and CoE, and besides that series, the reception, from both critics and audiences, was usually rather mixed. Miracle Day had decent viewing figures, but apparently the mixed reception for that wasn't good enough to keep confidence in it. If it wasn't for the show's attachment to Doctor Who, I don't think it would have fared well at all.

I do believe that if there are difficulties in getting the show back up, it's mostly due to a lack of confidence in it. As DODS11 one, Torchwood had its time, and while I wouldn't rule out its return as impossible, I'd prefer to look forward rather than back. I look forward to seeing how Class turns out, as well as any more possible DW spin-offs in the future.
    If teen shows are 'the future' of doctor who spin off's and Torchwood is the past, then i'll quite happily stay in the past (just like anyone who says or implies that modern who should be more like classic who does). Besides, something is only 'in the past' because it's been off air for a while. I'm sure when RTD was bringing back doctor who plenty of people would have sniggered and wondered the point of bringing back an old relic from days gone by that had it's day, but that turned out pretty well.
  • Options
    The AmazingThe Amazing Posts: 1,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought when everything went back to normal that included jack being back to being immortal..
    If the Face of Boe thing has any merit, I'd conclude that Jack does age albeit veeeerrry slowly.

OR

You just have a throwaway line that explains any aging, much like the 5th Doctor in Time Crash.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If the Face of Boe thing has any merit, I'd conclude that Jack does age albeit veeeerrry slowly.

OR

You just have a throwaway line that explains any aging, much like the 5th Doctor in Time Crash.
    To be honest, if Torchwood, was brought back tomorrow, I don't think there would need to be any sort of explanation. Just like the tenth doctor in the 50th, Barrowman hasn't aged enough since the last series of Torchwood to require an explanation. He still looks the same to me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    double post :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree with everything here, and it's nice to see those figures to prove how it's popularity grew in those first three series.

If teen shows are 'the future' of doctor who spin off's and Torchwood is the past, then i'll quite happily stay in the past (just like anyone who says or implies that modern who should be more like classic who does). Besides, something is only 'in the past' because it's been off air for a while. I'm sure when RTD was bringing back doctor who plenty of people would have sniggered and wondered the point of bringing back an old relic from days gone by that had it's day, but that turned out pretty well.

The Sarah Jane Adventures was a children's/teen show and that didn't turn out so bad. It certainly handled far more mature content than those first two series of Torchwood did, which seem to me they were unintentionally written as a teen show.

I'm glad Doctor Who came back, but I don't think Torchwood was ever on the same level. Doctor Who was a beloved show and a part of pop culture back before things started getting nasty, but Torchwood never knew that much appreciation and fanfare. As far as I see it, it had its chance, and TV has moved on. Like its parent show, if it was to come back it would have to start off as a very different show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Sarah Jane Adventures was a children's/teen show and that didn't turn out so bad. It certainly handled far more mature content than those first two series of Torchwood did, which seem to me they were unintentionally written as a teen show.
    Sarah Jane seemed specifically for children. The difference with class is that it's aimed specifically at teens which, in my opinion is the age where people are least likely to be interested in who and/or spin off's. Children love who. Many adults do too, but with teens, there's a period of 'too cool for that'. The only exception to that would have been teens in 2005 when it was the hot new thing.

Just because Torchwood over egged the sex stuff in the first half of series one at most, I don't think that is in any way strong enough to claim it more childish than the kiddies show that was SJA.
    I'm glad Doctor Who came back, but I don't think Torchwood was ever on the same level. Doctor Who was a beloved show and a part of pop culture back before things started getting nasty, but Torchwood never knew that much appreciation and fanfare. As far as I see it, it had its chance, and TV has moved on. Like its parent show, if it was to come back it would have to start off as a very different show.

I'm not claiming Torchwood has a 'who like' reputation, but at the same time, it never had as long to achieve that either. What I am saying is that the ratings and actions of the bbc in upgrading it's channel status during those first three series show that it was popular, and did have it's own amount of appreciation and fanfare, which for some, continues to this day. This is only my own anecdotal experience, but I remember back in the day having to defend who against people claiming that Torchwood was the cooler show because of it's adult angle.

I really don't understand why you can't acknowledge that something you don't like has a fanbase. I hate Clara for example but I understand, acknowledge, and don't try to deny that she has a fanbase amongst some people.

Also, 5 years is not 26 years. Torchwood could come back in the same vein as those first three series fine now, just as doctor who could have easily picked up exactly where it left off had someone resurrected in in 1994.
  • Options
    GDKGDK Posts: 9,478
    Forum Member
    Taking viewing figures alone, the way Torchwood has always been treated is very strange.

1/ Season 1 (shown on BBC3 in 2006/7) averaged 1.4m viewers.
    2/ Season 2 (shown on BBC2 in 2008) averaged 3.78m viewers.
    3/ Season 3 (Children of Earth show over five consecutive nights on BBC1 in 2009) 6.47m viewers - also, importantly, there were no peaks-and-troughs throughout the week. It maintained those viewing figures across all five days.
    4/ Miracle Day (shown on BBC1 in 2011) averaged 5.2m viewers.

Firstly it seems incredible that - even by BBC standards - season 3 (Children of Earth) was a hit and yet the BBC declined to fully-fund the next season forcing that unfortunate co-production with the U.S. premium network Starz.

Secondly, even though Miracle Day was not as critically acclaimed as Children of Earth it still did well in terms of viewing figures. So why was it effectively axed?

I do wonder whose ego John Barrowman is referring to - an individual/s or 'corporate types' more generally at the BBC. Also, I would trust him to call out homophobia so I don't think its that as I feel he would have said so.

All in all, Torchwood is a show that moved from BBC3 to BBC2 and then BBC1 because someone at the BBC could see its potential and quickly growing viewership, There's no way a commercial channel would treat a show like Torchwood as badly as this.
    Those viewing figures are quite impressive.

Wasn't the real reason it didn't continue was that RTD's personal, real life issues were intervening? The serious Illness of his partner? With those audience figures there should have been some interest from the execs in continuing it, but without RTD at the helm? Not so much.

Maybe Starz didn't get the audience size they wanted, and the BBC wouldn't fund it alone, especially without RTD.

Granted RTD has been back in television for a few years now, so if he was interested in doing it again it should be possible. Perhaps he's moved on? Perhaps he feels it would be inappropriate to try to revive his spin-off while someone else is running Doctor Who? This would apply to both SM and CC.

Perhaps he blew up the base and killed off most of the characters because he wanted to end it?

Perhaps comments from JB and EM should be taken with a pinch of salt too? He's just an actor touting for more work after all. JB and EM are successful and have plenty of work at the moment, but that can easily change.

I really do think that it's the lack of desire from RTD that's preventing a Torchwood revival.
  • Options
    DODS11DODS11 Posts: 2,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Doctor Who was a fondly remembered institution with a longstanding history.

Torchwood had 4 series and never really conquered who they were actually aiming for. Series 1 is an absolute mess. Series 2 kind of works itself out but is still a very mixed bag (Spike from Buffy & Jack's brother, christ that was a tough watch). Series 3 was a masterpiece, all down to brilliant writing and production (even Barrowman's "acting" couldn't spoil what was a brilliant story). I'm not even going to get started on Series 4 because while nobody could die in that series, I certainly felt brain dead about 3 episodes in.

Torchwood is a product of its time. Sure it could come back but I honestly don't see who'd really want it. Sure there's a fandom out there but it's hardly as wide reaching as Doctor Who was. The generation who have grown up with post 2010 Doctor Who probably don't even remember Torchwood that well.

Focus on the future, don't wallow in the past. That's a mantra that Doctor Who really needs to go forward with. And it looks as if that's what they're aiming for with Class.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DODS11 wrote: »
    Doctor Who was a fondly remembered institution with a longstanding history.
    which it had 26 years to achieve

Torchwood is a product of its time. Sure it could come back but I honestly don't see who'd really want it. Sure there's a fandom out there but it's hardly as wide reaching as Doctor Who was. The generation who have grown up with post 2010 Doctor Who probably don't even remember Torchwood that well.
    People who buy the audio's, people who buy books/comics, the still existing tochwood fandom who may not be interested in any spin off media but would dash to watch a new series on tv.

Focus on the future, don't wallow in the past. That's a mantra that Doctor Who really needs to go forward with. And it looks as if that's what they're aiming for with Class.
    This future/ past stuff can change like that. if in two three years time, we were in a situation where class was a one series flop that was already half forgotten, and Torchwood was getting a new series, then Torchwood would be the future, helped in popularity by it's history as doctor who was. In that example, you may have been someone who enjoyed Class, and made it known on here that you wanted it to have a second series, and I would be the one saying it had it's chance, look to the future etc.

The difference between the two at the moment is, we know that Torchwood had it's chance and used it well, and proved itself to many, to the extent that it still has a fanbase enough that it could make a return. It's yet to be seen whether class will have a fanbase at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sarah Jane seemed specifically for children. The difference with class is that it's aimed specifically at teens which, in my opinion is the age where people are least likely to be interested in who and/or spin off's. Children love who. Many adults do too, but with teens, there's a period of 'too cool for that'. The only exception to that would have been teens in 2005 when it was the hot new thing.

Just because Torchwood over egged the sex stuff in the first half of series one at most, I don't think that is in any way strong enough to claim it more childish than the kiddies show that was SJA.

As far as I can tell, there's still a large teen fandom for Doctor Who. Teens are probably the age range who watch the most television and these days have even more of an appreciation of sci-fi and fantasy again, to the point where most shows are gearing themselves toward that age range, so I'm not seeing the harm there.

Sorry, but SJA came across as a much more mature show for me. For what it was, it was a very well-written and grown up show. Torchwood initially didn't deal with mature topics much, and when it tried to it didn't handle it very well. It wasn't until Children of Earth it actually started to deal with some mature topics to me.
    I'm not claiming Torchwood has a 'who like' reputation, but at the same time, it never had as long to achieve that either. What I am saying is that the ratings and actions of the bbc in upgrading it's channel status during those first three series show that it was popular, and did have it's own amount of appreciation and fanfare, which for some, continues to this day. This is only my own anecdotal experience, but I remember back in the day having to defend who against people claiming that Torchwood was the cooler show because of it's adult angle.

If four series isn't enough time, then I don't think any amount is. I think it's more of a case of missing its chance than not not getting one.
    I really don't understand why you can't acknowledge that something you don't like has a fanbase. I hate Clara for example but I understand, acknowledge, and don't try to deny that she has a fanbase amongst some people.

I never said it doesn't have a fanbase. Please don't put words in my mouth or make up arguments again, it's become tiresome now and makes communication utterly pointless. I've acknowledged to you before that Torchwood does have a fanbase. It also wasn't bathing in adoration overall, which leads me to believe these "egos" who supposedly won't let the show come back don't have much faith in it.
    Also, 5 years is not 26 years. Torchwood could come back in the same vein as those first three series fine now, just as doctor who could have easily picked up exactly where it left off had someone resurrected in in 1994.

7 years since the last series that was well received, 8 years since it was still a full show with the lineup everybody remembers.

As you must remember, the attempt to bring back DW in the mid-90s wasn't exactly a success, and RTD didn't have an easy time of it either.
  • Options
    The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People have a problem with gays and Lesbiens these days it wouldnt suprise me if someone in the BBC didnt want Torchwood because of that.

As for the previous poster saying Barrowman didnt like Ecclestone I think its the other way around, Chris clashed with certain people I guess because hes a serious actor and wouldnt have as much fun as Tennant did.

I didnt like the US getting their own series it should have stayed in Britain.

Based on what information?
  • Options
    DODS11DODS11 Posts: 2,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_don1 wrote: »
    Based on what information?

Based on nothing.

Class is going to feature a lead gay character/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As far as I can tell, there's still a large teen fandom for Doctor Who. Teens are probably the age range who watch the most television and these days have even more of an appreciation of sci-fi and fantasy again, to the point where most shows are gearing themselves toward that age range, so I'm not seeing the harm there.

Sorry, but SJA came across as a much more mature show for me. For what it was, it was a very well-written and grown up show. Torchwood initially didn't deal with mature topics much, and when it tried to it didn't handle it very well. It wasn't until Children of Earth it actually started to deal with some mature topics to me.
    Have to agree to very much disagree there.

If four series isn't enough time, then I don't think any amount is. I think it's more of a case of missing its chance than not not getting one.
    My point was that it isn't as big as who because it didn't have the 26 years that who had. In the 4 years it did have, in the first three it fully used it's chance and continued to grow in popularity. The numbers prove that.

I never said it doesn't have a fanbase. Please don't put words in my mouth or make up arguments again, it's become tiresome now and makes communication utterly pointless. I've acknowledged to you before that Torchwood does have a fanbase. It also wasn't bathing in adoration overall, which leads me to believe these "egos" who supposedly won't let the show come back don't have much faith in it.

Well, considering the video posted earlier in the thread where Barrowman practically tells you which egotistical person he is referring to (the one who is 'leaving soon') I can very much believe that person has no faith in it, on the basis that he didn't create it. I also know that persons opinion will no longer matter very soon.

7 years since the last series that was well received, 8 years since it was still a full show with the lineup everybody remembers.

As you must remember, the attempt to bring back DW in the mid-90s wasn't exactly a success, and RTD didn't have an easy time of it either.
    The tv movie failed because it was rubbish, not because it had been too long to revive it.

RTD must have had a fair bit of work on his hands when he started, but he managed to bring it back, hugely successfully, after all those years.
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it' a bit harsh of JB to point the finger at Moffat! He's finishing off his Who era, 'Sherlock' is still a going concern and even though it's very much Patrick Ness's 'baby', he and Minchin must have a good degree of involvement in the forthcoming 'Class'. Maybe Barrowman thinks that a return for Torchwood is more likely considering Chibbers involvement in that series, but I imagine as far as Torchwood is concerned, Moffat would simply see it very much as RTD's area and nothing really to do with him....seeing as how Russell created it!
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    Corwin wrote: »
    What he says in the linked video (Post 18) makes it pretty clear.

Just watched it. Thank you. I have often wondered if this was the case.

I hope Chibnall's on board with the idea of Who spin-offs (old and new).

I know I've posted this comment before, but it does feel as though the Doctor Who universe has shrunk over the past six years - no spin offs, fewer episodes.

Oh, those heady golden years under RTD!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just watched it. Thank you. I have often wondered if this was the case.

I hope Chibnall's on board with the idea of Who spin-offs (old and new).

I know I've posted this comment before, but it does feel as though the Doctor Who universe has shrunk over the past six years - no spin offs, fewer episodes.

Oh, those heady golden years under RTD
    !
    Indeed. sometimes people 'look to the past' because it was better for them. But like you I'm also looking to the future, as in 2018. If anyone's going to revive Torchwood, you've think someone who was involved in it would be more likely. Even if not, I'd be happy with consistent who series every year, with decent finished arcs, and maybe, hopefully a Chibnall spin off more imaginative than a teen drama with aliens thrown in, which is what I expect class to be.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know whether RTD is interested in making a Torchwood revival?

If he's not, any such idea is dead in the water. If he was the one lobbying for it, the prospect would have much more credibility.

Have I missed something? Without RTDs involvement (or, as a minimum, his blessing) all this debate is academic at best.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GDK wrote: »

If he's not, any such idea is dead in the water. If he was the one lobbying for it, the prospect would have much more credibility.

Have I missed something? Without RTDs involvement (or, as a minimum, his blessing) all this debate is academic at best.

Post of the thread. Tochwood pops up every time JB opens his mouth, but its hardly worth talking about until RTD signals his intent as far as I'm concerned. Barrowman makes a lot of noise about a revival, but we hear little from those who would actually be responsible for bringing it back. He has made it sound as though hes just trying to so it himself.

If RTD is as done with DW as he says, I suspect Torchwood isnt a priority for him. The TV series definitely wasnt playing the long game - made bleeding obvious by the rapid killing of three out of five core characters.

I would quite like Stargate Universe to continue, but I can foresee certain obstacles needing to be overcome if I contacted MGM and tried to set it up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks CD93. I've been banging on about this (at least 3 posts I think) :), but no-one's paid any attention till your post.

Most on this thread seem to be intent on pursuing "classic vs new" or "SM vs RTD" (or even "Class vs Torchwood" !) debates without a shred of evidence to support Barrowman's claims about why it's not happening.

The most likely reason by far for it continuing to not happen is RTD's continued disinterest. Without his involvement any proposed revival lacks credibility in the eyes of the execs, despite the protestations of loyal fans.
  • Options
    Forum Member

It would certainly be interesting to hear his thoughts on the matter. Even if he said he wouldn't do it again then at least we'd know.

I personally think he'd probably be willing for the right price and full creative control.
  • Options
    dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member
    Thanks CD93. I've been banging on about this (at least 3 posts I think) :), but no-one's paid any attention till your post.

Most on this thread seem to be intent on pursuing "classic vs new" or "SM vs RTD" (or even "Class vs Torchwood" !) debates without a shred of evidence to support Barrowman's claims about why it's not happening.

The most likely reason by far for it continuing to not happen is RTD's continued disinterest. Without his involvement any proposed revival lacks credibility in the eyes of the execs, despite the protestations of loyal fans.

If I was going to persue a new vs Classic then Classic would win every time!
  • Options
    rioniarionia Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I doubt RTD is keen to do another TW series himself at the moment, but he is heavily involved in the TW audios (I was surprised just how much input he had into them, according to BF TW Q&As at recent conventions).

Also, based on the fan forums a lot of TW fans are buying the audios, even if they have never bought an audio drama before in their life!

TW also seems to have an evolving fan base, its not just people who watched it when it first aired, but also people who have discovered it in the ensuing years, either those who were DW fans but were too young to watch it at the time, or those who never watched DW at all, but have come across it online, or via its overseas repeats, or social media, or via a particular actor (some have followed JB from Arrow to TW).