Options

Rita Ora's career is DONE

Comments

• Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This feels so manufactured. Let's face it Rita has been massively flopping in the U.S.....didn't How We Do peak at like #67 or something...and all her other songs failed to take off. This is just her management doing something drastic in an attempt to get people talking about her, but I think it will backfire tbh. Kristen got a huge backlash for her cheating, and she's liked and has a large fanbase.

Nobody knows this Ora girl in America save for the times when she's been forced onto random programmes in an attempt to get people interested, so I don't think this is any good for her at all. She's so desperate for attention that maybe she'll even start trying to capitalise on this. :sleep:
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    sjp07 wrote: »
    i think playing college basketball and graduating from a top business school would be higher on the list than a celebrity dance show. but i guess we all have different definitions of success.

I agree, especially if he has a 2.1 or even first class honours (or are degree classifications different in the US?)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, especially if he has a 2.1 or even first class honours (or are degree classifications different in the US?)

a 2.1 is crap lol. we use a 4.0 scale. i think his gpa was over 3.5. our grading scale is like this

A-4
    B-3
    C-2
    D-1
    F-0
    take all your grades, add them up and divide by how many classes you have, that is your gpa.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dizagaox wrote: »
    I don't think Chris Brown's UK success has anything to do with him, but more people like his songs. I imagine most people dislike him as a person.

chris brown got his UK number 1 by selling just under 30K copies in the first week. even less than Rita's number 1
  • Options
    unknown17unknown17 Posts: 3,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yea, because jessie j isn't talented at all :rolleyes: <--that was extreme sarcasm

I wouldn't call that weird screaming she does a talent:eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    still overscreaming though

that's just a matter of taste i guess, but her songs kind of require it, so here is her just messing around http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v9Q37PfsD0&feature=my_liked_videos&list=LLyNbtYd3H9RccBOouxAhMDw

or singing rihanna's song, but you probably think this is over the top too (it is, but i like it and at least she isn't "overscreaming")
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X4pwCs28a0

you said she has no talent, that's different than saying you dont like the way she sings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and i almost forgot http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7iNvFeSLBA tragedy this wasn't on the album, the studio version is great
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and i almost forgot http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7iNvFeSLBA tragedy this wasn't on the album, the studio version is great

Let's switch back to Rita (wh)Ora.....what a delight this song is....don't you think? :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, just talked about this with my flatmates the convo last for like a min. They just really don't care because they don't care about the Kardashians or Rita. But they will still listen to her songs lol.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Let's switch back to Rita (wh)Ora.....what a delight this song is....don't you think? :p

i really hate that song lol. after i saw that one tweet, ive had r.i.p stuck in my head. i wonder how it would have sounded if rihanna didnt reject it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i really hate that song lol. after i saw that one tweet, ive had r.i.p stuck in my head. i wonder how it would have sounded if rihanna didnt reject it

Better. :)
  • Options
    FanFromHollandFanFromHolland Posts: 5,987
    Forum Member
    that's just a matter of taste i guess, but her songs kind of require it, so here is her just messing around http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v9Q37PfsD0&feature=my_liked_videos&list=LLyNbtYd3H9RccBOouxAhMDw

or singing rihanna's song, but you probably think this is over the top too (it is, but i like it and at least she isn't "overscreaming")
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X4pwCs28a0

you said she has no talent, that's different than saying you dont like the way she sings.

Neve said she had no talent though

Wanna hear my opinion about her?
    Here it is
    She has a good voice, hell a great voice! But she doesn't know how to use it. On studio recordings she sounds amazing because the producers etc. can help her.
    In live performance she shouts more than she sings, I don't know whether this is to show off or because she really doesn't know, but it's annoying, very annoying
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    unknown17 wrote: »
    I wouldn't call that weird screaming she does a talent:eek:

It drives me mad actually. She sounds like a cat trapped in a dog pound.
    a 2.1 is crap lol. we use a 4.0 scale. i think his gpa was over 3.5. our grading scale is like this

A-4
    B-3
    C-2
    D-1
    F-0
    take all your grades, add them up and divide by how many classes you have, that is your gpa.

A 2.1 is actually quite good. In my university it's the minimum requirement for most postgrads, but the one I'm doing requires a 2.2. Here in Ireland the grading system is:

<40% - fail
    40-49% - Ordinary (Pass) degree
    50-59% - second class honours, grade 2 (2.2 - that's what my undergrad is)
    60-69% - second class honours, grade 1 (2.1)
    70%+ - first class honours (1.1)
  • Options
    Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member

R.I.P. is such a good song. One of the biggest club hits of the year aswell.

I do kind of wish Rihanna did it though, since I would've liked the song to be a worldwide hit.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dizagaox wrote: »
    I don't think Chris Brown's UK success has anything to do with him, but more people like his songs. I imagine most people dislike him as a person.

So true. Most of my uni friends and I don't like him, but can't help but like his music.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It drives me mad actually. She sounds like a cat trapped in a dog pound.

A 2.1 is actually quite good. In my university it's the minimum requirement for most postgrads, but the one I'm doing requires a 2.2. Here in Ireland the grading system is:

<40% - fail
    40-49% - Ordinary (Pass) degree
    50-59% - second class honours, grade 2 (2.2 - that's what my undergrad is)
    60-69% - second class honours, grade 1 (2.1)
    70%+ - first class honours (1.1)

2.1 isn't great here. not bad, but it isnt something to strive for. just to get into most colleges you have to have at least a 3.0, especially in California(where I live) 2.0 is just enough to play sports, but no one would be happy about it. there are some scholarships where you have to maintain a 3.5.
    for us it usually goes
    100%-90 A
    89-80 B
    79-70 C
    69-60 D
    59%or below F

it can depend on the teacher, though because they can give minus and plus grades. at my college, if you get an A- it's a 3.75 instead of a 4 and a B+ is a 3.5 instead of a 3.5.

Everyone loves a B+, but we all hate A-s. Only because if you were supposed to get a B then it's cool to get a +, but if you get a 90%, you want an A instead of an A-. minus and plus grades go like this if they do them

My first semester of college I had 5 As and an A minus and I was pissed because it dropped my GPA from a 4.0 to a 3.96
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think a lot of people are really overestimating Rob here, hes literally the Kardashian who nobody cares about lol. Also, let's not forget how he cheated on Adrienne Bailon
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think a lot of people are really overestimating Rob here, hes literally the Kardashian who nobody cares about lol. Also, let's not forget how he cheated on Adrienne Bailon

I think most of the public deeply care about the entire Kardashian family tbh.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Stally wrote: »
    So true. Most of my uni friends and I don't like him, but can't help but like his music.

I hear his music so much at my uni aswell. Nobody really talks about him as a person, so I don't know if people like him or not, but I hear his songs so much, especially Look At Me Now. I was drunk and trying to rap to it in the weekend. :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On topic, I saw Rita Ora support Coldplay. She tried hard to get the crowd going and to be fair, she did well enough considering she wasn't playing to her usual demographic. When I've seen her live on TV, her vocals haven't impressed me at all. She pushes her voice a lot which is a shame because I think she can sing.

I think ultimately, she'll get categorised (rightly or wrongly) as a sub-standard Rihanna and probably won't last that long or at least won't break the US. The record company are part to blame for allowing her (or pushing her as the case may be) to have an image that resembles Rihanna so much. I know when I see her I immediately think of Rihanna when she had the long blonde hair, red lipstick and wore beanie hats. Of course, Rihanna didn't invent or trademark the look but it's one of her more striking images. If she can break the identikit Rihanna thing for the next album then maybe she has a chance.
    2.1 isn't great here. not bad, but it isnt something to strive for. just to get into most colleges you have to have at least a 3.0, especially in California(where I live) 2.0 is just enough to play sports, but no one would be happy about it. there are some scholarships where you have to maintain a 3.5.
    for us it usually goes
    100%-90 A
    89-80 B
    79-70 C
    69-60 D
    59%or below F

it can depend on the teacher, though because they can give minus and plus grades. at my college, if you get an A- it's a 3.75 instead of a 4 and a B+ is a 3.5 instead of a 3.5.

Everyone loves a B+, but we all hate A-s. Only because if you were supposed to get a B then it's cool to get a +, but if you get a 90%, you want an A instead of an A-. minus and plus grades go like this if they do them

My first semester of college I had 5 As and an A minus and I was pissed because it dropped my GPA from a 4.0 to a 3.96

A 2.1 GPA is completely different to achieving a second class honours (2.1) in an Irish/UK university. The latter would roughly translate into a GPA of anywhere from 3.1 to 3.6 (ish) depending on the percentage or grade achieved. Of course as you mentioned grading can vary from teacher to teacher and some universities have reputations for 'easy marking'. As well as that some courses have different pass/fail criteria, e.g., my friend studied medicine and her minimum pass mark was much higher than that for other degrees.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Waldstein wrote: »
    On topic, I saw Rita Ora support Coldplay. She tried hard to get the crowd going and to be fair, she did well enough considering she wasn't playing to her usual demographic. When I've seen her live on TV, her vocals haven't impressed me at all. She pushes her voice a lot which is a shame because I think she can sing.

I think ultimately, she'll get categorised (rightly or wrongly) as a sub-standard Rihanna and probably won't last that long or at least won't break the US. The record company are part to blame for allowing her (or pushing her as the case may be) to have an image that resembles Rihanna so much. I know when I see her I immediately think of Rihanna when she had the long blonde hair, red lipstick and wore beanie hats. Of course, Rihanna didn't invent or trademark the look but it's one of her more striking images. If she can break the identikit Rihanna thing for the next album then maybe she has a chance.

This. It's kind of sad she gets the Rihanna label, but since Rihanna had that look Rita gets the label, even though Rihanna didn't start it. It is just the same as now anyone with a dark bob and bangs(fringe) is said to look like Jessie J. She definitely didn't start the look and she has changed her hair more times in the past two years than I can count, but it has just become her thing. Until Rita can look and sound "original" she wont be taken seriously.
    A 2.1 GPA is completely different to achieving a second class honours (2.1) in an Irish/UK university. The latter would roughly translate into a GPA of anywhere from 3.1 to 3.6 (ish) depending on the percentage or grade achieved. Of course as you mentioned grading can vary from teacher to teacher and some universities have reputations for 'easy marking'. As well as that some courses have different pass/fail criteria, e.g., my friend studied medicine and her minimum pass mark was much higher than that for other degrees.
    oh, okay.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This. It's kind of sad she gets the Rihanna label, but since Rihanna had that look Rita gets the label, even though Rihanna didn't start it. It is just the same as now anyone with a dark bob and bangs(fringe) is said to look like Jessie J. She definitely didn't start the look and she has changed her hair more times in the past two years than I can count, but it has just become her thing. Until Rita can look and sound "original" she wont be taken seriously.

oh, okay.

I agree and unfortunately for Rita, her personality isn't as strong as Rihanna's so she can't really compete. This kind of thing always happens though with these artists with such phenomenal success. I mean look back ten years ago and there was a new Coldplay-clone every day, the same happened with Britpop, and even all the Take That pretenders in the '90's. Record companies see a good thing going and want a slice of that success. Invariably what happens is that there are a lot of good artists that get lost in the mix and never get the chance to stand on their own merits. I'm not exactly a Rita Ora fan but I think it'd be a shame if she suffers the same fate.
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rbautz wrote: »
    Can you explain for us in Europe what this Rob Kardashian character is?:confused:

Europe isn't a country you know. Where exactly are you. If you're in the UK and you haven't heard of him you must live in a cave. He's on E! Every Sunday night and it's repeated every day.