Options

Quick Now TV question

Captain StableCaptain Stable Posts: 2,243
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi Gang.
I've had a Now TV for a while now, but I use it mainly for catch up (iPlayer, ITV on Demand, All 4, etc etc), for streaming video from my laptop, and I've done the Sky Sports day pass a couple of times for F1.

I've thought about getting the Now TV package. £6.99 for a month. My question is possibly very stupid, (but if you don't ask, you never know.)

Is it 30 days from the day you subscribe, or for a month?

Say I did it today (11th April), will it still be valid on the 10th of May, where I can then choose to extend for another 30 days?

Comments

• Options
    richparrrichparr Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    Yes, you are correct, it's 30 days from when you start.

Game were doing 3 month passes for £15, may be worth considering if you plan on keeping the subscription going.
  • Options
    Captain StableCaptain Stable Posts: 2,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ohh - perfect! Thanks for the info.

I only really want it to watch Game of Thrones live at 2am, so 3 month is exactly what I need!
  • Options
    johnathomejohnathome Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ohh - perfect! Thanks for the info.

I only really want it to watch Game of Thrones live at 2am, so 3 month is exactly what I need!

Sky aren't participating in the 'worldwide' live showing as far as i know, they are showing it on the 13th at 9pm

http://www.sky.com/tv/show/game-of-thrones
  • Options
    arteseaartesea Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    Is it 30 days from the day you subscribe, or for a month?

Say I did it today (11th April), will it still be valid on the 10th of May, where I can then choose to extend for another 30 days?

It's a calendar month (not 30 days) so if you join at 16:47 on the 11th April, your pass expires (well auto renews unless cancelled in advance) at 16:47 on the 11th May.
  • Options
    Simon_MoreSimon_More Posts: 709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My fella was thinking about getting sky. He has a new TV but uses a free view recorder type box which is on its way out. Does the now TV have the major channels BBC1 ITV and the like. And does the box record like a hard drive box?
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Simon_More wrote: »
    My fella was thinking about getting sky. He has a new TV but uses a free view recorder type box which is on its way out. Does the now TV have the major channels BBC1 ITV and the like. And does the box record like a hard drive box?

The box doesn't record, you do get bbc iplayer, itv player, all4 and demand 5.
    Channels you get with entertainment pass from what i remember are sky1, gold, disney, nikleodeon, discovery, itv encore, fox, sky atlantic i think there are a couple of others i can't remember. You also get some on demand content from ABC.
    With sports pass you get sky sports 1-5, skysports news, skysports f1.
    With movie pass you get all of sky movie channels.
  • Options
    Simon_MoreSimon_More Posts: 709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gother wrote: »
    The box doesn't record, you do get bbc iplayer, itv player, all4 and demand 5.
    Channels you get with entertainment pass from what i remember are sky1, gold, disney, nikleodeon, discovery, itv encore, fox, sky atlantic i think there are a couple of others i can't remember. You also get some on demand content from ABC.
    With sports pass you get sky sports 1-5, skysports news, skysports f1.
    With movie pass you get all of sky movie channels.

Cheers mi dears think we will give it a miss we have Apple TV so stream catch up stuff. Might check the basic sky package and set up costs

Once again cheers
  • Options
    chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member
    Cheers mi dears think we will give it a miss we have Apple TV so stream catch up stuff. Might check the basic sky package and set up costs

It's much cheaper to use Freeview and have a NowTV box for the extra entertainment or movie channels, unless there's something you particularly want that isn't covered by those.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Once again cheers

Don't forget to check out sites like top cash back which are offering £126.00 cashback at the moment, in addition to Sky offering a £100 Tesco Vouchers or a Samsung Tablet.

Which if you use the Tesco Vouchers makes Sky about £30 (Original Bundle) for the 1st year with the cashback as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Don't forget to check out sites like top cash back which are offering £126.00 cashback at the moment, in addition to Sky offering a £100 Tesco Vouchers or a Samsung Tablet.

Which if you use the Tesco Vouchers makes Sky about £30 (Original Bundle) for the 1st year with the cashback as well.

Avoid topcashback they will pocket your money also you may find by speaking to sky direct say you're moving to them from virgin you could get offered 50% off for 12 months or 75% off for 12 months.
    Do not take a offer based on cashback if you want to risk it Quidco are the better option.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gother wrote: »
    Avoid topcashback they will pocket your money also you may find by speaking to sky direct say you're moving to them from virgin you could get offered 50% off for 12 months or 75% off for 12 months.
    Do not take a offer based on cashback if you want to risk it Quidco are the better option.

Never had a problem with topcashback or quidco, always paid out with no problems.

Both companies are not perfect and I have known people who have had problems with both, I haven't, so you need to balance your argument rather than just dismiss it.
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    Now tv app wont play on my android box for security reasons, as i claims the box "has been altered".

The app is way too restrictive about what it will allow, netflix, iplayer play just fine.

Oh well, xbmc gives me most stuff for free anyway, but a shame sky dont want my money.:D
  • Options
    oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Once again cheers

The now tv box is only £10. Worth buying anyway even as a backup, or for a spare TV.

You can install Plex on it (search web) and through that you can install ITV player (search web also). You can watch ITV player without any adverts out (I guess ITV would find a way of stopping this but I suppose it is not worth the hassle as so few people will actually do this). You would need PLEX server on a PC as well though.
  • Options
    raymartin01raymartin01 Posts: 1,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oilman wrote: »
    The now tv box is only £10. Worth buying anyway even as a backup, or for a spare TV.

You can install Plex on it (search web) and through that you can install ITV player (search web also). You can watch ITV player without any adverts out (I guess ITV would find a way of stopping this but I suppose it is not worth the hassle as so few people will actually do this). You would need PLEX server on a PC as well though.

You don't need Plex! ITV Player is in the Apps store on all Now TV Boxes anyway. Just click and load, then it's in Your Channels.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Never had a problem with topcashback or quidco, always paid out with no problems.

Both companies are not perfect and I have known people who have had problems with both, I haven't, so you need to balance your argument rather than just dismiss it.

You've been lucky, i'm talking from experience and many on money saving forums and consumer action forums have had the same issue.
    No company is perfect i agree but Quidco are the better of the two in my experience.
  • Options
    Zeropoint1Zeropoint1 Posts: 10,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slightly off topic. But if I cancel my Entertainment pass now which still has 2 weeks left to run will I still be able to watch until the expiration date or does it just cut off?

I ask as I've found the 3 months for £15 offer at Currys and Argos so it makes sense to cancel my current rolling subscription and use a gift card instead.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zeropoint1 wrote: »
    Slightly off topic. But if I cancel my Entertainment pass now which still has 2 weeks left to run will I still be able to watch until the expiration date or does it just cut off?

I ask as I've found the 3 months for £15 offer at Currys and Argos so it makes sense to cancel my current rolling subscription and use a gift card instead.

It won't cut off until the pass runs out, cancelling just stops auto-renewal.

You may find when you've gone through the 3 cancellation screens you get offered it for £3.49 a month for 6 months.

That's what happened to me, i had to take it :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnathome wrote: »
    It won't cut off until the pass runs out, cancelling just stops auto-renewal.

You may find when you've gone through the 3 cancellation screens you get offered it for £3.49 a month for 6 months.

That's what happened to me, i had to take it :)

That's even better than the 5 months for £25 offer I saw further down the page! I just hope I get the £3.49 offer :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been offered 4 months at £3.49 so that's still better than the gift card option. Offer accepted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zeropoint1 wrote: »
    I've been offered 4 months at £3.49 so that's still better than the gift card option. Offer accepted.

Apologies, i just checked and mine was 4 months as well.

I'm happy paying this but the full price is too much, now if they dumped a couple of kids channels and added Watch and SyFy it'd be a different matter :)
  • Options
    JimbobthonJimbobthon Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    I only took NowTV up because Samsung offered me 3 months free on the movies package just before Christmas, which was great. I kept it going after the 3 months, and have recently upped it for the entertainment package as well. The only reason i've still got the Sky box in my room is because it's multi-room on my parents account, they are getting rid of Sky in the next month or so and swapping to Freeview and want to tag onto my NowTV package as it allows 2 screens at once on my sub. So i'll soon be paying £9 a month instead of £35, ok i'll miss out on Haven on Syfy. But i can get it via Amazon or Netflix when it comes out.